BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

I think the romance factor on the Phil Jones talk could be skewing people's judgement and even I have gone back and forth, id probably leave him if it was even remotely possible. Confidence seems shot and very little game time, this squad seems very tight knit and hungry. Not sure how Jones or similar would work in the dressing room.

No point getting in people for the sake of it as others have said but we still should be identifying available defenders that will be squad players too, need to plan forward, at the minute the approach from the club and for the last few years seems to be "sure we don't need a left back...we have one". 

Competition for places cannot be underestimated, there is too many positions in the team whereby if we get an injury there is a massive gulf in quality in the deputy. Needs addressing.

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

Spot on and fully agree. Of course I'll be delighted if I'm proven wrong within the next fortnight and we get these players but my money is on more of the same as you say - a couple of loans and excuses as to why we couldn't get deals over the line.

It's the hope that things have changed that kills you. 

All be clear in a fortnight. 

If this manager isn't backed in the next fortnight given his fantastic start to life, scaled back wage bill and gaping holes in the squad then we've got serious problems.

I'm not interested in the slightest about the usual excuses of 'asking' about players, or lining deals up that then don't materialise.

The shortages are there for all to see - the manager wants and needs signings - excuses won't cut it. This guy isn't a dolloper who is going to sit here for 4 years and be mucked around every window.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

who says we haven't got the money? 

Brighton would need another centre back signing before they sold Van Hecke anyway 

Who says we have the money? And even if someone has said we have money to spend there's precious little sign of any significant sums being spent so far

If no serious money is spent this window the only assumption can be is that we don't have the money and it was never there in the first place

Have Brighton said that in relation to Van Hecke? 

4 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Who says we have the money? And even if someone has said we have money to spend there's precious little sign of any significant sums being spent so far

If no serious money is spent this window the only assumption can be is that we don't have the money and it was never there in the first place

The last update on Van Hecke I read here was that he had family issues and was looking at moving back to Holland.

Edited by phili
Misspelling

3 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

No it wasn't a good thing, you make out as if there were 2 options, to keep Rothwell or to sell him, without considering the potential to reinvest.

As it is, we ended up with no Rothwell and no money. 

But according to several different people who have all posted similar stuff that we have money to spend in January but Mowbray didn't spend it. Mowbray should take full responsible for our failure to get at least playoff place cos he had money to spend. Plenty of players we could sign. 

You took seriously the other week that van Hecke was signing because someone joked about it, so perhaps you more than anyone needs to re-evaluate your natural stance on rumours.

The reason that I don't believe that rumour is because it makes no logical sense, it's not a slight on the individual poster by any means.

Ultimately a manager should (if given autonomy) live and die by his decisions (add in director of football too when appropriate) including in the transfer market

And the irony of you saying to other people that it is not Football Manager. 

I didn't people would posted false stories on here but he did. 

Your all attitude about the only person who decide who we sign or sell is like a football manager mentality but real football and most football clubs don't work that way any more Those days have gone. Do you not accept this that the club made the decisions on transfers in and out, and it is not the sole responsible of the head coach or manager to make their decisions?

3 hours ago, JHRover said:

Spot on and fully agree. Of course I'll be delighted if I'm proven wrong within the next fortnight and we get these players but my money is on more of the same as you say - a couple of loans and excuses as to why we couldn't get deals over the line.

I really hope you are proven wrong JH!

Even assuming that Ayala who has a history of injuries and Phillips who has shown tendency to break down as his body grows both stay fit, how would people feel about potentially having only those 2 centre backs available over the next 5 games if signings aren't imminent?

Totally get that quality comes first but Tomasson would have the right to feel aggrieved at those above him and I would not be comfortable with having to give Phillips such a run of games.

We sign players when we can and bring in quality over just average squad players like we seen before. 

JDT wants quality signings and understand they time to bring in. JDT seems to back the club approach and seems more than happy with it. Your point about bring feeling aggrieved seems you trying to make problems that aren't there. 

I would be more than comfortable given Phillips a run of games given his very good performance on Sunday where he was comfortable all game until he got cramp. Its confirm to me he is ready to play his part in the first team this season like I said he would be. 

42 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Haven't we spend about 1 million on Brittain and around 2.5 on Szmodics so its shows Money is there and JDT and Broughton have both said we have money to spend, so maybe look at those quotes Jim? 

Its common sense that Brighton would need a centre back given that they back 3 and have 5 CB's including Van Hecke currently so would need a replacement for Van Hecke otherwise they wouldn't let go. 

Edited by chaddyrovers

10 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I would be more than comfortable given Phillips a run of games given his very good performance on Sunday where he was comfortable all game until he got crap. 

I thought he was good for the whole time he was on? Harsh judgement on a youth in his league debut…

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Haven't we spend about 1 million on Brittain and around 2.5 on Szmodics so its shows Money is there and JDT and Broughton have both said we have money to spend, so maybe look at those quotes Jim? 

Its common sense that Brighton would need a centre back given that they back 3 and have 5 CB's including Van Hecke currently so would need a replacement for Van Hecke otherwise they wouldn't let go. 

The money spent on those 2 isn't very much and is not the sort of serious money that funds serious promotion bids. Rovers desperately need more players - permanent ones,not loans - and that requires proper money to be spent. I don't see any sign of it so far

So you're just guessing that Brighton would need to find another centre back before letting Van Hecke go which is a bit different from your previous statement