BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Blackpool (h) - 21/2/23

29 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Sorba Thomas must have looked at Brereton and Gallagher and thought "I'm going to get assists here"

Little did he realise how poor both of them are at attacking balls in the box. Gallagher actually takes the piss with how bad he is at getting across his man

What irks me is that he has regressed since his days under Coyle. His strength there was getting across his man, and if you remember he scored goals by attacking balls into the middle

He’s gone backwards over the last season or two. He was never the greatest but at the moment he’s dire.

2 hours ago, Exiled_Rover said:

The moaning and groaning when we're playing the ball around the back, looking for that incisive ball to a CM (where Buckley et al turns on it and runs into acres of space when they beat the press) grinds my gears.

"I don't like this! Get rid!" etc is what you hear around me. I think they'd much rather we just hoof the ball up to Thomas and Gallagher and try to feed on the second balls.

Agree with this 100%, but there is often not a forward pass option available due to lack of movement in midfield. This causes the defenders to keep passing sideways which then leads to the groans etc. The biggest thing that would help us get forward quicker though would be Buckley / Travis  / any of midfield being constantly on the move to create the angles for a quick pass into midfield. There were numerous times this could and should have happened last night. This is also where Smodics movement helped a bit, and where Adam Wharton could contribute massively when he next gets a chance...........he needs to make sure he takes it. 

Edited by BlueBro
Amendment
  • Like 5

8 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Surely the only thing that is Rovers win and the played with passion, effort and commitment? 

Passion, effort and commitment should be a minimum expectation.

Always been consistent in my stance that it is about points, but that doesn't mean that I can't also comment on performances. As I have put in the other thread but it is more relevant here:

In isolation, I can say that Tomasson's style of football is terrible to watch. That doesn't mean that I don't appreciate the recent run of 4 games, the general organisation of the team or the fact that Tomasson can clearly build a solid base, or that the home form is strong. It also doesn't mean that I have changed on my stance that it all comes down to results nor that I am anything other than happy that we are sat in 4th, I will happily watch a boring game as I have done twice within the last week at Ewood if I get the satisfaction of 3 points once that whistle goes and beyond.

If you replaced Rovers with another random side and had watched the 2 games we have seen at Ewood, you would not have been remotely entertained.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, BlueBro said:

Agree with this 100%, but there is often not a forward pass option available due to lack of movement in midfield. 

Not buying this theory.  My view is that the lads at the back don't have it in the locker to find those incisive balls to beat a press.  Don't tell me there's nobody on, they choose not to pass forward....shithouse football a la Mogadon

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Passion, effort and commitment should be a minimum expectation.

Always been consistent in my stance that it is about points, but that doesn't mean that I can't also comment on performances. As I have put in the other thread but it is more relevant here:

In isolation, I can say that Tomasson's style of football is terrible to watch. That doesn't mean that I don't appreciate the recent run of 4 games, the general organisation of the team or the fact that Tomasson can clearly build a solid base, or that the home form is strong. It also doesn't mean that I have changed on my stance that it all comes down to results nor that I am anything other than happy that we are sat in 4th, I will happily watch a boring game as I have done twice within the last week at Ewood if I get the satisfaction of 3 points once that whistle goes and beyond.

If you replaced Rovers with another random side and had watched the 2 games we have seen at Ewood, you would not have been remotely entertained.

Certainly agree with the first sentence. I find it wild that players/teams fall short on that. You can make up for a lack of quality with those traits. Some quality certainly helps though!

Completely get where you're coming from in terms of the results v entertainment debate. I do think the entertainment side is quite subjective though. Although we're certainly not playing free flowing attacking football, some people really appreciate the dark arts of the game and defending in general. If anything, that's been the most pleasing thing for me recently.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, booth said:

People say he puts in the effort but I don't see it. When he was here on loan he was playing for a contract but since he got signed he gets a decent wedge every week and simply lacks desire and passion for the game. Earlier in the season someone pissed him off and he put in a decent performance, probably his only one.

I've seen bad strikers and they try but just can't hit the net. He rarely gets the opportunity because he doesn't seem interested most of the time.

He looked visibly pissed off at himself over that miss last night though.

I think it's just poor anticipation rather than lack of effort. I think he visibly puts a shift in, but he's no good at all at finding space in the box. Couple that with his often poor first touch, he is never going to be getting a hatful of chances. 

I think season shows that it was never going to be a case of 'play him centrally - problem solved', with Gallagher. He is a better player than he has shown recently, but at the same time he just has some fundamental flaws to his game that are always going to hold him back. 

Edited by Admiral Nelsen
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Not buying this theory.  My view is that the lads at the back don't have it in the locker to find those incisive balls to beat a press.  Don't tell me there's nobody on, they choose not to pass forward....shithouse football a la Mogadon

It's both. I was frustrated first half, but Buckley improved and went looking for the ball a bit more rather than hiding. Ayala & Hyam can't play the ball forward as well as Carter & even Wharton. It was noticeable last night.

Edited by SBlue
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, SBlue said:

It's both. I was frustrated first half, but Buckley improved and went looking for the ball a bit more rather than hiding. Ayala & Hyam can't play the ball forward as well as Carter & even Wharton. It was noticeable last night.

I agree with you. I think Hyam is actually ok at playing in out, he even sells the odd dummy to get in a position to play it forward. Saying that, if the CBs want to give it to full backs and what should be the more technical players then they should have the ability to find out centre midfielders or wingers. Carter played some lovely balls out of defense last night, S Wharton has it in the locker too. I don't even think Ayala is that bad either.

Need more from the middle, you could see on multiple occasions last night that Brittain and JRC were looking for Travis and Buckley to show but weren't in a position to receive it. Equally it's a trust thing, I wouldn't be too keen to fire a pass into Travis or Buckley inside our half, Travis first touch can be sloppy and Buckley dwells on it too long and can get easily brushed off it. 

I don't mind playing the ball about a little but maybe the best out would be into our wingers feet and working it out from there. Through the middle with the players we have currently is very risky.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, RoverKyle said:

Certainly agree with the first sentence. I find it wild that players/teams fall short on that. You can make up for a lack of quality with those traits. Some quality certainly helps though!

Completely get where you're coming from in terms of the results v entertainment debate. I do think the entertainment side is quite subjective though. Although we're certainly not playing free flowing attacking football, some people really appreciate the dark arts of the game and defending in general. If anything, that's been the most pleasing thing for me recently.

Of course, totally agree that entertainment is subjective. We have struggled to create chances and offer a sustained goal threat throughout the season, and the tempo has been slow for the majority of games. Take many managers who are tarred with the brush of playing boring football ie Allardyce/Dyche etc, they might not pass it out from the back (which to me isn't necessarily entertaining anyway) but their teams do focus on having the ball in dangerous areas so that is more entertaining than watching Rovers this season.

Ultimately, results are the important thing so I much prefer the satisfaction of a win over the potential excitement of lots of chances when we don't win.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

On an unrelated note -  I'd love to see a replay of Hedges' flick late in the game. What was he thinking then? Thomas crossed into the box and he tried to flick it back to Morton (I think) rather than just taking the shot on. Was he blocked from having a clear shot on goal?

All happened a bit quickly, but in real time I thought that he ran slightly past the ball by the time it reached him so would've needed to take another touch before getting the shot away. Could be wrong though. 

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

1 hour ago, Sparks Rover said:

I was watching your mate Buckley very closely last night and lost count of the number of times he could have made a subtle movement to create a pass for the defender, and for whatever reason didn't bother. I'm hoping that after his improved 2nd half showing he'll be more willing and confident to make himself available. Our defenders need more options, unless you're saying Buckley and Travis were making all the right angles but being ignored..........must have missed that.

Edited by BlueBro
Amendment

1 hour ago, Exiled_Rover said:

On an unrelated note -  I'd love to see a replay of Hedges' flick late in the game. What was he thinking then? Thomas crossed into the box and he tried to flick it back to Morton (I think) rather than just taking the shot on. Was he blocked from having a clear shot on goal?

I think it was because it fell on his right foot, shocking decision though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BlueBro said:

I was watching your mate Buckley very closely last night and lost count of the number of times he could have made a subtle movement to create a pass for the defender, and for whatever reason didn't bother. I'm hoping that after his improved 2nd half showing he'll be more willing and confident to make himself available. Our defenders need more options, unless you're saying Buckley and Travis were making all the right angles but being ignored..........must have missed that.

I was talking generally really throughout the season and the last few aswell.

But, yes we need better midfielders without question 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

One thing i've noticed, when one of our players goes on a decent run and gets in a good position, theres nobody around to pass to players are stood around daydreaming. After saying this well done Rovers a solid performance under the circumstances with our injuries. And well done the Blackburn end, noisiest i've heard it for a while, they cheered Rovers over the finishing line.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BlueBro said:

Said the same thing, first half in particular. Buckley moved side to side with the ball. It's almost stupid sounding, but the best in the world create space by standing still. He just moves with his marker and is never free.

I thought Buckley had a decent game last night he was breaking up their play well and keeping it simple. Again it helps him having the likes of Thomas taking off down the right and Brittain choosing his forward moments well.

Gives the mids options of a quick ball instead of stopping then turning backwards.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

In isolation, I can say that Tomasson's style of football is terrible to watch. That doesn't mean that I don't appreciate the recent run of 4 games, the general organisation of the team or the fact that Tomasson can clearly build a solid base, or that the home form is strong.

Has others have said JDT has built a team that is well drilled and defensive organised. Building from the back. Hopefully as we carry on we can add more quality attacking players to help us attack more. 

I don't think last night performance was awful to watch. We were good overall. Travis, Dolan, Brittain and Buckley all played well. If we had braver on playing Thomas more down the right we would have created more chances perhaps 

It also doesn't mean that I have changed on my stance that it all comes down to results nor that I am anything other than happy that we are sat in 4th, I will happily watch a boring game as I have done twice within the last week at Ewood if I get the satisfaction of 3 points once that whistle goes and beyond.

I don't think either game was boring  

you can enjoyed watching a well organised and drilled team. 

Getting a playoff place is a good possibility straight now. 

6 hours ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Honestly we'll get blown away in the playoffs. We simply don't have the fire power to overcome a good team that's flying at the end of the season.

Still, I'd love to get there - it'd be positive progress.

Probably, but football's a weird game that can throw up all sorts of weirdness over the short course of 2 games. Once you're there you just never know.

• Like 1