BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Blackpool (h) - 21/2/23

14 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Very content. Well done to all. A nervous final few minutes but we got there.

Travis had his best game for ages. Szmodics too. Brittain and Dolan were standouts. Thomas good in patches. All of our defence put a shift in.

Gallagher runs around a lot. Not much else. Vale doesn't.

I've been critical of JDT but somehow he's got us back in the playoff positions. Long way still to go but with a number of teams around us with no standouts we่ have as good a chance as any of them. Well done JDT.

I was saying that to the guy sat next to me, another nervous finish, if we can learn to put games to sleep with a few goals, the supporters won't have to reach for the nerve pills.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, lraC said:

I thought Travis had his best game for months. 

He's been good since he's come back into the side post-Christmas.

Really interesting to see that they have him dropping in to cover JRC at times. He provides a bit of mobility, intensity and fighting spirit in the middle, which is always needed.

Also interesting that he brought Morton on for Szmodics, i.e. as an AMC. I wonder if that means they've finally given up with Tyler at CM cos he's so weak defensively?

John Buckley was my MOTM btw - fantastic performance tonight, absolutely ran the show.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, R0verb0y said:

Indeed; it ought to be the best League gate since the famous home game against Oxford United!

If Waggott and Co. can't sell tickets for that game and have some package ready for sale for the remaining games, they really should pack up.

No trains from Preston that day. 

• Moderation Lead

Always happy to come away with a win and tonight no different.

Thought Travis had a good game but the stand outs for me were Hyam and Brittain. 
Glad Dolan got his goal, still feel like he does a few too many tricks and at times he does these and turns away from goal when in good positions. Still, he won us the match with a great finish, so that’s what ultimately counts!

Where the Blackpool fans had a double handball shout, about a couple of mins before the end, I felt like the second one looked handball from where I was sitting at the time, so glad that went in our favour!

• Like 3

Good performance against the poorest team I've seen this season. Should have been 3 or 4 nil with better finishing or better final pass or decision. 

Dolan took his goal that very well. 

Travis was back to the old Travis tonight. 

Back 4 played well and Brittain impressed at left vack. Buckley was good tonight and controlled out passing 

Szmodics's work rate is excellent. 

Win, another clean sheet and 4th in the league couldn't be better. 

JDT's Blue and White Army 🔵 ️ 

If Mick McCarthy keeps them up then he deserves the freedom of Blackpool. Such a poor team. I did think at one point they were playing Rugby with the times the kick the ball out of play. 

Edited by chaddyrovers
  • Like 2

I thought tonight the collective was really good, perhaps the best team performance at Ewood for some time. Lots of seven out of ten tonight for me. I have been critical of us in the past for looking a bit tame at times but tonight we had a really good old fashioned scrap and came out on top. In truth I never felt unduly concerned that Blackpool would score but a second for us would have been nice. My only concern was how tired some players looked although in fairness Tomasson did take off the more tired ones and this breathed some new life into us. With a few days rest now and players coming back we should be getting stronger. Winning football matches is what we exist to do and long may it continue. George Graham and his Arsenal team eat your hearts out 😂😂.

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Buckley is not a deep central midfielder, Adam Wharton needed for the weekend.

A point often overlooked. Morton was brought in to take the ball off the CB's and dictate play. Unfortunately he's just too young and lacks the required strength. We don't have another player like him. Buckley is more of a CM/AM, Travis is an old-school CM, and I'd also argue Adam Wharton is better going forward. He's certainly not the same type of player as Morton. 

We've just got to pray LOB gets to sign. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

A point often overlooked. Morton was brought in to take the ball off the CB's and dictate play. Unfortunately he's just too young and lacks the required strength. We don't have another player like him. Buckley is more of a CM/AM, Travis is an old-school CM, and I'd also argue Adam Wharton is better going forward. He's certainly not the same type of player as Morton. 

We've just got to pray LOB gets to sign. 

Morton should have looked inside when he went for that chip past the keeper. There was a Rovers player wide open on the penalty spot. Play the percentages. A chip from a really awkward angle or a slipped pass inside. I know what Dack would have done in the same position.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DE. said:

Will note that it was probably too harsh of me to say Travis was "still struggling", more like he was solid but I think there's much more to come from him. Just an incorrect post-match comment on my part.

There are no 'incorrect' comments, my reply to you was an alternative viewpoint. Travis has been shite for months, but dropping him has had a big impact on his performance levels. 

JDT's man-management has proved to be good on quite a few occasions. He seems to get a reaction when he leaves players out. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

Always happy to come away with a win and tonight no different.

Thought Travis had a good game but the stand outs for me were Hyam and Brittain. 
Glad Dolan got his goal, still feel like he does a few too many tricks and at times he does these and turns away from goal when in good positions. Still, he won us the match with a great finish, so that’s what ultimately counts!

Where the Blackpool fans had a double handball shout, about a couple of mins before the end, I felt like the second one looked handball from where I was sitting at the time, so glad that went in our favour!

We were solid at the back after scoring. This time last season we were plummeting down the table under TM. Could it be Sunderlands turn 1-1 at the weekend and beaten with Rotheram tonight.

• Like 2

• Backroom
4 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

There are no 'incorrect' comments, my reply to you was an alternative viewpoint. Travis has been shite for months, but dropping him has had a big impact on his performance levels. 

JDT's man-management has proved to be good on quite a few occasions. He seems to get a reaction when he leaves players out. 

I genuinely think I was being too harsh. Lad has been good since he came back so it wasn't the right thing to say. Sometimes you type something quickly post-match and it doesn't come out how you intend, so it's my mistake. I'd agree on JDT's man management, he's taken some stick at times for it, but it's gotten results more than once this season so far.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

Another good win. Controlled the midfield, solid at the back.

Criminal we didn't bring a striker or two in in the window. 

The club has risked large losses on potential transfers in the hope that the team might eke out promotion. Brereton-Diaz for one has, presumably, been kept for this chance and last year it occurred with Lenihan, Rothwell and Nyambe.

And, yet, now the club have a chance of the play-offs, they didn't risk a smaller additional loss/outlay on a loan fee or small transfer fee for a striker or central midfielder to boost the team's chances. It makes absolutely no sense to me. Why make high stakes risks with expiring contracts if you're not going to back the team? Sorba Thomas is proving a useful addition but we needed more. Might as well just cash in on Brereton-Diaz because, frankly, the team's promotion chances are low because there is no central forward and the midfield is struggling with the manager's instructions. I hope my pessimism is misplaced.

Edited by riverholmes

42 minutes ago, neophox said:

Qpr appoint Ainsworth...

The partner of one of my cousins is a QPR fan and reckons that Ainsworth has a lot of arses to give a good kicking there.

So am I being too superstitious in worrying about a "New manager bounce" for them on Saturday?

Feeling more positive now. The defending with these clean sheets is just sensational-credit where its due Hyam,Ayala & Carter all good again,and JRC plus Brittain not too bad either plus 2 reasonable goalies (when Kaminski is fit).

Much prefer building from the back in the time-honoured Allardyce traditions.

So grateful Mowbrayfication has finally ended also. The Academy is truly playing its part and credit to JDT for game-managing the players(as best he can). Hes getting a gallon out of a pint pot at the moment. Well done!

• Like 7

53 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Morton should have looked inside when he went for that chip past the keeper. There was a Rovers player wide open on the penalty spot. Play the percentages. A chip from a really awkward angle or a slipped pass inside. I know what Dack would have done in the same position.

It was Vale, so I'm not sure even I'd pass to him.

That said, he didn't see him - he didn't even look up, he only had eyes for goal.