BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

3 hours ago, glen9mullan said:

Still interest there, expect this to go to end of window, like anything the deal needs to suit the coffers.

Another name though is Chilean Alexander Aravena

Only this from Glen - first part is answering a question regarding Styles. 

4 hours ago, Exiled_Rover said:

If it was my son I'd be advising him to sign with Blackburn Rovers.

I'd do the same if he was breaking through at any Championship club at 17. If he's good enough those Premier League offers will be there in a year or two and you'll be in a better bargaining position too.  

Agree to a large extent, but the problem is if he doesn't do well enough or gets a serious injury he might never land life changing money again. I bet Spurs would think little of throwing a 10k p/w 4 yr deal at him. That's 2 million quid. Enough to set anyone up for life if they're sensible and smart with it. Also, Spurs can just send him on loan to the Championship, especially now he is showing he can compete in it.

4 hours ago, JeffRover said:

When you look at who left earlier this summer I think it provides a good indication of where the club should be looking to strengthen in the remaining days of the window:

Lenihan, Nyambe, Rothwell, Johnson, Van Hecke and Khadra for me are the only serious senior losses compared to last season.

Davenport and Poveda barely played and I don’t even need to mention the rest of them.

So really we should be looking at a minimum of 6 senior signings to plug the gaps in the squad, ideally 4 permanent signings and 2 loan deals.

3 more deals needed before the deadline, with the obvious caveat being the future of BBD, but I think we can only cross that bridge when we come to it.

Increasingly you have to wonder if Premier League clubs are actually interested in BBD, or at least for a significant fee. For strikers in the Championship Brentford signed Lewis-Potter from Hull for around £17m, Watford sold Dennis for £20m to Forest and are now reported to have turned down a £20m offer this afternoon from Newcastle for Joao Pedro. These players all seem to be better regarded than BBD.

12 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Increasingly you have to wonder if Premier League clubs are actually interested in BBD, or at least for a significant fee. For strikers in the Championship Brentford signed Lewis-Potter from Hull for around £17m, Watford sold Dennis for £20m to Forest and are now reported to have turned down a £20m offer this afternoon from Newcastle for Joao Pedro. These players all seem to be better regarded than BBD.

It is interesting isn't it - I do wonder what BBD's agent has been telling interested clubs. His agent could be telling BBD to sit tight for 12 months and then leave on a free. Come Christmas he can sign a pre-contract with a foreign club. IF this is his agents strategy he is playing a risky game - ask Dack, all it takes is one bad injury and that big move can disappear.

Also, I can understand Premiership clubs being wary considering his poor form prior to last season. Personally I feel he has turned a corner in his career - and will now go from strength to strength. 

Edited by DavidMailsTightPerm

3 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

Be interesting if someone bids for BBD and JDT is happy to take the money as he has a few others lined up....and then Venky's do a 'Rothwell' and refuse to sell. 

All at Ewood know what an offer has to be for Venky's to agree to sell BBD and if clubs don't hit that amount he won't be sold.

1 minute ago, phili said:

All at Ewood know what an offer has to be for Venky's to agree to sell BBD and if clubs don't hit that amount he won't be sold.

If he keeps playing as he is then that figure may go up in the next few weeks. 

What was the minimum Venky's would have accepted for Rothwell BTW? They scuppered Mowbray's transfer plans in Jan by all accounts by refusing to sell for £3m. 

4 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

They have signed Freuler from Atalanta and Mangala who they had only just signed prior to that game and Yates who is carrying an injury also missed that game, plus they are rumoured to want another midfielder. Add in Lewis O'Brien who they have signed and he might struggle (same with Cafu) to even get a place in the 25 man squad.

Fair enough, I don't really know too much about their new signings.

25 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Agree to a large extent, but the problem is if he doesn't do well enough or gets a serious injury he might never land life changing money again. I bet Spurs would think little of throwing a 10k p/w 4 yr deal at him. That's 2 million quid. Enough to set anyone up for life if they're sensible and smart with it. Also, Spurs can just send him on loan to the Championship, especially now he is showing he can compete in it.

We could match 10k p/w surely? Or even better it. We are paying more than that for many of the loans we bringing in. Gallacher is on 20k+ and some would argue he is not worth that. Ayala is on top wages and while a beast, plays half a season (to date). Dack is a top earner but another that has not played for 2 seasons (unfortunately). Doesnt seem like we are getting much value with those three contracts at the moment. We could definitely get value from a contract half that size for a promising your CD claimed by many as best his position in the country at his age. Or, lose for a pittance to Spuds. 

4 year deal, 10k per week - get it done now, Waggot! 

By time contract ends, he is still a kid ffs. I doubt he will finish it anyway if he becomes the big star many expect. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Contract comes into it surely? One year left? I think unless someone gets desperate on deadline day - he will go for free next season and have his pickings. 

6 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

What was the minimum Venky's would have accepted for Rothwell BTW? They scuppered Mowbray's transfer plans in Jan by all accounts by refusing to sell for £3m. 

With Rothwell it is interesting because Venky's provided Mowbray a budget of around £5m for Jan signings which he didn't use. He wanted to sell Rothwell to fund his signings, Venky's said the money is there and didn't want to sell anyone who could get us promotion.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Good for us if they aren't.

15 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

My dad turned to me after his goal on Sunday and said "if I was a PL club on the fence about buying him, that would have convinced me". 

He obviously then went on to skin two Watford players and lay it on a plate for Gallagher. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, phili said:

With Rothwell it is interesting because Venky's provided Mowbray a budget of around £5m for Jan signings which he didn't use. He wanted to sell Rothwell to fund his signings, Venky's said the money is there and didn't want to sell anyone who could get us promotion.

Very strange behaviour. Mowbray said to a chap off here who met him (can't remember who) that he had players lined up but couldn't sign cos Venky's refused the Rothwell money.

6 minutes ago, phili said:

Absolutely bizarre, wasn't it. Most managers would be doing cartwheels their owners were refusing to cash in on your best players, not publicly breaking ranks and having a massive strop about it.

1 minute ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

Very strange behaviour. Mowbray said to a chap off here who met him (can't remember who) that he had players lined up but couldn't sign cos Venky's refused the Rothwell money.

Jed Wallace, Swift and That peterborough lad (forgot his name), apparently.  

Just now, phili said:

How do you know this?

It makes no sense that Mowbray declined to spend £5m yet tried to sell Rothwell to raise a similar amount to spend on the team, if he could have had those players anyway.

The biggest worry is that the owners are removing the autonomy of the manager (or now the manager AND director of football) to make footballing decisions. It shouldn't be a case of the owners insist that x is paid or y isn't sold. 

If say the fee in mind is £20m, and someone offers £17m and Tomasson thinks, I'd rather take the money and spend £10m on someone else rather than lose him for free, he should certainly not be overruled.

4 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

How do you know this?

It makes no sense that Mowbray declined to spend £5m yet tried to sell Rothwell to raise a similar amount to spend on the team, if he could have had those players anyway.

The biggest worry is that the owners are removing the autonomy of the manager (or now the manager AND director of football) to make footballing decisions. It shouldn't be a case of the owners insist that x is paid or y isn't sold. 

If say the fee in mind is £20m, and someone offers £17m and Tomasson thinks, I'd rather take the money and spend £10m on someone else rather than lose him for free, he should certainly not be overruled.

On the flip side though, if the owners decided they wanted to sell Players A, B, C and D to either secure the Club's financial future or even simply because they wished to trouser the cash then the manager would have no say in that whatsoever, he'd have to grin and bear it.

So why should it be solely Mowbray or JDT's decision whether or not a key asset is sold? If Venky's decide they particularly want to keep a key player then they should be entitled to make that choice or at least have a say in the matter. The manager works for them not the other way round.

29 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

We could match 10k p/w surely? Or even better it. We are paying more than that for many of the loans we bringing in. Gallacher is on 20k+ and some would argue he is not worth that. Ayala is on top wages and while a beast, plays half a season (to date). Dack is a top earner but another that has not played for 2 seasons (unfortunately). Doesnt seem like we are getting much value with those three contracts at the moment. We could definitely get value from a contract half that size for a promising your CD claimed by many as best his position in the country at his age. Or, lose for a pittance to Spuds. 

4 year deal, 10k per week - get it done now, Waggot! 

By time contract ends, he is still a kid ffs. I doubt he will finish it anyway if he becomes the big star many expect. 

At that point, 75% of our squad start knocking on Waggot's door asking why some kid who's played one game is getting 2-3 times their salary. Would annihilate squad morale instantly. 

Estimated (guessed) squad wages last year: https://salarysport.com/football/sky-bet-championship/blackburn-rovers/

Edited by xtp

3 minutes ago, all you need is duff said:

I know we don’t have much control over the situation if no one is bidding for him but it makes terrible business sense to allow BBD to stay without signing a new contract. Surely we have to be touting him to other clubs if he refuses to sign a new contract

What's the point in selling if no-one is offering a realistic amount?

In any event, given the start we've made, are we not better hanging on and seeing how the season unfolds?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, xtp said:

At that point, 75% of our squad start knocking on Waggot's door asking why some kids who's played one game is getting 2-3 times their salary. Would annihilate squad morale instantly. 

Think that's rubbish personally. None of the rest of the squad (with the possible exception of BBD if he signs a new deal) have a potential future resale value of £40 - £50m. When they have, well then, then they might have a right to complain

Do you think the rest of the squad were unhappy about Shearer earning more than everyone else 92 - 96? Or do you think they'd just be happy to have him in their side rather than someone else's?

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

Think that's rubbish personally. None of the rest of the squad (with the possible exception of BBD if he signs a new deal) have a potential future resale value of £40 - £50m. When they have, well then, then they might have a right to complain

Do you think the rest of the squad were unhappy about Shearer earning more than everyone else 92 - 96? Or do you think they'd just be happy to have him in their side rather than someone else's?

Shearer was the best player in the country ! Phillips has played a couple of games.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, phili said:

With the greatest of respect that simply isn't true.

How would that make any sense for a club with injuries and its main striker going away on international duty?

If it doesn't make sense its probably not true.

• Like 2