BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

1 hour ago, xtp said:

He's played 70 minutes at Championship level. He's our fifth choice centre back going off how our manager has brought him in (remember he was behind Barnes) . Planned to become our 7th choice centre back if it's true we're bringing two centre backs in. I try to avoid calling people's opinions ridiculous, but to entirely judge a players ability off 70 minutes of top level game time (and declare him better than players who've got many 1000s of minutes under their belt) seems odd to me. 

He's *potentially* much better than Dolan. There's a difference. 

If AP was defending against TD, I'd back AP every single time one on one.....

If you can't tell the difference then that not my fault.  Light years between them

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, des said:

While it's a risk I would be happy to wait for the right players then just sign anyone becaus we are short if players. It's worth waiting for the right ones that the manager wants

Let's be honest, this waiting for quality is essentially us hoping that clubs/players lower their demands so they *may* be within our reach. 

We clearly don't have the budget to sign quality permanent players or they would be here by now.  The 2 we have got are both from league one clubs.

We've heard this line for a few seasons.  History suggests we sign a couple from league one, then fill the loan quota.

Then we get the sob story about excessive demands or being unable to compete with other championship clubs.  

I think JDT is a great appointment.  A breath of fresh air.  Not remotely confident Broughton/Waggott will deliver the players he hopes for.  Our wage structure only seems capable of attracting players outside the top 2 divisions.  

• Like 2

It'll be interesting to see if Ayala gets 'injured' so much under a manager he likes playing for (assuming he will like JDT anyway, who the hell wouldn't?!?!)

In 5 seasons out of 7 at Boro he played 30-odd games.

Van Den Berg is going to be the end of the month I would imagine.  Matip is out for 2 weeks, his progress will be the pending factor in him being released, Gomez should be ok to start their next game.  As an aside they do seem to have a number of crocks who are always injured.

1 hour ago, phili said:

Why? We would be the only club who operate the way you want. For most of the clubs in the entire football league it would be the board or a clubs bankers who will decide if a player is sold or not. Managers/Coaches have very little to do with it. Even Klopp and Guardiola are frequently over ruled by their owners on transfers.

Venky's rejected Rothwell because they wanted to keep the squad together and go for promotion. Surely that was a good thing? We'd all be complaining if it was the other way round.

No it wasn't a good thing, you make out as if there were 2 options, to keep Rothwell or to sell him, without considering the potential to reinvest.

As it is, we ended up with no Rothwell and no money. 

I am not convinced that Klopp and Pep are overruled but the thing is with these instances, they are the opposite. I would get the owners pressuring people to sell someone to raise funds potentially more, but to stubbornly keep players letting their contracts expire rather than letting the manager decide? Absolute rubbish.

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

exactly Phili. The club makes the decision not the manager or head coach. The days when managers make the decisions like Brian Clough did or Sir Alex Ferguson are gone. 

Why don't believe what Phili is saying? do you have any info that can say he is wrong or just your usual attitude when people post what they have been told? 

Maybe you should trust people info more 

This is real football and the club made the decisions on transfers and that including owners being involve in the decision as much as the head coach or managers, Director of Football and CEO of the club. That is how football club works and this isn't playing the game Football Manager on your PC where you make the decisions all yourselves. 

You took seriously the other week that van Hecke was signing because someone joked about it, so perhaps you more than anyone needs to re-evaluate your natural stance on rumours.

The reason that I don't believe that rumour is because it makes no logical sense, it's not a slight on the individual poster by any means.

And the irony of you saying to other people that it is not Football Manager.

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Let's be honest, this waiting for quality is essentially us hoping that clubs/players lower their demands so they *may* be within our reach. 

We clearly don't have the budget to sign quality permanent players or they would be here by now.  The 2 we have got are both from league one clubs.

We've heard this line for a few seasons.  History suggests we sign a couple from league one, then fill the loan quota.

Then we get the sob story about excessive demands or being unable to compete with other championship clubs.  

I think JDT is a great appointment.  A breath of fresh air.  Not remotely confident Broughton/Waggott will deliver the players he hopes for.  Our wage structure only seems capable of attracting players outside the top 2 divisions.  

Spot on and fully agree. Of course I'll be delighted if I'm proven wrong within the next fortnight and we get these players but my money is on more of the same as you say - a couple of loans and excuses as to why we couldn't get deals over the line.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

It'll be interesting to see if Ayala gets 'injured' so much under a manager he likes playing for (assuming he will like JDT anyway, who the hell wouldn't?!?!)

In 5 seasons out of 7 at Boro he played 30-odd games.

Van Den Berg is going to be the end of the month I would imagine.  Matip is out for 2 weeks, his progress will be the pending factor in him being released, Gomez should be ok to start their next game.  As an aside they do seem to have a number of crocks who are always injured.

The injuries seem to co-incide with a permanent change in the weather. We should be ok until the clocks go back.

Even assuming that Ayala who has a history of injuries and Phillips who has shown tendency to break down as his body grows both stay fit, how would people feel about potentially having only those 2 centre backs available over the next 5 games if signings aren't imminent?

Totally get that quality comes first but Tomasson would have the right to feel aggrieved at those above him and I would not be comfortable with having to give Phillips such a run of games.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Even assuming that Ayala who has a history of injuries and Phillips who has shown tendency to break down as his body grows both stay fit, how would people feel about potentially having only those 2 centre backs available over the next 5 games if signings aren't imminent?

Totally get that quality comes first but Tomasson would have the right to feel aggrieved at those above him and I would not be comfortable with having to give Phillips such a run of games.

It’s not like we’ve got other players who could stand in anymore. Nyambe and Johnson could have done a job and if Magloire was still here he’d be on the bench for sure.

What’s the chances of Brittain playing there ?

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

6 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

No it wasn't a good thing, you make out as if there were 2 options, to keep Rothwell or to sell him, without considering the potential to reinvest.

As it is, we ended up with no Rothwell and no money. 

I am not convinced that Klopp and Pep are overruled but the thing is with these instances, they are the opposite. I would get the owners pressuring people to sell someone to raise funds potentially more, but to stubbornly keep players letting their contracts expire rather than letting the manager decide? Absolute rubbish.

For one, our accepted offer for Dembele on deadline day showed there were funds to spend. Mowbray is also on record saying he turned down the option to sign several loan and permanent signings.

They over ruled him on the sale of Rothwell only. They did as you suggested with David Raya and look how badly that turned out for us.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

At that point  would it be the right time to panic?

3 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

It’s not like we’ve got other players who could stand in anymore. Nyambe and Johnson could have done a job and if Magloire was still here he’d be on the bench for sure.

To be fair, I think I would rather play 10 than go with Magloire, but your point in general is 100% correct. We have one injury prone but very good centre back, a kid who has played 60 minutes and nothing else. Without further injuries, we are still so short and the urgency is massive, or should be.

Just now, phili said:

For one, our accepted offer for Dembele on deadline day showed there were funds to spend. Mowbray is also on record saying he turned down the option to sign several loan and permanent signings.

They over ruled him on the sale of Rothwell only. They did as you suggested with David Raya and look how badly that turned out for us.

I don't ever remember him saying that he turned down permanent players, but even if he had, the £5m rumour wouldn't automatically be true.

Ultimately a manager should (if given autonomy) live and die by his decisions (add in director of football too when appropriate) including in the transfer market. A sale you deem to be a bad choice does not mean that the owners should have overruled it! As it is, with a season in between of a shit keeper, Mowbray then signed a very good one but either way, if the issue is the manager (or again, director of football) making below par signings in general (and Mowbray's main faults I would say weren't in this aspect) then the owners shouldn't start interfering with individual decisions, they should change the people who are making those decisions. Sadly they don't seem to judge their employees on performance.

If they occasionally need to ask for a big sale to balance the books or whatever, ok, but they should NOT be overruling decisions on individual players.

9 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Very difficult for the 5 games and the chances are that one of the two is likely to get a strain etc is high.

However I would still prefer to get the right players in that JDT wants than just getting someone who is available. Although with how well under wraps transfers are kept these days, it wouldn't be a surprise to see a 5 min warning for a player we have never heard of that has signed.

9 minutes ago, phili said:

Very difficult for the 5 games and the chances are that one of the two is likely to get a strain etc is high.

However I would still prefer to get the right players in that JDT wants than just getting someone who is available. Although with how well under wraps transfers are kept these days, it wouldn't be a surprise to see a 5 min warning for a player we have never heard of that has signed.

I am certainly not endorsing just signing crap for the sake of it, nobody has.

33 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I doubt that the priority when sourcing a new RB was to know if he could play well at CB in the unlikely event that 4 players in the position picked up an injury at the same time.

Edited by JeffRover

9 minutes ago, Finlay McKenna said:

If we're talking from the perspective of a championship supporter he'd be one of the best in the league

Seen a lot of him in the last 3 years have you? Ronald Koeman also used to be a good CB.