BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Wait a second it wasn't long ago that you thought we wouldn't make any cash signings at all this summer but we have, and you and some others were worried that we would throw away these 7 first games cos we haven't made enough signings, well JDT and the players have proven that definitely wrong haven't they? 

And it wasn't long ago you were predicting a swathe of new signings before the season started, and we've signed 3. So you've been proven wrong there haven't you?

We can all play games about where predictions made on here haven't materialised. Window still open so nobody proven right or wrong on transfer predictions yet.

I don't recall ever saying we wouldn't make any cash signings at all this summer. I think I said that we would be limited to a few hundred grand signings here and there in similar fashion to last year when we got Pickering and Edun, and I also said I expected that they would recoup any outlay made with sales, which if Brereton leaves they certainly will.

• Like 3

Let's stop the hypothetical chat lol.

We all thought we needed signings desperately and that with a 1/4 or a 1/3 of games played before the window closed we really needed signings quickly.

Thankfully the new manager bounce + JDT being a football genius has negated the need for signings instantly. But we desperately do need signings ASAP because this won't continue.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TheRevAshton said:

Ash Phillips is looking great so far, it's all quite bittersweet though.

I love how he's performing well for us, but with him not signing the contract yet and the big dogs lurking - it really puts a dampener on it.

Hopefully he shows some loyalty to the team that nurtured him and signs a long contract - then if he turns out to be as good as expected, a big PL team should have no issue paying the large fee for him.

Plus, he may end up playing PL football with us if he sticks about!

Agreed. Although the lure of “playing” for a side with ambitions at the top end of the Premier League might be too much, he’s definitely going to get more first team football here.

He might get some senior game time for Spurs, but it will be limited to the odd Carabao Cup appearance and representing the U23’s in the Checkatrade/Auto Windscreen/Johnstone’s Paint or whatever it is now. 

The one thing for sure is the more he plays for us now (before Wharton comes back at least), the more we can expect from a tribunal if he does decide to leave.

The tribunal fees tend to be a lot higher than they used to be - certainly better than when Bostock went from Palace to Spurs (eerily similar if Phillips goes to them) and Simon Jordan was livid.

Harvey Elliott went for around £7m/£8m after 3 first team games, aged just over 16.

Ampadu went for around £2.5m after 13 senior games at League 2 level, aged just shy of 17.

Hopefully if he stays in the side and churns out the sort of performances he did yesterday, if the worst comes to the worst it will at least improve the fee we get.

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Let's stop the hypothetical chat lol.

We all thought we needed signings desperately and that with a 1/4 or a 1/3 of games played before the window closed we really needed signings quickly.

Thankfully the new manager bounce + JDT being a football genius has negated the need for signings instantly. But we desperately do need signings ASAP because this won't continue.

The fantastic start we have had shouldn't be allow to paper over the cracks of a wafer think squad. In fact Tomasson mentioned the number of players out against the number in only last week after speaking about it before. By Saturday we will have played three games in six days and we are already really limited in certain areas and unless we bring some bodies in will be really stretched. I know the window is open for a couple of weeks yet but many of us (and almost certainly Tomasson too) wanted the business done much earlier because of the situation we are now in with injuries. We still have four league matches get before the window closes.

That said I have been told that Liverpool will make a decision on VdB after their game tonight. If their centre backs come through unscathed and their injury situation has improved he will be here tomorrow according to what I've heard.

• Like 3

On 21/07/2022 at 19:24, glen9mullan said:

Reliably informed from Barnsley side (agent) that Styles is rovers bound, seen as a Smith-Rowe type player.

Some fine details re sell on clauses, but this is likely to happen.

This is not related to my meeting today, which i will report on later

Whatever happened to this by the way?!

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, CoconutGrove said:

Agreed. Although the lure of “playing” for a side with ambitions at the top end of the Premier League might be too much, he’s definitely going to get more first team football here.

He might get some senior game time for Spurs, but it will be limited to the odd Carabao Cup appearance and representing the U23’s in the Checkatrade/Auto Windscreen/Johnstone’s Paint or whatever it is now. 

The one thing for sure is the more he plays for us now (before Wharton comes back at least), the more we can expect from a tribunal if he does decide to leave.

The tribunal fees tend to be a lot higher than they used to be - certainly better than when Bostock went from Palace to Spurs (eerily similar if Phillips goes to them) and Simon Jordan was livid.

Harvey Elliott went for around £7m/£8m after 3 first team games, aged just over 16.

Ampadu went for around £2.5m after 13 senior games at League 2 level, aged just shy of 17.

Hopefully if he stays in the side and churns out the sort of performances he did yesterday, if the worst comes to the worst it will at least improve the fee we get.

I may be wrong, but didn’t the players you mention sign professional contracts? Phillips hasn’t so we won’t get much, I’d think a few hundred thousand?

I thought overall we looked a bit leggy, not sure we can be playing this way every game unkess our fitness levels continue to get better.  A better team than WBA may have ounished us, thing is there may not be many better teams than them in this division.  So oroud to be a Rover right now.  Sad thing is I can not go into work and brag about it today.  Cis they ain't got a clue what I am on about.

7 minutes ago, imy9 said:

I may be wrong, but didn’t the players you mention sign professional contracts? Phillips hasn’t so we won’t get much, I’d think a few hundred thousand?

I hope not - there has to be some deterrent to the Premiership clubs who can afford to pay wages way over the odds for youngsters - then just wait and see whether they develop.

It is a tough one for him and his family - he will undoubtedly get more money at Tottenham, but could end up stuck behind a host of expensive recruits. Or he could play for Rovers - in the first team squad - short term less money - but long term who knows.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, USABlue said:

I thought overall we looked a bit leggy, not sure we can be playing this way every game unkess our fitness levels continue to get better.  A better team than WBA may have ounished us, thing is there may not be many better teams than them in this division.  So oroud to be a Rover right now.  Sad thing is I can not go into work and brag about it today.  Cis they ain't got a clue what I am on about.

We weren't leggy, it was freakishly hot. There won't be another matchday as hot as that this year.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, booth said:

The excellent start is probably curtailing any rush for signings. We'll struggle if we continue to push our luck though.

I don't think one is influencing the other - they're after a certain quality of player and those deals are taking time to get over the line.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, USABlue said:

I think you make a fair general point but it was bloody stiflingly hot yesterday, which may have impacted on the 'leggy' appearance. Edit: booth just beat me to it.

Edited by oldjamfan1
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, USABlue said:

Exactly, they'll be in the Playoff mix come the end of the season. 

We looked leggy because the weather was ridiculous. Whenever we need a break during games we drop into that mid block. 

We need reinforcements due to injuries rather than tiredness at the moment - although that will soon change with 2 games a week for the forseeable. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, USABlue said:

I agree but how many teams are genuinely better than WBA in this league? There won't be many.

9 minutes ago, booth said:

I'm probably in the minority here but we still need a goalscorer.

If BBD gets injured the goals will dry up again. Just his presence means that other attacking players get more space.

We need a CB, a LB and an attacker (preferably a quick CF) to consider it a 'good' window. 

• Like 3