BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

At the end of the day bbd has only had one good season, how many Pl clubs would be willing to take that chance?  
Also the grass isn’t always greener on the other side, just look at what Armstrong is doing. He’s lost his momentum and will end up in the abyss.
Offer bbd a good championship contract with a release clause. Best of both worlds for him and club
Either way, whatever happens i wish the lad well!

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, JHRover said:

You might be right there, but then Rothwell would have been worth a lot more than Bournemouth offered if he was under long term contract.

So increase that figure for Rothwell drastically. Then you don't need much for the other two to hit £10 million.

Point remains that we aren't 'doing a Brentford', far from it letting assets walk for nothing.

It also suggests the chances of replacing Brereton with proven quality is almost zero. Our 'wage structure' has seen those departures and will prevent us offering competitive terms to proven quality.

you are missing the point surely!

If a player doesn't sign the contract on offer and with both DL and RN, there was always hope they both would, and then having one at least indicating he was happy to sign but then declined, the club cant do anything more about it, players choice. Nyambe was kippered by his agent who thought the cash cow was coming his way, truth is it never did and never will for him. He declined, crawled back dithered more and then Rovers withdrew the offer, quite righty so in my view.

The club cannot and should not offer wages way above what the club values them at. Players have become uses to huge windfalls of cash being on offer, that is now changing outside of the PL and if you cant get into a 25 man Pl squad then players like clubs themselves, will have to adopt accordingly. The days of huge wages are over in the football league. I see a wage ceiling of around 20k per week being a common thing, it just isnt sustainable let alone acceptable in these days.

15 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

One sticking point in all this... Brereton himself. 

We can accept an improved bid from Nice all we want, last I'd heard he didn't want to leave currently.

Young boy, pregnant girlfriend, it's a huge ask to move to a foreign country.

Unless there's premier league money involved, I expect him to stay put this window.

Agree there. My thoughts exactly

15 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

Sheff Utd bid more than that for Lenihan alone when Wilder was there. 

In some places you may read that but you will find the bid was no where near that figure because at the time, if it was Rovers would have sold him.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Khadra was miles and miles better than Poveda.

Don’t think that says much, tbh. Poveda looked brilliant in one game (Sheff Utd at home) but offered little to nothing else.

Khadra looked good in spells but not consistent enough. Tries one thing too many regularly and doesn’t get his head up to look at other options.

A name I’ve just mentioned in my hypothetical scenario previously (Andreas Schjelderup) could be an interesting option. 18 Years old so would fit the “buying players with potential value” option, can play in a few positions (striker, attacking midfield, coming in off the wing) and was at Bodo/Glimt when Broughton was there. Wonder if he would be on GB’s list?

Wouldn’t be anywhere near the required points for a work permit but would assume he’d get one through the exceptions panel, as similar profile to Asprilla who Watford managed to get.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, pomster said:

At the end of the day bbd has only had one good season, how many Pl clubs would be willing to take that chance?  
Also the grass isn’t always greener on the other side, just look at what Armstrong is doing. He’s lost his momentum and will end up in the abyss.
Offer bbd a good championship contract with a release clause. Best of both worlds for him and club
Either way, whatever happens i wish the lad well!

I'd argue one and a half - he picked up after during and after the Chile business and he has started this season well too. Importantly, he looks more Diaz than Brereton so far. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, rover23 said:

Khadra was average, he was quick and tricky, but his crossing was poor, he was never fit enough to last a full 90 and he got what, 3-4 attacking returns? 

Hedges looks like he’s stepped up a few gears and seems a decent player. 

Dolan, as much as I like the kid, I don’t rate him that highly as a player. He’s giving off headless chicken vibes every time he plays. 

I like Dolan but hate how often he does that stupid pirouette. Which very rarely comes off

Edited by Danny O.Brien

Also, are we changing the name of this thread to ‘Guess how much we would have got in transfer fees for players that have gone’? 

Quire frankly, who gives a shit. They’re gone, we are top of the league, have an exciting manager in charge and are looking to make some new signings in the next two weeks. Get over the past and start living in the present. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Danny O.Brien said:

I like Dolan but hate how often he does that stupid pirouette. Which very rarely comes off

Back heels on the half way line too. He likes trying the flashy stuff but needs to learn the right times to do it. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Khadra was miles and miles better than Poveda.

Not sure, in the Sheffield United game at Ewood, Poveda was streets ahead. Khadra got his deflected goal and caused issues with his pace - but was forever giving the ball away. Shame that Poveda got injured so soon afterwards, it would've been nice to see how he performed over a longer period. 

5 minutes ago, rover23 said:

Also, are we changing the name of this thread to ‘Guess how much we would have got in transfer fees for players that have gone’? 

Quire frankly, who gives a shit. They’re gone, we are top of the league, have an exciting manager in charge and are looking to make some new signings in the next two weeks. Get over the past and start living in the present. 

Calm down deary. There's 514 pages of posts i'm sure some of which you will find acceptable, I suggest you engage with them and ignore the ones that don't. Some clearly care for the posts that are on topic and have engaged.

• Like 3

Just now, islander200 said:

Sharpe reckons Lenihen was offered a deal not far off what we were offering Davies which was 26k per week.

So again am 100% confident that it is correct what my friend told me, Darragh was offered a long term deal at £22k per week

In which case I'm happy enough that he isn't here as its far too much for us to commit to a 28 year old decent Championship defender.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Spankus Munky said:

In which case I'm happy enough that he isn't here as its far too much for us to commit to a 28 year old decent bang average Championship defender.

Fixed it for you but I agree with your point - namely that that was far too much of a weekly wage to be throwing at him. We can get better quality than him for +£20k pw.  

26 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

you are missing the point surely!

If a player doesn't sign the contract on offer and with both DL and RN, there was always hope they both would, and then having one at least indicating he was happy to sign but then declined, the club cant do anything more about it, players choice. Nyambe was kippered by his agent who thought the cash cow was coming his way, truth is it never did and never will for him. He declined, crawled back dithered more and then Rovers withdrew the offer, quite righty so in my view.

The club cannot and should not offer wages way above what the club values them at. Players have become uses to huge windfalls of cash being on offer, that is now changing outside of the PL and if you cant get into a 25 man Pl squad then players like clubs themselves, will have to adopt accordingly. The days of huge wages are over in the football league. I see a wage ceiling of around 20k per week being a common thing, it just isnt sustainable let alone acceptable in these days.

Again - I'm not really interested in the ins and outs of those situations.

Your account might be absolutely correct - maybe Nyambe was 'kippered' by his agent (has he sacked him yet?), maybe the players did lead the club on a merry dance, maybe it is ultimately the players decision on whether to sign.

None of it actually matters. My view is that the situation is much more complex simply than poor old Rovers doing their very best but struggling against FFP/richer clubs/greedy agents. I think Rovers are at least partly to blame for those players leaving and much of that comes down to the way Rovers have gone about their business over the last 2-3 years.

I'm not going to go through what I mean by that again suffice to say that the fact so many players have all rejected Rovers' terms points to a serious problem on the part of the club. The fact that those players would prefer to go to Middlesbrough or Wigan is alarming.

I don't know what you are going on about with the £20k a week wage ceiling. I can assure you that had we offered any of those players - and indeed Brereton - close to £20k a week in the lead up to or during the summer of 2021 all of them would have signed up without a moment's hesitation.

The reason the Brereton situation has ended up in the way it has is because having committed big money to him, persevered with him for 3 years, done nothing on his contract and then he's suddenly come good quite rightly he's now in a different stratosphere on his expectations and demands. But had we had one eye on the medium to long term in the summer of 2021 we'd have extended his terms if we were so confident of his ability and the investment.

Anyhow I think we are drifting off topic. The point I was trying to make was that we have lost a lot of money already on players that we should have made a lot of profit from. If the Club was serious about protecting its investments and delivering a return on them then that wouldn't have happened. Likewise people online saying we need to sell Brereton to emulate Brentford need to wake up - we don't do what Brentford do - we don't keep our assets under long term contracts and we don't reinvest when we sell.

So to my mind it is clear - the chances of reinvestment are slim to zero. Broughton and Tomasson may well have a plan to replace him if sold but Venkys are still in charge here.

I'm sure Mowbray had a plan for reinvesting the  Armstrong cash but he wasn't allowed.

Finally - having failed to keep Lenihan, Nyambe and co. out of the clutches of rival clubs due to not offering acceptable terms to them what are the chances of us both finding and then paying a Brereton replacement? We could have £20 million to spend on transfer fees but if we have a wage ceiling akin to League One clubs we ain't getting better.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Mellor Rover said:

One sticking point in all this... Brereton himself. 

We can accept an improved bid from Nice all we want, last I'd heard he didn't want to leave currently.

Young boy, pregnant girlfriend, it's a huge ask to move to a foreign country.

Unless there's premier league money involved, I expect him to stay put this window.

It looks like Nice are throwing money around to try and become relevant.

Could be an interesting 'project' to be part of.

8 minutes ago, rover23 said:

Plans to potentially loan out Carter until January if we can get two CBs in before the end of the window. 

I'd be disappointed with that - he's earned his chance after impressing on his loan last year.

Edited by Exiled_Rover
  • Like 6

13 minutes ago, rover23 said:

Plans to potentially loan out Carter until January if we can get two CBs in before the end of the window. 

I hope not think he deserves a chance. Unless the manager doesn't fancy him after pre season. I'd rather keep him and add one real quality defender. Especially as we've no alternative right full back and he can fill in there.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, yeti-dog said:

Fixed it for you but I agree with your point - namely that that was far too much of a weekly wage to be throwing at him. We can get better quality than him for +£20k pw.  

It was more than fair for Lenihan to be described as a decent Championship defender.

• Like 8