BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Blackpool (h) - 21/2/23

2 hours ago, Miller11 said:

I know it’s not just you saying this Chaddy, but I’m not sure your first sentence is correct. Over the last few games it looks like we are getting there defensively, but it’s only just over a month ago that Rotherham put 4 past us, and we’ve had a number of hammerings. Being on a negative goal difference despite being 4th in the table doesn’t scream ‘solid defensively’.

Like I said, hopefully we’ve turned a corner. We seem to have cut out the self sabotage and gifting opposition soft goals.

I looked the other day and we have actually conceded more per game this season than last season, so we haven't actually improved defensively.

That being said, we have conceded 17 amidst 5 games which is obviously worrying in itself but that also means that only Coventry (surprisingly) have more clean sheets than us.

Our main strength up until late December was our organisation when holding on to leads which was exemplary. Then suddenly within a month or two, I can think of 10 points (Sunderland away, Boro home, Bristol City away and Watford away) where we have thrown away points. Hopefully we are back on track defensively which has been our strength under Tomasson in general, and hopefully he can fix the other end where we have struggled to create chances all season.

3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

He was good chance and didn't think it too wide or problem with the type of finish he picked

Nox.need to break up the midfield duo that was playing very well. 

No problem with the type of finish? An unconvincing prod spinning slowly away from goal.

Either way, Morton as an attacking midfielder was a strange choice I felt.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I looked the other day and we have actually conceded more per game this season than last season, so we haven't actually improved defensively.

This was the point last season it all went wrong. Only 4 wins and 2 clean sheets in the last 13 games. 

7 wins from the last 13 this season and we're probably in the play-offs. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Miller11 said:

I know it’s not just you saying this Chaddy, but I’m not sure your first sentence is correct. Over the last few games it looks like we are getting there defensively, but it’s only just over a month ago that Rotherham put 4 past us, and we’ve had a number of hammerings. Being on a negative goal difference despite being 4th in the table doesn’t scream ‘solid defensively’.

Like I said, hopefully we’ve turned a corner. We seem to have cut out the self sabotage and gifting opposition soft goals.

13 clean sheets over the season would point to being defensive solid and well drilled. 4th highest in the league btw. 

Yes in some games we have collapsed to big defeat especially away from home which is problem granted, But going to teams like Watford and WBA away and being defensively solid and well organised got us a very good away draw 

3 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

No problem with the type of finish? An unconvincing prod spinning slowly away from goal.

It was the best he could do in the situation. Quite surprised by your comments about it

3 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Either way, Morton as an attacking midfielder was a strange choice I felt.

not really when you look at it from logical point of view and not wanted to move Buckley from the centre midfield role where him and Travis were very good and winning the game for us

33 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

13 clean sheets over the season would point to being defensive solid and well drilled. 4th highest in the league btw. 

Yes in some games we have collapsed to big defeat especially away from home which is problem granted, But going to teams like Watford and WBA away and being defensively solid and well organised got us a very good away draw 

I think that highlights how Jekyll and Hyde our season has been. When we’ve been good we’ve been really solid, and when we’ve been bad we’ve been dreadful.

Looks like we are finding a bit of consistency now though. Like I said the other day I think JDT seems to be understanding the league more. If we continue to cut out the daft mistakes we’ve got a great chance of making the playoffs.

• Like 1

I actually think having Pears in has discouraged too much faffing in and around our own box.  The main culprits for overdoing it are Ayala and Kaminsky but the mindset to protect Pears and maybe not put him under uninvited pressure, plus his reluctance to get involved in it, works in our favour imo.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

It was the best he could do in the situation. Quite surprised by your comments about it

not really when you look at it from logical point of view and not wanted to move Buckley from the centre midfield role where him and Travis were very good and winning the game for us

How was it the best he could do?! It might be for Morton specifically but he was through on goal and missed the target, how is that the best anyone could do?

Our overall goals conceded per game this season is actually higher than last season, and we lost one game 7 nil last season. But we are keeping more clean sheets in general so its more jekyll and hyde.

5 hours ago, Miller11 said:

I think that highlights how Jekyll and Hyde our season has been. When we’ve been good we’ve been really solid, and when we’ve been bad we’ve been dreadful.

I would agree there

5 hours ago, Miller11 said:

Looks like we are finding a bit of consistency now though. Like I said the other day I think JDT seems to be understanding the league more. If we continue to cut out the daft mistakes we’ve got a great chance of making the playoffs.

Yes it does look that way. Hopefully it happens. 

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

How was it the best he could do?! It might be for Morton specifically but he was through on goal and missed the target, how is that the best anyone could do?

Cos it was if you look back at the chance. Chip was the right finish

2 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

A pass to the unmarked Vale for a tap in was the right finish.

That's what I thought in real time, but looking at the replay I don't think it's quite as cut and dry as that. Vale's in a bit of space but he has four defenders who aren't that far away when Morton takes the shot. He didn't have too much room for error with the cut-back, so I don't blame him for taking the shot on.

Missing the chance was worse than the decision making for me. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

That's what I thought in real time, but looking at the replay I don't think it's quite as cut and dry as that. Vale's in a bit of space but he has four defenders who aren't that far away when Morton takes the shot. He didn't have too much room for error with the cut-back, so I don't blame him for taking the shot on.

Missing the chance was worse than the decision making for me. 

I don't think scoring the chance was all that easy either when you look at the replay from behind the goal. Keeper closed it down well. It was score-able but not necessarily a sitter. I'd hope for better from an attacker, but for a typical centre mid I think the effort was fairly par for the course. Not that I think he should be playing.

One thing I would like to say and I'm surprised that it has been focused on more, is that was a sensational goal. Front to back, one side to the other, great cut back and outstanding first time finish. Imagine if liverpool or City did it, we'd never hear the end of it!