BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

14 minutes ago, unleaded said:

Really feel for Waggot sometimes.. Players playing games & yet he has to run a ship that’s leaking money ….

These 3 players had no intention to resign and have been playing the club for years now …. Even Mowbray was fed up of answering questions …..They should have been sold off but even then nobody wanted to sign them apart from Bournemouth in the last 6 years but the owners put a stop to that ….. Waggots done well with GB & jDT by hook or by crook …..

The quicker the round table gets installed at Brockhall the better we can start signing players ……

Haha - I’m glad you said that first!

I agree, he has his hands tied a lot by Suhail (Venkys). I know from the conversation I had with him after the Sheff U game that he’d have happily sold all three at Christmas and wasn’t allowed to.

Edited by Paul Mani

14 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Are you seriously saying that they took 2 years to decide on a 3 year contract extension?  Sound like it wasn't there or why not just take the pay rise...🤷‍♂️ hmm...Billy bullshit going on somewhere 

Are we surprised? We're talking about Waggott....

What was is that Andy Cole said about him in his Autobiography? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

A simple “Darragh, we’re offering X, is that enough for you or not?” 

Darragh - “No”

Us - “Right, tell your agent to find you another club please”

SOLD!!

But it's not that simple is it?  We couldn't do without him, he knew it and instead hung on and pocketed the big wage on his next move...he's only getting big money because there was no fee to pay....are you saying that wasn't DL and his agents choice?

7 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Again, it isn't so simple. Nobody had offers on the table 2 years ago. The club did nothing on new contracts during the Covid lockdown. This is part of the issue. We were too late addressing things. 

Of course it is a simple fact the players declined the offers made to them. The issue is what offers were made, when, how were these players treated in negotiations. 

Very easy for the Club to offer 'improved' terms. But if it is too late, disrespectful or a pathetic raise then that adds another dimension to the simple situation you refer to.

And you'll never know will you, just like we'll never know what happened at your last pay discussion at work.

There's lots to get stoked up about in the world but how these ex-players were 'treated' in negotiations is definitely not an issue I'll be getting my knickers in a twist about.....

To say he'd happily have sold all 3 at Christmas after they'd played key parts in getting us into automatic promotion places speaks volumes of the brains and ambition.

Who in their right mind would have even considered that at that point unless the baliffs were knocking.

Clowns.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Losing three players is not great. I know for a fact that both Rothwell and Lenihan have got deals between 2.5x and 4x what we can pay. It’s really as simple as that - Money!

What really should lead to the club being hauled over the coals is why this wasn’t sorted last summer.

Darragh - “No”

SOLD!!

Not selling JR at Christmas was sacrilege. SW and TM had four players including Siriki Dembele and Jed Wallace lined up on long deals which would’ve cost net Zero against the sale, only for Suhail (Venkys) to refuse the sale.

Lol Dembele and Wallace were coming in on The wages we pay?Nonsense 

Plus the Peterborough chairman said Dembele had no interest in joining us and wanted Bournemouth 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

But it's not that simple is it?  We couldn't do without him, he knew it and instead hung on and pocketed the big wage on his next move...he's only getting big money because there was no fee to pay....are you saying that wasn't DL and his agents choice?

Of course we can do without him. Players come and players go.

The budget is the budget. Those cribbing about us not just paying him what he wants have obviously never run a business.

BUT the club need to get tougher with these players. There should be full reviews done at the ‘2yrs’ point. At that point you’ll get a feeling as to how it’s gonna go. I’d sell anyone who has no intention of extending at that point and allow any who are unsure to drift towards that 1yr mark. But no one would be going into the last year for me. I’d have them sold in that summer and have a recruitment plan geared to replace with the cash from sales.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, tomphil said:

To say he'd happily have sold all 3 at Christmas after they'd played key parts in getting us into automatic promotion places speaks volumes of the brains and ambition.

Who in their right mind would have even considered that at that point unless the baliffs were knocking.

Clowns.

He said as clear as day, “If they don’t want to sign I’ll sell them all at Christmas” this is what we should have done with at least 1 or 2.

Though we really shouldn’t have been in that situation.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Lol Dembele and Wallace were coming in on The wages we pay?Nonsense 

Plus the Peterborough chairman said Dembele had no interest in joining us and wanted Bournemouth 

Agreements were apparently in place for those two plus another two and wouldn’t have cost us a penny with the fee plus freed wages for Joe.

Suhail stopped the sale. That was the end of that.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Agreements were apparently in place for those two plus another two and wouldn’t have cost us a penny with the fee plus freed wages for Joe.

Wallace was in talks with Besiktas in January.Sorry Paul but no way I believe Wallace had agreed to come here on the wages we pay 

And I'm quoting the Peterborough chairman on Dembele

We might have had players lined up but not in the class of Wallace.Not buying that at all

7 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

He said as clear as day, “If they don’t want to sign I’ll sell them all at Christmas” this is what we should have done with at least 1 or 2.

Though we really shouldn’t have been in that situation.

So it was said a while before we hit the top 2.

I think what we can all take from this is nobody comes out smelling of roses in our eyes, not the players nor the club.  Like you say it should never have got to this point not with all 3 of them anyway.

The lack of strong decisive leadership and authority to make decisions is the root cause yet again, hopefully the new set up irons this out.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, JHRover said:

There's a difference between us having cash / spending cash, and Steve Waggott telling us via the Telegraph that we have cash.

If he told me Rovers play QPR at home first game of the season I'd go and check the fixture list to make sure.

I've seen and heard enough excuses and failures over the last 4 years to hold my horses on talks of good budgets.

The warning in there is about the 'wage structure'. This the 'structure' that means we cannot keep our captain from the clutches of Middlesbrough, have lost an assortment of valuable key players for nothing and has seen an exodus of players from the club in the last 12 months. It is also this structure that sees a ridiculous discrepancy between what academy graduates playing every week for us get compared to others who barely play.

It really wouldn't surprise me to get the familiar talk in September of 'there was a good budget available but getting those deals done was tricky', 'we'll carry it over to January', players in the building to sign but terms changed at the last minute.

All the excuses Waggott comes with in his latest interview - FFP, wage structures, significant increase in costs - all apply and exist at every other football club in the land - don't they? And I'm not aware of any other club at this level that has managed to offload such a large amount from its wage bill whilst raking in substantial transfer fees in the last 12 months either.

To be fair the other clubs can probably afford bigger wage bills because they generate income. Yet another thing at this club that's been put into the too hard basket.

19 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Losing three players is not great. I know for a fact that both Rothwell and Lenihan have got deals between 2.5x and 4x what we can pay. It’s really as simple as that - Money!

What really should lead to the club being hauled over the coals is why this wasn’t sorted last summer.

Darragh - “No”

SOLD!!

Not selling JR at Christmas was sacrilege. SW and TM had four players including Siriki Dembele and Jed Wallace lined up on long deals which would’ve cost net Zero against the sale, only for Suhail (Venkys) to refuse the sale.

Easy to say now, alot of us at the time would've been fuming if they'd of cashed in on rothwell. Especially since Bournemouth were a direct rival at the time (sounds stupid now with how we finished). Not selling him was seen as a positive. He was arguably playing the best he ever had for rovers. The way it went down with him having come crawling back. Cap in hand and do the interview was bad. Should've just kept it under wraps for me there was no good could come from that. Even if he'd been spotted on the south coast.

• Like 1

Just now, tomphil said:

So it was said a while before we hit the top 2.

I think what we can all take from this is nobody comes out smelling of Rovers in our eyes, not the players nor the club.  Like you say it should never have got to this point not with all 3 of them anyway.

The lack of strong decisive leadership and authority to make decisions is the root cause yet again, hopefully the new set up irons this out.

Nail on head.

Its true that Waggott had his hands tied at Christmas. I think, by his admission he’d have taken the cash for any one of those three and they did have deals lined up for some good players.

But this should NEVER have got to the 6 months point. We don’t have the finances to let out better players go for free. If they (or anyone) isn’t going to sign they should have been sold the summer before last or last summer at the very latest.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Danny O.Brien said:

Easy to say now, alot of us at the time would've been fuming if they'd of cashed in on rothwell. Especially since Bournemouth were a direct rival at the time (sounds stupid now with how we finished). Not selling him was seen as a positive. He was arguably playing the best he ever had for rovers. The way it went down with him having come crawling back. Cap in hand and do the interview was bad. Should've just kept it under wraps for me there was no good could come from that. Even if he'd been spotted on the south coast.

That's true of Rothwell and was opposed to selling him to bournemouth for the reason you raise.

However, halfway through his last contract year is way too late to be addressing this issue

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Danny O.Brien said:

Yep, I’d probably have been pissed off too mate. But Dembele, Wallace and a couple more would’ve appeased me.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Wallace was in talks with Besiktas in January.Sorry Paul but no way I believe Wallace had agreed to come here on the wages we pay 

And I'm quoting the Peterborough chairman on Dembele

We might have had players lined up but not in the class of Wallace.Not buying that at all

I don’t know any of that, but the person who told me this was as close to those negotiating these deals as you could be…🤷🏽‍♂️

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

I heard similar and for me it sums up the dysfunctional way we are run. The manager and CEO see real merit in bringing some money in for a player who they knew would leave for nothing only for that to be scuppered by Pasha who in turn advised the owners accordingly. Mowbray himself said he had two players lined up with the Rothwell money and who knows, that could have got us over the line. That's why I sincerely hope that Broughton is given his head with no interference otherwise I think the most promising thing to happen to us for years will end in tears.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Sparks Rover said:

I'm on about the summer gone.  He played virtually every game so we needed him, he held the aces

I agree with you but that’s only because we are a soft touch. Sell him and buy someone who wants to sign a 4yr contract.

• Like 1

All I know is that Steve Waggot has had three major stints at  clubs: Charlton (got relegated and awful owners who wanted to asset strip) , Coventry (complete mess, ground share, horrendous owners) and Rovers (where he joined when we were in League one with awful owners).

The man is an odious toad who has no success to his name as a chief executive. The only reason he is still here is the rot and cancer that Venkys have festered in our club prevents him from being held responsible for his actions. Until he is sacked I have no faith that anything good will come for our club. 

Every interview he gives only confirms that he is a moron who by some sheer miracle got the position he has. He lies and manipulates  with every word he gives. The man would sell everything he holds dear down the stream for a bit of cash. 

Edited by CambridgeRover
  • Like 6

13 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

I don’t know any of that, but the person who told me this was as close to those negotiating these deals as you could be…🤷🏽‍♂️

Waggott? Believe it if you want put I'd put my house on Wallace not being anywhere close to signing here.

33 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Clowns.

Well it seems as if it was sell 'em or see 'em go for nowt. Like others have suggested I don't think there was ever really a third option option (i.e. they had no real intention of signing new contracts..)

Personally I'd have flogged them. We weren't/aren't ready for promotion and if we had gone up I think next season would have been a car crash...

Edited by yeti-dog