BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

27 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Forgetting Mowbray as my point was about the owners. I dont believe that we had a £5m budget that went unspent, thats my point. Makes even less sense when you factor in that Mowbray complained that he want some money to reinvest. Whether there was arse covering by Mowbray or not, my point is that I don't take much notice of rumours that we have much money unspent and I would presume that is common anyway. If a manager is allocated x amount as a budget, surely the chances of him spending it to the penny are very unlikely anyway. Ill continue to judge on what is spent rather than rumours of what apparently isnt.

My other point is I strongly disagree with the notion of Venkys overuling the manager preventing sales and potential reinvestment and find it incredible that people defend them for it.

Did he say that he would jump at a return? Where are those quotes?

I can believe him leaving a bit in the pot because he wanted to keep the trust of the owners although i reckon Waggot was with him on that.

It's on record pre covid they had a million plus available post Jan because they didn't spend it.   Presumably they then blew that on retaining players they weren't using, must've had owners consent though.  

I do agree that no way is Mowbray ignoring a 5 million spending offer though even if he didn't use it all. I think that's a bit far fetched it's probably more like he left 500k in the pot.

1 minute ago, blue'n white said:

Marius Lode just been released from his contract with Schalke 04. Worked with Broughton at Bodø. Very good player when played correctly. 

Won't pretend to know anything about him, but I wonder why he has been released? Especially with Schalke still being in the second division.

I mentioned Marius Lode the other night, he confirms that he will leave Schalke now. Rovers are one of the clubs interested and have made an offer to Lode. His contract is terminated so there will be no fee for him.

Screenshot_20220816-112714_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Swanson
  • Like 4

39 minutes ago, BigUts said:

You won't get many slower than Ayala and Wharton and they seem to be doing OK this season...

Think they are both better defenders in a 2 . As they are out and out defenders.

Can't remember who but a few games he really really struggled when playing in a 2 .

Was it Coventry and bournmouth maybe ?

1 minute ago, Swanson said:

Norwegian journalist who usually is spot on. There are many other clubs interested though.

Ineligible for GBE at 10 points out of the required 15.

1 hour ago, jim mk2 said:

Van Hecke still sitting on his hands at Brighton, nowhere near being a first pick, waiting to be picked up by any club that's interested. He said he loved it at Rovers and would jump at the chance to return. It's a complete no brainer for us to sign him permanently and you have to presume the money isn't available to sign him - which says everything about the owners' ambitions for the season ahead 

Said it before now, Van Hecke deal is complicated as a close family member is ill. He’s waiting to see whether he moves back to the Netherlands for a season. If he does come here I believe it will be right at the end of the window, if at all. 

Edited by rover23

Just now, rebelmswar said:

Even tho hes an international? Like the idea of free players.

Played twice for Norway, not enough to give him in anything. Need to be playing a solid amount of minutes for a national team that isn't in the Top 5/6 FIFA rank. 

10 hours ago, phili said:

Well he did manage to talk Venky's out of funding a double promotion shot after our league 1 promotion which they wanted to and instead went for a slow a slow build. Also if you chat to Waggott he'll tell you that Mowbray didn't once spend all the transfer budget he was given each window and is one of the reasons why Venky's trusted him.

Venky's gave him the budget in Jan because they want to be Premier League owners again especially after a Indian consortium looked at buying Chelsea as well as another club last year.

Very interesting that and Thanks for sharing the info you have. Very much apprenticed and welcome by all of us. 

10 hours ago, phili said:

I am pretty sure the transfer spend will be around £8-9m at the end of the window.

That will be good to see and hopefully we see good signings being made

1 hour ago, K-Hod said:

Is this actually agreed though? Where have you seen this?

Him being on the bench for Liverpool and then having numerous injuries in his position suggests not….

maybe a agreement is done but Liverpool won't release him until they get centre backs fit which means its all waiting game

1 hour ago, jim mk2 said:

Van Hecke still sitting on his hands at Brighton, nowhere near being a first pick, waiting to be picked up by any club that's interested. He said he loved it at Rovers and would jump at the chance to return. It's a complete no brainer for us to sign him permanently and you have to presume the money isn't available to sign him - which says everything about the owners' ambitions for the season ahead 

who says we haven't got the money? 

Brighton would need another centre back signing before they sold Van Hecke anyway. 

Its abit of waiting game if looking to sign players from PL cos they won't release they yet either cos they want replacements in first or injuries meaning they keep hold of them for the minute. 

29 minutes ago, Swanson said:

I mentioned Marius Lode the other night, he confirms that he will leave Schalke now. Rovers are one of the clubs interested and have made an offer to Lode. His contract is terminated so there will be no fee for him.

Screenshot_20220816-112714_Chrome.jpg

Not gonna lie, I wasn't inspired from the highlights reel. But if he comes, we'll see what he's really about.

43 minutes ago, tomphil said:

I can believe him leaving a bit in the pot because he wanted to keep the trust of the owners although i reckon Waggot was with him on that.

It's on record pre covid they had a million plus available post Jan because they didn't spend it.   Presumably they then blew that on retaining players they weren't using, must've had owners consent though.  

I do agree that no way is Mowbray ignoring a 5 million spending offer though even if he didn't use it all. I think that's a bit far fetched it's probably more like he left 500k in the pot.

There was at least £2m with Dembele rejecting us for Bournemouth.

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

My other point is I strongly disagree with the notion of Venkys overuling the manager preventing sales and potential reinvestment and find it incredible that people defend them for it.

Why? We would be the only club who operate the way you want. For most of the clubs in the entire football league it would be the board or a clubs bankers who will decide if a player is sold or not. Managers/Coaches have very little to do with it. Even Klopp and Guardiola are frequently over ruled by their owners on transfers.

Venky's rejected Rothwell because they wanted to keep the squad together and go for promotion. Surely that was a good thing? We'd all be complaining if it was the other way round.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mellor Rover said:

He may well have been, means feck all. Morton played for them in pre season 24 hours before he signed.

We don't 'need' any right now. We should get through Reading with Ayala and Phillips, Pickering as emergency cover. 

Agreed we need 2, but waiting for the right targets is better than signing those we don't particularly want. 

Brittain was worth the wait, Morton looks like he could well be, and the same with Szmodics. We'll gain more points over a season by signing the right players than we will in the short term by loaning emergency stop-gaps.

We finished Sunday with a back 4 of Buckley, Ayala, Pickering, Edun, of course we need a CB right now. 

• Like 2

At this point the club has to decide whether to hold its nerve to get the preferred targets late in the window or potentially panic if we get another injury.

The perfect scenario would of course involve bringing in our preferred targets this week.

• Like 1