BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Blackpool (h) - 21/2/23

Enjoyed that 2nd half as much as anything in a long while we did everything but finish them off.  Fully deserved victory though can't pick fault in anyone tonight they all grafted from first till last.

That's what we are all about with this style.

I was pissed off at first with the number of fans missing and lack of home atmosphere it was like a live tv game. Then after 20 mins i thought no bloody wonder people are swerving even local derbies now with the lack of entertainment on offer, one shot in 24 mins was it ?

However a great goal crafted and finished off and from then on there was no lack of attacking. I feared the usual shut up shop on 65 mins job from JDT but to be fair they kept trying to go for it which is a new one at 1 nil up.  Definitely signs of progress and a clearer picture of what he's trying to do in the last few games.

Defensively and effort wise we were excellent throughout and even Gallagher, although he has the strikers nouse of a centre half, got through a lot of important work in other ways.

Tonight really highlighted again the lack of a proper central striker/poacher especially with someone like Thomas. We haven't had one for so long though it's no wonder we've forgotten what it's all about in the penalty area.

Shit ref again, Blackpool like Wigan aren't much good up top but these sides are so hard to play against. That's as good a 3 points as any other this season regardless of opposition, hope we go into QPR with tails up now, nothing to fear.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, DE. said:

Two issues there - a poor player but clearly also very low on confidence, having not scored or really contributed in any noticable way in a very long time now. With a bit of confidence Gally can put himself about somewhat and scab the odd goal here and there... without confidence, though, he really does offer absolutely nothing. We really have to hope something bounces off any part of his body and into the net at some point, just to give him that slight boost he desperately needs. 

I watch him closely tonight and don't underestimate his contribution to that result. He was putting his foot in all over the park and doing a bit of shithousing as well generally grabbing, pushing, holding.  He also won quite a few headers from clearances although they went nowhere in particular.

Just a pity he has zero idea in front of goal unless it's on a plate.

• Like 1

I thought it was a better performance and game from start to finish tonight compared to Saturday. I think part of that might have been down to a better atmosphere with a reasonable away following, but it was clear we were more 'fired up' to get into them early on whereas on Saturday we seemed to laid back in the first half.

After getting 1-0 up particularly second half it was full of commitment and effort and really should have got a second to put it to bed. But another committed display, another deserved clean sheet despite enforced changes at the back and another win.

Like or loathe the way we play the results are coming and I don't think anyone can put a negative spin on them at present or our position. Of course there is a good chance it won't continue with the lack of depth and options we have at our disposal, but JDT is finding a way to grind it out at present.

Read somewhere that's the 2nd highest points tally at home in the League. 

Such a crying shame the efforts of July to January didn't earn him a sliver of backing in January. But that's what happens when owned and operated by charlatans, liars and bullshitters. Maybe somewhere in a recess of a Venky or Waggott brain there is a 'what if' ringing about what could be possible this season if they'd made any effort to reinforce in January. Probably not, but Waggott is still cashing in on the 'jam tomorrow' stuff by referencing potential free agent signings that we all know will never materialise. 

The Mowbray obsessives can have a few nights off, they were out in force last week after Sunderland moved briefly above us but will be silent now we are back above them, as we have been most of the season.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Mercer said:

Think we'll have too much much for Blackpool tonight - they are really, really poor - think they'll struggle to cope with likes of Dolan, Thomas and even Szmodics.

Lumped on at marginally better than evens and gone for £10 each on Thomas and Dolan as anytime scorers at 7/1 and 3/1 respectively.  More quality reds to come!  Tonight's 'quaffer' is a Douro Valley Reserva from Waitrose - highly recommended and terrific value at about £12. 

Another profitable night and another case of fine reds ordered - thanks Rovers!

We are getting some very good results despite a threadbare squad - I really hope we don't come to regret our abysmal window.

Against all the odds, now back up to 4th - where will it all end - can go to bed and dream tonight!

Rovers a very difficult watch at times under JDT but to be 4th when he's got his hands tied behind his back!  I do like the fact he is prepared to leave 'big name' players out.

An Ainsworth inspired QPR is going to be one big test on Saturday - just hope we've something left in the tank.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, JPTSwindon said:

Valuable 3 points, another clean sheet, better gate and back in the play-offs.

League table though doesn’t hide the (lack of) goals for / difference, but we definitely going in the right direction. If not enough this season, certainly bodes well for next.

Maybe we’re saving all the goals for the playoffs ; - )

• Like 1

Missed the game tonight due to other commitments but it feels like a big win in the big picture. Back in the top 6, multiple big defensive displays, we look like a good solid outfit now. 
Saturday is very winable, and I think 3 points there will get everyone on this board believing. This team looks less likely to bottle it than prior years!

Glad to hear Szmodics had a good game, I imagine he’ll have a run now so we want him in form and fit. Can’t comment on players really given I didn’t watch, but what a fantastic set of results recently. Well done JDT and all. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, JHRover said:

I thought it was a better performance and game from start to finish tonight compared to Saturday. I think part of that might have been down to a better atmosphere with a reasonable away following, but it was clear we were more 'fired up' to get into them early on whereas on Saturday we seemed to laid back in the first half.

After getting 1-0 up particularly second half it was full of commitment and effort and really should have got a second to put it to bed. But another committed display, another deserved clean sheet despite enforced changes at the back and another win.

Like or loathe the way we play the results are coming and I don't think anyone can put a negative spin on them at present or our position. Of course there is a good chance it won't continue with the lack of depth and options we have at our disposal, but JDT is finding a way to grind it out at present.

Read somewhere that's the 2nd highest points tally at home in the League. 

Such a crying shame the efforts of July to January didn't earn him a sliver of backing in January. But that's what happens when owned and operated by charlatans, liars and bullshitters. Maybe somewhere in a recess of a Venky or Waggott brain there is a 'what if' ringing about what could be possible this season if they'd made any effort to reinforce in January. Probably not, but Waggott is still cashing in on the 'jam tomorrow' stuff by referencing potential free agent signings that we all know will never materialise. 

The Mowbray obsessives can have a few nights off, they were out in force last week after Sunderland moved briefly above us but will be silent now we are back above them, as we have been most of the season.

Yep they were finally out from under their rocks all over social media last week after waiting months for the opportunity. 

Like i said last season it's like they are Tony Mowbray fans first and Rovers fans second but hes reverted to type in typical fashion. And as if by magic there's no sign of the 'should have kept Tony' brigade this week thank god.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Cant argue with another win and somehow being 4th in the league.

Performance wise, like watching paint dry. Doesnt seem to be any attacking plan and a dearth of attacking plan and quality with hardly any chances again created. Dolan with an excellent goal but otherwise was as bad as he has been for sometimes, constantly losing the ball, stupid repeated stepovers and an embarassing dive. Szmodics runs around with minimal quality and Thomas does offer us natural width but his end product is underwhelming and I think his assist was meant for Travis. The less said about Gallagher the better and Morton playing off Vale overtakes Varney and Brown in the worst attacking duo I can remember.

Defensively excellent though, both full backs competing for man of the match, Pears could have sat next to me. All 3 centre backs dealt with a poor Blackpool side easily, Hyam the stand out and Travis is really performing well at the moment. Buckley is not a deep central midfielder, Adam Wharton needed for the weekend. Under Tomasson we are well organised to be fair.

Like watching paint dry? Hardly any chances created? At times this season yes for sure, but I ain't having that tonight. Enjoyable game first 20 or so aside.

• Like 8

27 minutes ago, Songman said:

Like watching paint dry? Hardly any chances created? At times this season yes for sure, but I ain't having that tonight. Enjoyable game first 20 or so aside.

Would have to disagree. A stark lack of quality on show and only the goal and Morton's poor finish were good chances. The entertainment of the game not helped by a truly dismal opposition. Its a poor quality league in general so tonight wasnt out of the ordinary.

Don't get me wrong, I went home very happy as we won and you can't argue with a win or the league position so thats the main thing. But not an entertaining watch.

Can we please stop using this death spiral shite... Reminds me of the 80s standing in the Riverside. 

As for tonight's performance against a MM team fighting relegation and with a few players missing.... A great result and performance. From goalie ( nowt to do) all players were worthy of mom in my opinion. 

Just hope we can perform at QPR. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Exiled_Rover said:

He's been good since he's come back into the side post-Christmas.

Really interesting to see that they have him dropping in to cover JRC at times. He provides a bit of mobility, intensity and fighting spirit in the middle, which is always needed.

Also interesting that he brought Morton on for Szmodics, i.e. as an AMC. I wonder if that means they've finally given up with Tyler at CM cos he's so weak defensively?

John Buckley was my MOTM btw - fantastic performance tonight, absolutely ran the show.

Despite his critics on here, I love Buckley. I might see something others don’t and it has been a while since I saw it, but last night, he had that extra split second again, that a good football brain gives certain players.

On his day, he picks the passes that cause damage. Hopefully, he is back to his best and he can start doing the things he is good at and be the difference, come the final analysis. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Would have to disagree. A stark lack of quality on show and only the goal and Morton's poor finish were good chances. The entertainment of the game not helped by a truly dismal opposition. Its a poor quality league in general so tonight wasnt out of the ordinary.

Don't get me wrong, I went home very happy as we won and you can't argue with a win or the league position so thats the main thing. But not an entertaining watch.

Surely the only thing that is Rovers win and the played with passion, effort and commitment? 

6 hours ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

What a wonderful video to watch first thing on the morning after!! 😉Thanks very much for posting it, @Sweaty Gussets. I am absolutely buzzing this morning!! There's a real spring in my walking stick-assisted steps!

The video took me back sixty-odd years to travelling over from Blackpool with schoolmates to watch our two teams playing in their traditional colours.

When we got to Ewood, I went in through the Darwen End turnstiles, while my mates entered the ground through the Blackburn End. We, erm, "exchanged banter" as we crossed on the Riverside at half-time and then travelled home together after the final whistle. As often as not, I was the one wearing the smug grin!

As I was when I heard the final score last night; and I know that the only one of those mates with whom I'm still in regular contact will be looking out with a bit of trepidation for a cheery email from me this morning!

Icing on the cake was last night's news from Millwall, which allowed an exchange of emails with another former pupil at our school - now resident in New Zealand - who supports our neighbours from east of Accrington!

In my emails to him, I paid more than lip service to JDT's oft-repeated comments about our progress being "a process".

I could imagine us emulating That Lot as they found their feet in being promoted to, and relegated from, the Premier League a couple of times in successive seasons in the early days of the management of the current Everton manager.

But that puts a heavy burden on Gregg's shoulders to come up with more, erm, "inspiring" inward transfers than last close season's choices. And on Waggott's office staff to process those transfers in good time!

• Like 7

9 hours ago, JohnD said:

JDT hanging in there and his rotation system is keeping us injury free

I think he's done pretty well all thing considered. The summer transfer window didn't give us the 2 players we needed most and astonishingly neither did the second!

We all knew we were light in key areas and the squad collectively was over-reliant on younger lads ex-Academy.

So, he has made us hard to beat on the whole but that's to ignore too many heavy defeats where we didn't turn up.

Didn't expect us to be in the 6 at this stage of the season. It hasn't been pretty but given the gaps that's hardly surprising.

So, whatever position we finish, the season has been encouraging and 2 good transfer windows would allow us to build on what's being achieved .

Its up to the rest of the staff to pull their weight in the summer. I'm happy we have JDT.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, lraC said:

Despite his critics on here, I love Buckley. I might see something others don’t and it has been a while since I saw it, but last night, he had that extra split second again, that a good football brain gives certain players.

On his day, he picks the passes that cause damage. Hopefully, he is back to his best and he can start doing the things he is good at and be the difference, come the final analysis. 

Buckley is a very good player, the problem he has is that his style of floaty close control looks really bad when it doesn't come off. His ability to hold the ball and keep it under massive pressure is probably the best in the squad, just needs a bit more consistency. 

• Like 3