BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

4 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Is he likely to get a significantly better gig than Rovers anywhere else?

Genuine question as I'm not sure he would.  Bit of a gamble but I think it could be a bit of an inspired signing on the right money, adds a bit of experience and could cover various positions. I would actually have preferred him in January to add a touch of experience to get us over the line.

It wouldn’t surprise me if he did Aus or MLS. Clubs over there will lap up signing a player from United, he would get blue skies and a good wage. 

• Like 1

The Jones story sounds unlikely to me and I'm not sure why we'd want him. He's played a grand total of 6 league games in the past 4 seasons so there must be question marks over his match fitness and of course his general fitness given his poor injury record. .He's 30 now so his league career effectively finished at the age of 26. It's a great shame because he was a fantastic prospect at 18 - another Duncan Edwards according to some - but he will always be an unfulfilled talent. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Is he likely to get a significantly better gig than Rovers anywhere else?

Genuine question as I'm not sure he would.  Bit of a gamble but I think it could be a bit of an inspired signing on the right money, adds a bit of experience and could cover various positions. I would actually have preferred him in January to add a touch of experience to get us over the line.

I don't know, but I think he would arguably be a better signing for a lower league Prem club than a Championship club, strangely. Playing once a week for a team who defends deep will be less likely to see him pick up injuries and play to his strengths compared to the relentlessness of the Championship. 

18 minutes ago, booth said:

It'd be a nice twist if he ended his career with us and we ended up back in the PL with him as our Hendry type at the back, but his injury record is pretty terrifying.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/phil-jones/verletzungen/spieler/117996

Ayala has currently bagsied that role! 

Would love jones back if the deal is right though 

• Like 2

Why are we messing about looking at unsatisfactory loans for the likes of (reportedly) Jones and the Liverpool lad and all the problems loans entail when the centre back problem could be solved by making Brighton an offer they cannot refuse for Van Hecke?

The lad was immensely popular last year, looked an excellent prospect and he is reported to be keen on coming back to Ewood. How much would it take - £5 million? Whatever the figure, he would be a good investment for the future and a player only likely to increase in value if he continues to improve. Another Brereton. Time for our billionaire owners to get the cheque book out.  

• Like 9

1 hour ago, JacknOry said:

That link is very inaccurate to begin with. Then, if a 17 year old is put on pro terms to reflect his status as a first teamer/squad player and players feel they deserve more - they can come to the discussion table when their contracts need reneweing. I think most would understand the situation if the lad is worht more to the club long term than they are. Shearer came in on 10x the wages of other first teamers. You just accept it and see if you yourself get a better deal down the line. You earn due to your perceived value to the club. 

I'm really not sure how you evaluate how accurate or inaccurate any of those sites are. Does anyone know for certain what players are on? But if there's one that you think is more accurate, happy to go with that. I'm definitely no expert.

Personally, if I was Lewis Travis or Scott Wharton busting my gut every match, winning us football matches, I wouldn't see why some kid was worth more than me. Players should be rewarded at a club for what they do, not for what they potentially might do in the future. Otherwise, we're practically begging them to turn into Jack Rodwells.

1 hour ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Think that's rubbish personally. None of the rest of the squad (with the possible exception of BBD if he signs a new deal) have a potential future resale value of £40 - £50m. When they have, well then, then they might have a right to complain

Do you think the rest of the squad were unhappy about Shearer earning more than everyone else 92 - 96? Or do you think they'd just be happy to have him in their side rather than someone else's?

Shearer came in with a track record that already proved why he was getting paid what he was. Any striker in the squad could look at him and go, "did I score 21 goals last season? no? better stop complaining then". Plus he banged in goals at a crazy pace after he got here. He stood out as the best player in the team by a country mile. Ash Phillips is unlikely to be able to do that. Even with our threadbare squad, he's our fifth choice centre back. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, BRFC_Polky said:

Jones will probably end up at Inter Miami.

I can’t see us solving our injury crisis with a player more injury prone than Ayala!

Yeah, I’d think maybe DC United, though. More of a pal of “Wazza.”

Sad story, really, but he’s probably done at any seriously competitive level. Maybe Italy, but even that seems a push.

54 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

Yes - but never really seemed as invested as other Rovers fans who played for the club if I'm being truthful. He talked quite a lot about going to the Worthington Cup final in fairness. 

I'm pretty sure that when he left it was widely reported that he was a United fan. Think his Rovers following was due to being a local lad. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Exiled_Rover said:

My dad turned to me after his goal on Sunday and said "if I was a PL club on the fence about buying him, that would have convinced me". 

He obviously then went on to skin two Watford players and lay it on a plate for Gallagher. 

How many strikers are there out there that can run from deep with the ball like he can ? 

• Like 1

It would appear that the Academy supply will provide players capable of Championship football.

However when a calibre of player  above that, ie Philips emerges, it is seemingly impossible to tie down to a professional contract.

With the vast array of player scouting especially at the top level, nobody with extra talent slips under the radar.

How we solve the conundrum is open to debate, expecting loyalty is a thing of the past.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, blondie said:

It would appear that the Academy supply will provide players capable of Championship football.

However when a calibre of player  above that, ie Philips emerges, it is seemingly impossible to tie down to a professional contract.

With the vast array of player scouting especially at the top level, nobody with extra talent slips under the radar.

How we solve the conundrum is open to debate, expecting loyalty is a thing of the past.

it`s about being savvy and using your grey matter,spend a few years learning your trade and then get your move to a really big club,phillips would be badly advised to go to spurs at the moment,he`ll get lost in their system

4 minutes ago, blondie said:

Quite a simple thing to resolve in theory, get promoted.

• Like 1

If he's got anything about him (and any confidence in his fitness/injury status), he would jump at the chance of a 'pay as you play' initial contract.

I'd have him, if the terms were right for us, absolutely.

I’d be surprised if keeping a player with Phillips’ potential is a battle we can ever win.  After seeing him yesterday I think he needs a loan where he can play week in week out. Worst case for him going to Spurs is he gets put on a wage far more than what we can offer and then gets loaned out. Alternatively, he doesn’t get loaned out, learns from premier league level players and coaches, and still gets his great wage. 

Also, us offering him 10k a week is a complete gamble and a sure fire way to piss off an entire squad of players. Plus would stop us being able to strengthen elsewhere.