BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

3 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

I think you make a fair general point but it was bloody stiflingly hot yesterday, which may have impacted on the 'leggy' appearance. Edit: booth just beat me to it.

And the 4 hour match we ended up having thanks to the ref

4 minutes ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

I hope not - there has to be some deterrent to the Premiership clubs who can afford to pay wages way over the odds for youngsters - then just wait and see whether they develop.

It is a tough one for him and his family - he will undoubtedly get more money at Tottenham, but could end up stuck behind a host of expensive recruits. Or he could play for Rovers - in the first team squad - short term less money - but long term who knows.

If it was my son I'd be advising him to sign with Blackburn Rovers.

I'd do the same if he was breaking through at any Championship club at 17. If he's good enough those Premier League offers will be there in a year or two and you'll be in a better bargaining position too.  

• Like 4

Tomasson has started the season as well as mathematically possible, winning every game.

We have been lucky that our threadbare squad going into the season had only really Carter missing but now even a slight hint of a few injuries and we are looking short, we need players in ASAP and if we drop any points with a small squad in the meantime, then Tomasson can look to Broughton and indeed Venkys and feel let down.

And no, I am not asking for rubbish players to be signed to make up the numbers.

• Like 4

I wonder if it is worth looking at Nottingham Forest's squad with them signing so many players, perhaps a few Championship ready players will become surplus to requirements.

We need experience and we need a midfielder, he is not a world beater but how about someone like Jack Colback who can also cover left back as a much more steady option than Edun if Pickering gets injured? Or even Ryan Yates.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I wonder if it is worth looking at Nottingham Forest's squad with them signing so many players, perhaps a few Championship ready players will become surplus to requirements.

We need experience and we need a midfielder, he is not a world beater but how about someone like Jack Colback who can also cover left back as a much more steady option than Edun if Pickering gets injured? Or even Ryan Yates.

Colback started Forests first game, only missed the second due to illness. He's still very much part of their first team. 

They have signed 15 players though, so might be worth having a look at who's surplus to requirements.

• Like 1

When you look at who left earlier this summer I think it provides a good indication of where the club should be looking to strengthen in the remaining days of the window:

Lenihan, Nyambe, Rothwell, Johnson, Van Hecke and Khadra for me are the only serious senior losses compared to last season.

Davenport and Poveda barely played and I don’t even need to mention the rest of them.

So really we should be looking at a minimum of 6 senior signings to plug the gaps in the squad, ideally 4 permanent signings and 2 loan deals.

3 more deals needed before the deadline, with the obvious caveat being the future of BBD, but I think we can only cross that bridge when we come to it.

Just now, davulsukur said:

Colback started Forests first game, only missed the second due to illness. He's still very much part of their first team. 

They have signed 15 players though, so might be worth having a look at who's surplus to requirements.

They have signed Freuler from Atalanta and Mangala who they had only just signed prior to that game and Yates who is carrying an injury also missed that game, plus they are rumoured to want another midfielder. Add in Lewis O'Brien who they have signed and he might struggle (same with Cafu) to even get a place in the 25 man squad.

Just now, JeffRover said:

When you look at who left earlier this summer I think it provides a good indication of where the club should be looking to strengthen in the remaining days of the window:

Lenihan, Nyambe, Rothwell, Johnson, Van Hecke and Khadra for me are the only serious senior losses compared to last season.

Davenport and Poveda barely played and I don’t even need to mention the rest of them.

So really we should be looking at a minimum of 6 senior signings to plug the gaps in the squad, ideally 4 permanent signings and 2 loan deals.

3 more deals needed before the deadline, with the obvious caveat being the future of BBD, but I think we can only cross that bridge when we come to it.

I suppose the problem with direct comparisons is that we are not playing the same formation.

The key with Brereton is making sure that we have targets very much lined up, hopefully of a decent fee and good calibre to instantly be signed. I am not convinced that will happen though.

3 minutes ago, JeffRover said:

I think we're doing ok in terms of 'replacing' players, I think we need to improve on them to push on:

• Rothwell - replaced by Morton (who looked a gudd'n yesterday)
  • Johnson / Davenport - replaced by Wharton and Garrett (neither played much for us last season anyway)
  • Lenihan / Van Hecke - replaced by Carter and Phillips

To push on we need a CB (ideally one who can cover RB with Carter and push Wharton / Ayala for a starting spot), a starting LB (Pickering isn't quick enough and Edun is a disaster there) and a quick CF. 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I suppose the problem with direct comparisons is that we are not playing the same formation.

The key with Brereton is making sure that we have targets very much lined up, hopefully of a decent fee and good calibre to instantly be signed. I am not convinced that will happen though.

I agree that direct comparisons are hard to make, particularly when choosing which areas of the squad to strengthen. I just outlined the number of bodies I think we need at a minimum.

I would bring in 2 CB’s and another striker, but I’m not in charge.

45 minutes ago, booth said:

We weren't leggy, it was freakishly hot. There won't be another matchday as hot as that this year.

That I did not account for, so yes that might have been it thiugh as the game wore on I thought the baggies looked a bit sharper, quicker bit fitter.  Could have been nerves on my part.

56 minutes ago, USABlue said:

I thought overall we looked a bit leggy, not sure we can be playing this way every game unkess our fitness levels continue to get better.  A better team than WBA may have ounished us, thing is there may not be many better teams than them in this division.  So oroud to be a Rover right now.  Sad thing is I can not go into work and brag about it today.  Cis they ain't got a clue what I am on about.

there are not that many better teams then WBA in this league, we just happened to convert our chances and battle like hell.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, USABlue said:

That I did not account for, so yes that might have been it thiugh as the game wore on I thought the baggies looked a bit sharper, quicker bit fitter.  Could have been nerves on my part.

They were all sweating buckets, I just think WBA have some good players. One thing I was impressed with is that JDT was making sure the players were okay and getting them to drink plenty when they could. Before his substitution, JDT personally checked if Phillips was okay.

Everyone was laboured walking to and from the match, I can't imagine running about for 100 minutes plus in that heat. My best wishes also go to the brave soldiers in the Riverside stand who must have had blinding sun in their direction, for the duration.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, glen9mullan said:

Still interest there, expect this to go to end of window, like anything the deal needs to suit the coffers.

Another name though is Chilean Alexander Aravena

He’s a forward 🤦‍♂️

14 minutes ago, glen9mullan said:

Still interest there, expect this to go to end of window, like anything the deal needs to suit the coffers.

He looks a lovely player going off those highlights. Worth the risk picking up a possible gem like that at 19. 

17 minutes ago, glen9mullan said:

Not fit to lace Carlos Villanueva's boots!!

I jest, thanks for the link Glenn - at least something interesting to look up and think about.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, glen9mullan said:

Looks alright! Probably worth a punt, he'll cost absolute peanuts.

Plus, who knows... bringing in a "Chilean Friend" might convince BBD to sign on for a couple more years, right? Meh, probably not.

Edited by TheRevAshton
  • Like 1