BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

World Cup 2022

10 hours ago, matt83 said:

Since France 98 in the World Cup and France 2016 in the euros qualification has been a joke. There should be an element of achievement in qualifying for the World Cup and Euros but for the likes of England qualification is all but guaranteed before a ball is kicked and increasing it to 48 teams even gives the dregs a realistic chance of qualifying.

Personally I’d shake the whole qualifying process up anyway. In Europe I’d have a tournament running while the main tournament is on for the likes of Gibraltar, San Marino, faro islands, Estonia, Latvia, Scotland, etc. The minority of those then get through into the main qualifying group. Also picking on CONCACAF (but there’s others) for 4 of them to qualify that’s a joke. Pretty much Mexico, usa, Costa Rica guaranteed to qualify with Canada beating a Caribbean island. 

This isn’t a modern school sports day where everyone is a winner it’s the elite international tournament. 

U forgot Scotland edit u mentioned them that was my joke 

Edited by roverandout
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, bluebruce said:

Iran must be absolutely loving the group they've been given then. Us, the 'Great Satan' USA, and even Wales are part of Great Britain. Short of Israel being in there it couldn't be much more of a hate fest for them.

According to the Scots and Welsh the empire and all the atrocities from then on are an English thing. They had no part in it

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Hasta said:

My favourite World Cup for non-England games was 1994.

It was forecast to be a damp squib, but it was iconic for me. I was probably the right age for it to make a big impression, but despite our absence it was filled with Romario & Bebetto, Hagi, Stoichkov, Baggio, The Ireland games, Klinsmann and a Maradonna swansong. I probably watched more games at that tournament than any other

I was at the 1994 WC, staying in Los Gatos, California, where the Brazil team was based. I saw three group games in a packed Stanford Stadium, and the Round of 16 game between the USA and Brazil. This game was played on American Independence Day, the atmosphere was unbelievable and the Rover Roy Wegerle was in the US team. I had my Rovers shirt on and was yelling “Weggers” during the warm up. He gave me a wave and all the yanks around me assumed I knew him! Brazil of course won 1 0, but the party on the streets of Los Gatos when I got back was epic. Packed out with Brazilians doing their thing, a truly fantastic day.

Edited by Giant
  • Like 4

15 minutes ago, roverandout said:

It's our year.  Win the group.  Get past a mane-less Senegal.  Then face a France side shorn of benzema pogba kante Kimpembe nkunku. Plus a half fit varane.  I can feel it. Don't fuck this up England 

England have injuries too and have been out of form for some time. There's nothing to suggest that this will be "our year". 

21 minutes ago, roverandout said:

It's our year.  Win the group.  Get past a mane-less Senegal.  Then face a France side shorn of benzema pogba kante Kimpembe nkunku. Plus a half fit varane.  I can feel it. Don't fuck this up England 

lol,have you seen our defence,the centre backs especially are terrible,i reckon we`ll struggle against iran,beat a shockingly bad wales team and squeeze past the usa,then we`ll get knocked out in the second round,southgate will resign and walk into the everton job,only to make a worse mess of it than lampard😲

4 minutes ago, roverandout said:

Jim I'm pretty sure u said last year we had no chance of making the euros final 

Probably, based on long bitter experience. Let's be honest, it was a big surprise when they did. The non-show against an Italy side that subsequently couldn't even qualify for the World Cup was predictable. There is a book by Simon Kuper on why England always lose - worth reading

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

lol,have you seen our defence,the centre backs especially are terrible,i reckon we`ll struggle against iran,beat a shockingly bad wales team and squeeze past the usa,then we`ll get knocked out in the second round,southgate will resign and walk into the everton job,only to make a worse mess of it than lampard😲

So much positivity. France have been on a bad run. Germany too. We will walk all over Iran. Best USA and batter Wales.  Senegal are nothing without mane

11 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

Fuck me our defenders aren't terrible.  Maguire has Been in the last two teams of the tournament.  Stones has Been solid in a strong city defence.  Walker has been a great recovery defender for city. White has been outstanding for arsenal.  Coady has Been a shining light in a poor Everton team.  Dier has had one of his best seasons for spurs 

9 minutes ago, roverandout said:

. We will walk all over Iran. Best USA and batter Wales.  

Why do England fans post this sort of stuff when England's history is one of failures and disappointment? Iran have won 17 of their past 21 games, and Wales and the US will be difficult opponents. None of the games will be easy and if England don't play well they will lose

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Why do England fans post this sort of stuff when England's history is one of failures and disappointment? Iran have won 17 of their past 21 games, and Wales and the US will be difficult opponents. None of the games will be easy and if England don't play well they will lose

We won't lose against any of them. That's crazy talk

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Jesus you’re reaching there, Lebanon and Syria are tough nuts to crack I’m sure.

I think they only have one lad who plays in a half decent league, and even that’s the Portuguese league. 

35 minutes ago, roverandout said:

Fuck me our defenders aren't terrible.  Maguire has Been in the last two teams of the tournament.  Stones has Been solid in a strong city defence.  Walker has been a great recovery defender for city. White has been outstanding for arsenal.  Coady has Been a shining light in a poor Everton team.  Dier has had one of his best seasons for spurs 

A defence with Dier and Maguire in it will likely be a huge weak point against any good forwards, if we did end up against France then Mbappe would be licking his lips. I think you struggle to not be overly biased towards England to the point whereby an injury to a totally different team in a different group instantly is spun back in your head to England. When you watch games in other groups, do you do so purely to watch those 2 teams or simply to weigh up the competition for England?