BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer Window.

8 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

Sam Gallagher's Championship goals - Bing video  

Sam Gallagher scoring some very, very good headers.

Yep, four very good headers to be fair, I stand corrected.  Interestingly, not one of them from a traditional cross from the byline.  Two lofty, loopy diagonal crosses, one corner and one 30 yards from the byline by a left back.  Either which way, that's 6 years ago now and he's since scored 22 goals in 115 games for us - he's never going to be a regular goalscorer, and doesn't in my opinion offer enough other qualities to lead a Championship line (like Graham did).  I hope I'm wrong, because defensively he offers us a lot, and he does seem a good character to have around.

Edited by Jimmy612
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Jimmy612 said:

Yep, four very good headers to be fair, I stand corrected.  Interestingly, not one of them from a traditional cross from the byline.  Two lofty, loopy diagonal crosses, one corner and one 30 yards from the byline by a left back.  Either which way, that's 6 years ago now and he's since scored 22 goals in 115 games for us - he's never going to be a regular goalscorer, and doesn't in my opinion offer enough other qualities to lead a Championship line (like Graham did).  I hope I'm wrong, because defensively he offers us a lot, and he does seem a good character to have around.

I think that's his problem, he isn't good enough with his back to goal to play the lone front man. However, as a header of the ball he's clearly excellent technically. He's sacrificed himself for the good of the team by running about on the wing for 3/4 years. It's been a waste of his talents IMO.

I think he'd be suited to playing in a two up front but nobody really plays like that anymore. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

I think that's his problem, he isn't good enough with his back to goal to play the lone front man. However, as a header of the ball he's clearly excellent technically. He's sacrificed himself for the good of the team by running about on the wing for 3/4 years. It's been a waste of his talents IMO.

I think he'd be suited to playing in a two up front but nobody really plays like that anymore. 

Yep, the days of two up front are more or less gone I think - all the best strikers do the basics right first, he's bloody hopeless at them.  Amazing given the size of him and how many hours he must have spent on a training pitch. 

By the way, not just good finishes with his head, some excellent finishes with his feet as well.   The amount of times we see him scuff/hook/slice an effort is unbelievable nowadays.

• Like 1

Just now, Jimmy612 said:

Yep, the days of two up front are more or less gone I think - all the best strikers do the basics right first, he's bloody hopeless at them.  Amazing given the size of him and how many hours he must have spent on a training pitch. 

By the way, not just good finishes with his head, some excellent finishes with his feet as well.   The amount of times we see him scuff/hook/slice an effort is unbelievable nowadays.

Front two does happen quite a lot in the modern game in 352. Indeed we've played three or four games in that structure this season. 442 is dead due to the lack of number in the centre of the pitch but 352 get's round that.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Front two does happen quite a lot in the modern game in 352. Indeed we've played three or four games in that structure this season. 442 is dead due to the lack of number in the centre of the pitch but 352 get's round that.

the old 4-4-2 was really what I was referring to, where you'd have two wingers putting the ball in the box. Coyle played like that, so did Bowyer, but very few managers do anymore.

It's no surprise that traditional strikers like Rhodes, Rudy and Gally thrived in those formations. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Woah there we've often gone 4-2-3-1. It's the 2 you have in there that are important.  play a 2 and 1 needs to be physical and the physical and play a bit! 

We generally play with 2 who can't tackle and think they are Pirlo. 

6 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

the old 4-4-2 was really what I was referring to, where you'd have two wingers putting the ball in the box. Coyle played like that, so did Bowyer, but very few managers do anymore.

It's no surprise that traditional strikers like Rhodes, Rudy and Gally thrived in those formations. 

All any striker wants is good service. Without that any striker will struggle. At the moment the service to the strikers at Rovers is mediocre at best. We don’t make enough clear cut chances. Our play is too obvious and too easy to play against. We spend most of the game playing in front of teams.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 6

The Thomas loan makes no sense unless there is a plan to vastly improve the squad to fight for a playoff spot. Acquiring a central midfielder and a striker should be much higher on the priority list. Vale should be nowhere near the squad considering his lazy and poor performances and while Gallagher is a lot better than Vale, he is still a mediocre striker at this level. The central midfield is overpowered game after game, even against poor teams.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

All any striker wants is good service. Without that any striker will struggle. At the moment the service to the strikers at Rovers is mediocre at best. We don’t make enough clear cut chances. Our play is too obvious and too easy to play against. We spend most of the game playing in front of teams.

No arguments from me, I've never been more bored at Ewood. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Everything in footy is cyclical.  Just need a team to do well with out and out wingers and the fad will change again.  Just need to be brave enough to do it first and not mirror everyone else.     

• Like 7

17 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Woah there we've often gone 4-2-3-1. It's the 2 you have in there that are important.  play a 2 and 1 needs to be physical and the physical and play a bit! 

We generally play with 2 who can't tackle and think they are Pirlo. 

Not sure if you misread my post - I was saying 442 is very rare. I was not saying we don't play 4231 - it's our favorite formation, and probably most favored formation in world football imo.

42 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Surprised we weren’t in for nisbet at that price, he was quoted as being 3 times that a few seasons back. Knows where the net is 

Price sounds £1.8 million more than we can afford. 

Although I'm sure we were told in summer there was a healthy transfer budget but tight wage budget. 

Yet now we are focusing on signing out of contract players...who by that very nature will expect higher wages.No wonder it's a struggle to get any deals done. 

1 hour ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

Yeah, Dack's always out wide putting crosses in! And BBD. I can see him now getting to the touchline and whipping the ball in🙃

And we were talking about set-pieces, which Morton invariably takes, and not very well. 

'Best set-piece taker in the Championship' was how Thomas was described by a Hudds fan. A quick look at his many assists and you can see why. 

And you being wrong, isn't me being a contrarian. 

'Tangled up' Grow up, if you don't like having your opinions challenged don't put them on a public forum. And you weren't bothered about being 'tangled up' the other week when you out of the blue you accused me of defending the club at every opportunity. 

I'm happy to put my views on this public forum, its arguing with the likes of you puts me off. over and out.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Not sure if you misread my post - I was saying 442 is very rare. I was not saying we don't play 4231 - it's our favorite formation, and probably most favored formation in world football imo.

Might have🤷🏻‍♂️, I thought you were saying that 2 in midfield, in a 4-4-2 doesn't work any more due to lack of numbers in the middle.   Yet playing 2 in the middle a fraction deeper is fine? 

I'd still argue its down to the type and quality of player that's in there.

Partner any of either Wharton, Buckley, Morton with an Nzonzi or Flitcroft  and there is no way the midfield 2 gets overwhelmed every week.  We just don't have the right compliment of players in the middle. 

Recruit players to make a system work.   We don't - or certainly haven't previously- done that. 

• Like 4