BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Blackpool (h) - 21/2/23

56 minutes ago, R0verb0y said:

What a wonderful video to watch first thing on the morning after!! 😉Thanks very much for posting it, @Sweaty Gussets. I am absolutely buzzing this morning!! There's a real spring in my walking stick-assisted steps!

The video took me back sixty-odd years to travelling over from Blackpool with schoolmates to watch our two teams playing in their traditional colours.

When we got to Ewood, I went in through the Darwen End turnstiles, while my mates entered the ground through the Blackburn End. We, erm, "exchanged banter" as we crossed on the Riverside at half-time and then travelled home together after the final whistle. As often as not, I was the one wearing the smug grin!

As I was when I heard the final score last night; and I know that the only one of those mates with whom I'm still in regular contact will be looking out with a bit of trepidation for a cheery email from me this morning!

Icing on the cake was last night's news from Millwall, which allowed an exchange of emails with another former pupil at our school - now resident in New Zealand - who supports our neighbours from east of Accrington!

In my emails to him, I paid more than lip service to JDT's oft-repeated comments about our progress being "a process".

I could imagine us emulating That Lot as they found their feet in being promoted to, and relegated from, the Premier League a couple of times in successive seasons in the early days of the management of the current Everton manager.

But that puts a heavy burden on Gregg's shoulders to come up with more, erm, "inspiring" inward transfers than last close season's choices. And on Waggott's office staff to process those transfers in good time!

Lovely old stories, sentiments and style of writing too. Wouldn’t you, me and a few others I suspect like to go back to the Blackburn of the 1960s? 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

I can name most of them. The devil incarnate centre stage with the pipe. A futture Scotland manager and well known businessman in there too 

Hidden previous post as added a video that didn’t work

i think you mean Dave Whelan?

Sorry for going off topic 

image.jpeg

Edited by wilsdenrover

9 hours ago, lraC said:

It’s two wins and a draw from the last three and 7 points. Very happy with that. 

Well so it is! I totally forgot about the Swansea game. If only it was that easy to forget losses... 

Think the point still stands, grinding out away points Vs better teams and beating weaker ones at home is good form. 

24 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

I can name most of them. The devil incarnate centre stage with the pipe. A futture Scotland manager and well known businessman in there too 

and Wales' manager for good measure!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Armchair supporter supremo said:

Will be interesting to see how he gets on at this level, good luck to him, just a shame he's gone to a shitshow of a football club 

I actually think Qpr are a well run club these days. They were a shit show when Fernandes first came in. But these days they have some decent young players who've come through their first team and they seemed to have a pretty consistent plan.

They were screwed over by Beale jumping ship to Rangers after only a few months in the job which left them in a bit of a panic. Critchley on paper seemed like an OK choice but he was terrible. Ainsworth is a surprising appointment in that his style is the opposite of what qpr have played for years. We'll see how they get on under him. 

After years of any long ball into our box causing panic, it’s good to now have 4 centre halves who are all adept and dealing with the basics. And we now appear to have 3 full backs, 1 who is able to play left or right. I enjoyed last night from the 30 minute mark onwards.

Great finish from Dolan whose decision-making in the second half only cost him MOTM to Brittain.

The only negative is Blackpool looked truly awful. Not only was their general technical play shocking, but so was their inability to get close to us in possession. We were stroking the ball around at the back like vintage Barcelona in the second half. The number of times we could play the ball into midfield and turn in yards of space was alarming for them. Contrast that to Swansea, who until they tired every time we got the ball in midfield were nudging, pressing and harassing us.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jim mk2 said:

Standing - Roy Isherwood, Harry Leyland, Dave Whelan,  John Bray, Mike England, Andy McEvoy, Mick McGrath, Bob Jones.

Seated - Matt Woods, Ally McCleod, Dougan, Fred Pickering.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, R0verb0y said:

What a wonderful video to watch first thing on the morning after!! 😉Thanks very much for posting it, @Sweaty Gussets. I am absolutely buzzing this morning!! There's a real spring in my walking stick-assisted steps!

The video took me back sixty-odd years to travelling over from Blackpool with schoolmates to watch our two teams playing in their traditional colours.

When we got to Ewood, I went in through the Darwen End turnstiles, while my mates entered the ground through the Blackburn End. We, erm, "exchanged banter" as we crossed on the Riverside at half-time and then travelled home together after the final whistle. As often as not, I was the one wearing the smug grin!

As I was when I heard the final score last night; and I know that the only one of those mates with whom I'm still in regular contact will be looking out with a bit of trepidation for a cheery email from me this morning!

Icing on the cake was last night's news from Millwall, which allowed an exchange of emails with another former pupil at our school - now resident in New Zealand - who supports our neighbours from east of Accrington!

In my emails to him, I paid more than lip service to JDT's oft-repeated comments about our progress being "a process".

I could imagine us emulating That Lot as they found their feet in being promoted to, and relegated from, the Premier League a couple of times in successive seasons in the early days of the management of the current Everton manager.

But that puts a heavy burden on Gregg's shoulders to come up with more, erm, "inspiring" inward transfers than last close season's choices. And on Waggott's office staff to process those transfers in good time!

You're welcome, and great post!

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, BournemouthFanGoEasy said:

Morning all. 

I did say I would pop back on and let you know what I thought. It certainly wasnt as bad as a few were making out. You absolutely toiled to create chances at times but you should have won that comfortably instead of the nervy finish. Blackpool were not good were they? It was worth turning up for the team goal and the celebration. Some cracking football in the leadup. 

I had a good chat to fans before and during the match. Common theme is that you dont feel you are ready to challenge at the top. But I think you are. You have to take the chances when they are there and if you can drag yourselves to promotion then the £200m can help cover any cracks. 

Thanks for a good night out, I might be back in a few weeks so will see if I can pop along again. Will keep my fingers crossed you can keep pushing on. 

I head back home at the end of the week and this weekend I get to watch arguably the best team in the world right now with some of the best players of this or any generation...... oh and Man City 😉

Cheers guys.  

The common theme you refer to is one of the dumbest that likes to circle our fanbase often when we are losing a few games.

There is NO such thing as ever not being ready for a promotion.

• Like 6

32 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Standing - Roy Isherwood, Harry Leyland, Dave Whelan,  John Bray, Mike England, Andy McEvoy, Mick McGrath, Bob Jones.

Seated - Matt Woods, Ally McCleod, Dougan, Fred Pickering.

Had you seen the photo before or could you just remember them all?

I’ve found a copy with the caption on it and you’re 100% correct!

This is the link - https://www.theguardian.com/sport/gallery/2020/oct/03/graffiti-fishing-and-mr-whippy-unseen-photographs-from-footballs-yesteryear

I’ll stop going off topic now!

Edited by wilsdenrover

A number of contenders for MotM last night. I chose Szmodics. He worked really hard and showed class on the ball. More of that, please, Sam.

Our midfield has been doing well to protect the defence who, in turn, are protecting Pears. Blackpool didn't have a single shot on target, although they did fluff their lines on a couple of occasions. Still, kudos to Tomasson on our defensive work and organisation, for which I've noticed a real difference in recent games. Defensive solidity is how you build results and points.

Gallagher continues to prove that he works hard, lacks quality, and lacks strength. I will never understand how he can be so weak for such a big unit. We may have to persist with him for now and hope he gets some sort of confidence back in his game, but I'd like to see Leonard given a chance from the bench to see how he fares.

All things considered, I was sceptical that we'd pick up maximum points from the last two games, but we got the job done, and it makes the two away draws at Watford and West Brom much more pleasant.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, wilsdenrover said:

Had you seen the photo before or could you just remember them all?

I’ve found a copy with the caption on it and you’re 100% correct!

This is the link - https://www.theguardian.com/sport/gallery/2020/oct/03/graffiti-fishing-and-mr-whippy-unseen-photographs-from-footballs-yesteryear

I’ll stop going off topic now!

I remember them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wilsdenrover said:

@R0verb0y would you have been at this match?

https://www.britishpathe.com/video/blackpool-v-blackburn-soccer/query/Rovers

added to Nostalgia thread

Any chance of anybody less technologically-challenged than me - not difficult! - copying the photo taken in the Ewood clubhouse to the Nostalgia thread, please? I've a comment on it that I'd like to offer that's inappropriate to this thread.