BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

I’m not getting carried away with the JPvH talk. Did well last season but was part of the same clown show that became the second half of our season. Think it said a lot about BBD’s loss of form that JPvH won POY. Would be a good addition but won’t lose sleep if it doesn’t happen, esp if we’re talking big money. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Good managers build from the back. We have no back. 

No issue with that. The building is usually through organisation and coaching. I'd argue the full backs are still the defensive weak links in whatever system we want to play.

Is he worth the potential fee though?

49 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

*Dons tin hat.

JPVH. 

Thought he did well last year.  He's a blood and thunder type player.  Wears his heart on his sleeve, which always endears you to the player.  Thought his range of passing was decent also. 

However, we are likely talking a potential record fee (for us) if this 'special request' thing is to be believed. Is he worth it?

Out of all our recent loan centre backs, Tosin stood out to me as the best.  Didn't he go for a couple of million? 

I get the clamour to bring him back.  Player of the year, should increase in value etc. 

Any fee around £2-3 million and I'd agree.  Above that, I'm really not sure he's worth it. 

For me there is no USP.  Not lightning quick, not a Samba-like giant, not vastly experienced, probably lacks Tosin's ability to play through the lines.

Not proven above championship level. Is he better than Ayala?

Personally, I feel that  whilst we need to invest in defenders, they shouldn't be the major investment in a squad with many holes.

Always felt that you can get away with solid defenders (your Whartons) when  coached and drilled properly as a unit -at most levels. 

The 'special case' should be for an attacking player (be that midfield,wide or up top) that can potentially change/win you a game - and they are never cheap.

Morning preamble over😂

In my opinion (and that’s all it is), JPvH showed last season that if he continues his development then he has a good chance of being a £20m player in the future. 

If the decision makers at the club think the same, then that surely includes him in the ‘special case’ category, although I’m unsure how much it would cost to be classed as such.

If Gordon goes to Chelsea from Everton, I wouldn’t be surprised to see them spend some of that on BBD. I would be gutted to see him go but wish him all the best and hopefully see a bit of that fee invested. 

He might be able to win games for us almost single handedly but it’s a squad game and if selling BBD means we can improve 3/4 areas of the team then it’ll need to be done with no sign of him extending his deal.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

No issue with that. The building is usually through organisation and coaching. I'd argue the full backs are still the defensive weak links in whatever system we want to play.

Is he worth the potential fee though?

We do not know the potential fee at this point, so difficult to say. For all we know we were offering a million before and they perhaps want three. We were apparently willing to pay that sort of money for Anel and Davies.

Some on here claim we have 10 mil to spend and that is without the 'Special Cases' that the Venkies sometimes fund. We have spent what, 3 mil already? So that would be 6 total with another 4 to spend. Id get styles for half that as he can cover two needed positions. We're apparently one day going to get VDB who can cover CB and RB. We then need a forward, another CM maybe, and a new LB. 

Then of course, if BBD goes, we need a replacement. 

• Like 2

Going back a few years now, I remember how excited people where when Sam Gallagher came back. He's had decentt spells but on the most part been massively disappointing. If this even comes to fruition I hope we don't have our pants pulled down. That said we're desperate for defenders and it isn't my money.

10 minutes ago, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

I’m not getting carried away with the JPvH talk. Did well last season but was part of the same clown show that became the second half of our season. Think it said a lot about BBD’s loss of form that JPvH won POY. Would be a good addition but won’t lose sleep if it doesn’t happen, esp if we’re talking big money. 

The worry is that Broughton/Waggott know they're having a bad window and overspend on getting Van Hecke as it's an easy win with the fanbase.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Kcaj93 said:

Yeah that makes more sense eith the updated post. I agree we do need the right people but I'm struggling to see us achieve that as the days go by. Hope I like many others are proved wrong.

9 days is both a very long time and not very long at all, so I’m anxious to see movement, but aware that we could have a signing lined up to announce this afternoon and I’d be none the wiser either way. I have to be hopeful and assume everyone is capable, but the only time I’ll know is at the end of it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Danny O.Brien said:

Going back a few years now, I remember how excited people where when Sam Gallagher came back. He's had decentt spells but on the most part been massively disappointing. If this even comes to fruition I hope we don't have our pants pulled down. That said we're desperate for defenders and it isn't my money.

I don't remember that many on here being happy we spent £5 million on bringing Gallagher back 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

*Dons tin hat.

JPVH. 

Thought he did well last year.  He's a blood and thunder type player.  Wears his heart on his sleeve, which always endears you to the player.  Thought his range of passing was decent also. 

However, we are likely talking a potential record fee (for us) if this 'special request' thing is to be believed. Is he worth it?

Out of all our recent loan centre backs, Tosin stood out to me as the best.  Didn't he go for a couple of million? 

I get the clamour to bring him back.  Player of the year, should increase in value etc. 

Any fee around £2-3 million and I'd agree.  Above that, I'm really not sure he's worth it. 

For me there is no USP.  Not lightning quick, not a Samba-like giant, not vastly experienced, probably lacks Tosin's ability to play through the lines.

Not proven above championship level. Is he better than Ayala?

Personally, I feel that  whilst we need to invest in defenders, they shouldn't be the major investment in a squad with many holes.

Always felt that you can get away with solid defenders (your Whartons) when  coached and drilled properly as a unit -at most levels. 

The 'special case' should be for an attacking player (be that midfield,wide or up top) that can potentially change/win you a game - and they are never cheap.

Morning preamble over😂

Tosin stood out because he could pass (he basically took over the role Mulgrew had in L1 of being a ball playing CB). He couldn't defend though.

Just now, tomphil said:

It was 3 million with 2 in add ons so that didn't sound so bad at the time.

Don't recall that, always recall the fee as being £5m.

Possibly he's been so (predictably) shite the add ons haven't been triggered but even if they haven't it would still be at least £2m too much for him imo. If you were looking at him now you'd struggle to justify a fee of £1m.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Don't recall that, always recall the fee as being £5m.

Possibly he's been so (predictably) shite the add ons haven't been triggered but even if they haven't it would still be at least £2m too much for him imo. If you were looking at him now you'd struggle to justify a fee of £1m.

Correct, looked good in his first loan with us, he scored over 10 goals.

However his decision making against (Preston was it?) Lost us the game and got us relegated? 

21 hours ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

As others have said, depends on whether JDT wants to play 2 or 3cb.  

Wharton and Ayala have done nothing wrong this season so should keep the shirt initially, regardless of who comes in. Carter should be cover.  The young lad should be 5th choice.  Should still get a few games or more if we play with a 3. Don't need 2 centrebacks coming in  IMO. 

He wants to play 4-2-3-1 with the option to play 3-4-3 against the better sides.

12 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

The worry is that Broughton/Waggott know they're having a bad window and overspend on getting Van Hecke as it's an easy win with the fanbase.

Whilst everyone is vastly underestimating the fee it would take to prise JPVH out of Brighton permanently I struggle to see any scenario in which any money spent on him on a permanent deal wouldn't be a Rock solid investment.

I'm a bit sceptical the move is still live, I think the rumours could relate to previous unsuccessful bids we made prior to Brighton deciding to give him a new deal and loan him out again. Hopefully that isn't the case.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Tosin stood out because he could pass (he basically took over the role Mulgrew had in L1 of being a ball playing CB). He couldn't defend though.

Tosin stood out because he was a quality defender, he could pass and defend, his positional sense was exceptional. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

JPvH, SVDB, Styles & Bowler 🤞🏽

Then we replace BBD with another two forwards if he’s sold…🙌🏽

Sharp has said he's asked the club and there's nothing in the Styles and Bowler links. (Although I presume it wasn't Gregg he asked)

Edited by Sweaty Gussets

Just now, Danny O.Brien said:

Whatever was paid I remember the general feeling being that bringing gally back was a good move. I expect jpvh to be brilliant if he came back but it isn't guaranteed. 

You clearly don't sit near me in the Jack Walker - we were flabbergasted that he was being brought back, especially at that price.

• Like 3

It is clear to me that we have missed the influence of Scott Wharton since his recent injury. Not only does he play a very complementary game to Ayala, but also as a pair they seem to be able to mop up most serious attacking play and deliver telling passes forward to our midfield and front lines.

We definitely need to shore up the defence, as we can't continue to rely upon young Kaminski to save us from the potential cricket score situations we have faced recently, even against the league's 'weaker' teams  (Ince must be pissing himself!!)

Once we see Wharton return, I predict there will be a return to better times, but perhaps only if he has a capable partner alongside - if Daniel Ayala's injury track record recurs, without a new solid centre back I think we may see the slide continue.

So, step forward and step up GB, and deliver what we can all see are the goods necessary to give Rovers our mojo back. Make no mistake, a catastrophic showing against the six fingered foe will not bode well for club/fan relations!

In the words of Mr Adam Ant - Stand and Deliver!

Stand & Deliver.jpg

18 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Whilst everyone is vastly underestimating the fee it would take to prise JPVH out of Brighton permanently I struggle to see any scenario in which any money spent on him on a permanent deal wouldn't be a Rock solid investment.

I'm a bit sceptical the move is still live, I think the rumours could relate to previous unsuccessful bids we made prior to Brighton deciding to give him a new deal and loan him out again. Hopefully that isn't the case.

I get the rock solid investment scenario.  I just feel decent centrebacks are easier to get hold of than forward players.

Let's say Adebayo at Luton was available for the same potential fee as  JPVH. 

Which one do you make the special case?  

IMO the Luton lad would offer more to our team dynamic than JPVH.

All about opinions I suppose.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

I get the rock solid investment scenario.  I just feel decent centrebacks are easier to get hold of than forward players.

Let's say Adebayo at Luton was available for the same potential fee as  JPVH. 

Which one do you make the special case?  

IMO the Luton lad would offer more to our team dynamic than JPVH.

All about opinions I suppose.

If we signed JPVH and then sold BBD, could it be both?

Seems unlikely that we'd make 2 big money signings, but who knows!?

• Like 1