BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

4 minutes ago, neophox said:

Think Dack may start tomorrow against Reading...

I clicked a link on the LET site yesterday, saying Bradley and his girlfriend had a new addition to the family and thought he’d quite that quiet. Turns out they’ve got a new dog! Hopefully he won’t pull anything picking all the poop. Maybe he’ll do a goal celebration? Like the Bebeto one? But for a doggy; pretending to a squatting dog by the corner flag probably would go down in history. 

Edited by Dan

We need a few players being brought in and we have repeatedly been told that the club are trying and players will arrive regardless of a Brererton sale.

We would probably get some of the Brererton money as extra to reinvest but that money if given for a singular player and a Brererton replacement it will most likely be a similar profile as what we got when we bought Brererton a younger player with potential as even if we were to shell out a decent wedge we do not pay the wages to attract a proven top man.Last 2 games Brererton has me convinced if stays relatively fit another 20+ goals are on the cards this season.Unless lucky we won't be replacing that 

Id only sell if it meant failing Ffp and the sanctions that come with it but been no suggestion that is the case and the better a season we have the more likely our other assets value grows

4 minutes ago, BRFC_Polky said:

Bowler with the winner for Blackpool tonight, if Diaz does leave we should signing him ASAP.

We’d need two Bowlers to replace Ben. We’d have to spend every penny of the transfer money and even then I don’t think it’d be worth it. If he’d scored his recent goals for Norwich or Watford they’d be on Sky Sports news every five minutes. £30 million price tag for me and maybe a defender coming the other way on top. At the rate he’s improving he could be up there with our best. 

• Like 1

Bit of a dilemma with brereton, need our best players for promotion bid, can’t afford to get nothing from the investment we made on him. Wouldn’t mind a keep till Xmas and re-assess where we are as a club option. If promotion looks unlikely, money back, if promotion on the cards keep and take the gamble 

• Like 4

Unless we only get pitiful offers we cant afford to just let him run down his contract. Not even to do with FFP, it makes little sense.

The thing that we should do though if it genuinely isnt a necessity to sell him is to spend the majority on a replacement. Riis is mentioned above, players like him, Adebayo, Stewart and Gyokeres are all possibly slightly beyond us but thats the sort of calibre im thinking, maybe someone from abroad if not them 4. Its a no brainer to have either Brereton for 1 season or another goalscorer on a long term deal.

That should be the aim, buy, sell at profit, reinvest (usually I wouldnt even expect a majority/all to be reinvested but on the back of the Armstrong sale too) and continue. Its presumably only a lack of faith in Venkys to act consistently like that which makes people especially unwilling to think he should be sold rather than left to run his deal down and that is unfortunately why comparisons to teams like Brentford who successfully deploy that sort of policy are pie in the sky.

We sat back and allowed £10 million to go down the pan this summer by neglecting the Lenihan, Nyambe and Rothwell situations, even when presented with a chance to claw some cash in for Rothwell in January.

So it seems to me we can afford to let his contract run down.

If we aren't going to reinvest the proceeds and spend on quality does it benefit Rovers in any way?

• Like 1

Just now, JHRover said:

We sat back and allowed £10 million to go down the pan this summer by neglecting the Lenihan, Nyambe and Rothwell situations, even when presented with a chance to claw some cash in for Rothwell in January.

So it seems to me we can afford to let his contract run down.

If we aren't going to reinvest the proceeds and spend on quality does it benefit Rovers in any way?

Again, why wouldnt it be reinvested?

6 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Unless we only get pitiful offers we cant afford to just let him run down his contract. Not even to do with FFP, it makes little sense.

The thing that we should do though if it genuinely isnt a necessity to sell him is to spend the majority on a replacement. Riis is mentioned above, players like him, Adebayo, Stewart and Gyokeres are all possibly slightly beyond us but thats the sort of calibre im thinking, maybe someone from abroad if not them 4. Its a no brainer to have either Brereton for 1 season or another goalscorer on a long term deal.

That should be the aim, buy, sell at profit, reinvest (usually I wouldnt even expect a majority/all to be reinvested but on the back of the Armstrong sale too) and continue. Its presumably only a lack of faith in Venkys to act consistently like that which makes people especially unwilling to think he should be sold rather than left to run his deal down and that is unfortunately why comparisons to teams like Brentford who successfully deploy that sort of policy are pie in the sky.

For me it's worth a gamble.

The league at the moment looks shit to me and we are not far off having a squad capable of sustaining a challenge if four players of decent quality are brought in before deadline.

Sepp looks likely to happen, a player capable playing for a team challenging for promotion imo...3 or 4 others either loan or permanent and keep Brererton and could be our best chance in years to go up.

Not sure if Sarr injured but wasn't playing for Watford tonight, Dennis already gone, Newcastle going back in for Pedro.Burnley changed half their team ,Norwich haven't started great but be up there at end of season.

Hard to argue against longer term it would be better sourcing a replacement and getting what we can for him but I think in the shorter term keeping him would be our best bet of doing something this season

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, garnersfags said:

This is the pivotal point. 

Is his overwhelmingly positive influence on the team not worth 4 or £5m?

If we happen to go up, and it's a very, very big 'if', I really believe he would sign a new contract and stay. 

How can a young championship reserve who's never played a game be worth £7m but the best striker in the Championship, playing for the side top of the league, is worth less than £15m? 

With him, we have ambitions of top 2.

Without him, we have ambitions of the play-offs.

All for the sake of less than we paid for Gally.

He is irreplaceable, given our current circumstances. Almost regardless of who replaces him. 

I really think he will do a lot of JDTs job for him, if we can only keep him. 

The answer unfortunately is the shambles contract situation (as seen with other first teamers)

I’d keep him unless we get £20m, what’s the point like you say given the time invested in him and how good he’s got now. Wouldn’t go near £10m

We we’re offered £4m (allegedly) for Rothwell with 6 months on his contract! No chance we should settle for under-offers now for Brereton 

Edited by superniko
  • Like 1

One thing that would be (slightly) interesting to know is whether we had to pay Forest on the 'international honours' clause on the deal?

Believe it was intended (possibly written) as 'England caps', so not sure if we would have paid out on this, with the whole Chile thing.

If we're promoted - and he's still here - we will owe them a couple of million.

But as things stand, we've not paid anywhere near the £7m/£8m that seems to get bandied about a lot for him.

Edited by Andy

37 minutes ago, JHRover said:

I think the benefit of having Brereton in the team for the next 43 games is at least as great if not greater than receiving a few million quid profit that won't be spent.

You’ll be first in line slamming the owners if he leaves for nothing next year. If we want to be less reliant on Venky’s, this is the model we have to live with. 

Dont want him to go but it seems inevitable, as it was with Armstrong. If it gets north of £15-17m then we can’t turn that down.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

You’ll be first in line slamming the owners if he leaves for nothing next year. If we want to be less reliant on Venky’s, this is the model we have to live with. 

Dont want him to go but it seems inevitable, as it was with Armstrong. If it gets north of £15-17m then we can’t turn that down.

the important thing is that we leave enough time to adequately reinvest 

• Like 1

£15m is a good fee, but I don’t think they’ll let him go for that, even as all-cash. I think it will likely have to be £20m + add-ons. And honestly, fair enough.

I appreciate the contract aspect weakens a negotiating position, but if someone wants to buy your absolute best asset from you and you can still make use of it, possibly to your enormous benefit, you keep the asset until your price is met. Especially so if you aren’t desperate for cash, which we apparently aren’t.

It’s impossible to negotiate with someone who doesn’t want to negotiate, believe me I’ve tried. If you want something and they won’t negotiate, you either pay their price or you make do elsewhere. Too much cash in football to be getting shafted on our best asset, he’s easily a £20m player, even on less than a 12-month deal.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Finlay McKenna said:

Again, why wouldnt it be reinvested?

Same reason they didn't reinvest the Rhodes, Gestede, Armstrong cash. It disappears into running costs, or supposedly 'used' towards FFP.

Or, if by some miracle it was provided for new signings, we would then move onto Chapter 2 of the book of excuses- lack of time to get signings done, richer clubs coming in and offering what we can't, our self imposed wage structure which essentially means we can't get players from above League One level irrespective of transfer fee. 

We've seen and heard it all before. 

• Like 3

Seen a few people saying that we 'have' to sell him and reinvest the money in order to further our replication of the Brentford model 

People have short memories. It's as though they have completely forgotten the track record of NOT reinvesting transfer funds and also the loss of 3 major assets already this summer for nothing which is NOT remotely like the Brentford model 

• Like 3