5 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Off the top of my head....

Argentina 0 Cameroon 1 1990

USA 1 England 0 1950

North Korea 1 Italy 0 1966

Algeria 2 West Germany 1 1982

Some good shouts. I've just thought of another:

France 0 - 1 Senegal 2002

This was the opening game of that World Cup. France came in on the back of winning the previous World Cup and the European Championship. Senegal were World Cup newcomers.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, speeeeeeedie said:

I'm struggling to find out what strip are England wearing on Friday. Home or away? 

Anyone know?

England are classed as the Home team on all the wallcharts so i'm guessing it'll be white again same as first game.

4 hours ago, bazza said:

And North Korea going 3-0 up against Eusebio's Portugal at Goodison Park. I know they eventually lost 5-3 but I was there and we couldn't believe that early 3-0.

Were you, @bazza? I didn’t see you!!

But yes; the reaction when the North Koreans went 3-0 up was sensational, wasn't it?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, R0verb0y said:

Were you, @bazza? I didn’t see you!!

But yes; the reaction when the North Koreans went 3-0 up was sensational, wasn't it?

I was standing on the side where N Korea were playing from my left to right in the first half. When they scored their third, a man near me said in a thick Scouse accent, "This is ridiculous".

If Eusebio hadn't been playing, Portugal may never have got back into the game. As it was they scored two before half time. I forget how many goals Eusebio scored; 2 or maybe 3?

16 minutes ago, bazza said:

I was standing on the side where N Korea were playing from my left to right in the first half. When they scored their third, a man near me said in a thick Scouse accent, "This is ridiculous".

If Eusebio hadn't been playing, Portugal may never have got back into the game. As it was they scored two before half time. I forget how many goals Eusebio scored; 2 or maybe 3?

I was at Goodison for Brazil v Bulgaria...... Pele, Garrincha et al.

Great memories

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

I was at Goodison for Brazil v Bulgaria...... Pele, Garrincha et al.

Great memories

I was at the Brazil v Hungary game later on. I went to see Pele play but he was injured.

I thought Eusebio got 4 goals in the North Korea game. I can’t think of anyone who hit the ball harder than Eusebio.

Australia have been watching Tomasson's Rovers - mucking around with the ball at the back and conceding an unnecessary goal. Is Tomasson ever going to learn that you can't get away with it unless your players are of the highest standard - which Rovers' and Australia's aren't. Rovers have lost so many games this season making exactly the same mistake as Australia tonight

Edited by jim mk2
  • Like 2

One of the thoughts that this year's World Cup has put into my mind is whether a midwinter break will be more acceptable going forward in our Leagues? Maybe not as long as the break that this tournament's brought about, and maybe deeper into the winter; but a break to recharge teams' "batteries".

I'm obviously thinking about Rovers here; our squad, to my mind, is too small - and too young? - to cope with a schedule of two games every week for a 46-match League season. For teams which have Cup success - as we have this season - that pressure could get to be too much.

I suspect that the Premier League's paymasters wouldn't like the idea; but to an old fogey like me that savours of the tail wagging the dog.