BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Appeal to EFL

49 minutes ago, ben_the_beast said:

Basically we argued that the 23:00 deadline is a hard deadline and if a club asks for an extension then we have until 23:15. We argued that 23:15 is not a hard deadline and should have leniency. The reason we argued this is because the 23:15 deadline is only stated in the guidance section of the EFL rulebook and not in the regulations section. To add to this Silvester attended a meeting whereby this was explained prior.

We ended up submitting all relevant documents at 23:28 so 13 minutes past the extension. Any mention of relegation clauses were limited and seemingly hours before the deadline. 

We also argued we were disadvantaged because we had staff at the Birmingham game (Waggott), that we had less medical staff due to them being at the game (something which was in our control) and that the medical took place at the training ground whilst the club secretary was at the stadium (again within our control).

Overall there's no bloody wonder the appeal failed. It was based on naff all and certain staff members have shown their incompetence. 

EDIT: Read this wrong. The Secretarial Team were at Ewood., not St Andrews. 

Edited by Sweaty Gussets
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

It's actually the 'Club Secretarial Team' that were at the B'ham game. Let that sink in. The Secretarial Team, responsible for processing transfers on deadline day, weren't at Ewood/Brockhall on deadline day. They were on a jolly at the match. 

Shameful. 

and a total waste of time and money continuing to pursue it.

• Like 1

So Broughton was right when he said he didn't think we would win an appeal but we went ahead anyway and cost the club tens of thousands.

I wonder who sanctioned that spend.

We need a complete clear out of all the lot of them.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

Gotta say some of the comments in the document are damning - total lack of planning across the board. Big question - who is responsible - Waggott, Broughton, Club Secretary ? It could be seen as a series of unfortunate events - but to me it is a total lack of planning and leadership. Personally, IMO Waggott has to shoulder the ultimate responsibility - he is in overall control.

From what I can see.

Waggott is certainly accountable. Within the clubs own argument they stated that club officials being at the Birmingham game hindered the transfer. The response was that the club had the choice of whether officials were either at the game or on hand for transfers. 

- there is no hiding place for Waggott to escape some culpability in this

Sylvester is accountable as it seems as though he really fannied around with the paperwork. The initial submission at 20:28 did not include a contract should the permanent option be triggered. This was the requested by the EFL at 20:47. The rules were clear and it seems the requirements for documentation were communicated early enough. I assume there was then a delay in him providing these and was taken off guard when further details were needed in those submissions. There is zero excuse on his part. 

Broughton was off wining and dining O'brien elsewhere during his medical. In a location that did not allow for any bumps in the road regarding paperwork to be quickly resolved. Personally i see him as less culpable but i think this does demonstrate a lack of experience on his part regarding big transfers and preparing for what could go wrong.

• Like 8

Just now, arbitro said:

So Broughton was right when he said he didn't think we would win an appeal but we went ahead anyway and cost the club tens of thousands.

I wonder who sanctioned that spend.

We need a complete clear out of all the lot of them.

'The Secretarial Team' need to resign pronto. They have potentially cost the club £150m, or whatever promotion is worth. 

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, Hasta said:

I'm out at the moment so can't read this properly, but I see the is a timeline of events in the EFL statement.

https://www.efl.com/contentassets/2360941774f04705bf2c384b511bca04/230228---blackburn-rovers-v-efl---decision.pdf

Having read the above, we never had a chance at appeal and this timeline and detail is a damning indictment of the club’s leadership and administration set up. Why on earth was Swag at Birmingham City ? Even more bizarrely, why was the secretarial team at Ewood and the player at Brockhall, you really couldn’t make it up 😡

I’m not prepared to allow this to derail my current positivity about JDT’s playing squad but Swag and Sylvester and possibly, Broughton really should bow their head in shame. Let’s win promotion in spite of this and welcome O’Brien in the summer 😊

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Penwortham Blue said:

Having read the above, we never had a chance at appeal and this timeline and detail is a damning indictment of the club’s leadership and administration set up. Why on earth was Swag at Birmingham City ? Even more bizarrely, why was the secretarial team at Ewood and the player at Brockhall, you really couldn’t make it up 😡

I’m not prepared to allow this to derail my current positivity about JDT’s playing squad but Swag and Sylvester and possibly, Broughton really should bow their head in shame. Let’s win promotion in spite of this and welcome O’Brien in the summer 😊

I don’t think O’Brien would touch us with a barge pole after this.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Penwortham Blue said:

Does that even matter? Surely these are electronic or scanned and email is quicker than walking into the next room.

Just more straw clutching for excuses.

14 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

It's actually the 'Club Secretarial Team' that were at the B'ham game. Let that sink in. The Secretarial Team, responsible for processing transfers on deadline day, weren't at Ewood/Brockhall on deadline day. They were on a jolly at the match. 

Shameful. 

I would be amazed if that was the case. I think the Sylvester and the other incompetents were at Ewood and O’Brien at Brockhall.

4 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I don’t think O’Brien would touch us with a barge pole after this.

What's worse for us is that clubs will think twice before dealing with us on deadline day. Maybe it'll force us to get our business done early for a change.

Edited by goozburger
  • Like 1

For me, this is the key bit. Everyone at Ewood took an hour off, it seems. I don’t think this is a recruitment-side issue, it’s absolutely an admin issue. Silvester and Waggott at fault, (directly and indirectly) Pasha somewhat, as the operational consultant.

Our owners wouldn’t but I’d fire Silvester, reprimand Waggott/direct him to issue the apology and demote/remove responsibilities from Pasha, which is basically generous and lenient to the last two, based on the logic that you don’t fire a CEO when you’re pushing to promotion/playoffs and they’ve had Pasha working for them for many a long year.

150D98A1-6A52-49FA-BCD5-C3ED0C46E07F.jpeg

• Like 2

Part of me is relieved. This time last year the lad was top notch. But he hasn’t played for a couple of months. How match fit would he be ? How would somebody coming in on probably twice the next highest earner’s wedge be received ? Team spirit seems to be on the up at the moment. We can’t afford a bedding in period at this stage in the season. Every game is vital.

Plus from JDT’s interview he appeared to be more concerned with getting in a striker than he was with another midfield player.

• Like 3

Looking at our argument, we were never going to win. I think we pursued the appeal to take the heat off the board. They knew time would heal the hurt to some degree and they have been helped by a massive upturn in fortunes on the pitch. It is exactly as originally feared though, we had a brilliant opportunity to sign a top player at this level and we completely screwed it up. The ultimate administrative own goal. Having said that though, I actually feel the failure to sign a striker is equally as negligent. JDT, the fans and the players deserve so much better. 

• Like 6

Disaster as far as how it makes our backroom look. But in the grand scheme of things player wise, not too upset with it. O'Brien is a decent player, but not as incredible as I think some fans feel that he is and/or that big of a difference maker.

Don't think it will affect other clubs dealing with us in the future either.If a deal is to be made, it will be. Just hope we are more intelligent and prudent about it next go round.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Bethnal said:

For me, this is the key bit. Everyone at Ewood took an hour off, it seems. I don’t think this is a recruitment-side issue, it’s absolutely an admin issue. Silvester and Waggott at fault, (directly and indirectly) Pasha somewhat, as the operational consultant.

Our owners wouldn’t but I’d fire Silvester, reprimand Waggott/direct him to issue the apology and demote/remove responsibilities from Pasha, which is basically generous and lenient to the last two, based on the logic that you don’t fire a CEO when you’re pushing to promotion/playoffs and they’ve had Pasha working for them for many a long year.

150D98A1-6A52-49FA-BCD5-C3ED0C46E07F.jpeg

Absolutely the key point here. 

Below  in bold is the Appeal's take, which is backed up by the timeline above :

Delays caused by communicating with EFL regarding the Option Deed which BRFC argue delayed their preparation by circa 30 minutes in respect to the Loan Transfer.

The Option Deed was sent to the EFL for approval. The EFL considered it in a timely manner. The Club had failed to submit the playing contract, which was to form part of the Deed, so this was requested. On receipt this was reviewed and the EFL requested two amendments. One of the amendments was accepted by BRFC and the other was confirmed as not relevant after further clarification. The Club presented a transaction for approval and having regard to the obligations of the EFL to act fairly across all Clubs the response of the EFL Executive was considered timely and appropriate. The Board concluded that the matter was dealt with and resolved over 1 hour before the transfer deadline.

So Rovers/EFL agreed to the relegation/promotion clauses a full hour before the deadline. Nixon's exclusive was that Rovers were arguing that one of the clauses (relegation) wasn't relevant. But that was sorted out an hour before deadline. Somebody at the club had obviously fed him that as a legit excuse. 

Like you say, nothing happened for over an hour. What were they doing? 

Edited by Sweaty Gussets
  • Like 5