BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Adam Wharton

• Backroom

Immense for the lad, got a chance and took it, seems it was a perfect move for him giving him playing time and players around him that will highlight his passing ability by taking the chances and making the runs.

Knew he was good, I just didn’t know as much as you lot about how good!

Find the self congratulatory article on the Rovers website about the boy wonder a little odd 

IMG_1987.thumb.jpeg.c1a1a7618a038a7b982a78567044ce22.jpeg

The bottom paragraph with makes it sound like he’s still a Rovers player or they are just randomly making things up (for example Phil Jones made his England debut in 2011)

• Like 3

• Backroom

Delighted for Adam. Hopefully the start of a new England ‘Golden Generation’ (at least in midfield/forward).

Venkys and Waggott can go f*** themselves. C***s.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Not for me. 

my team if everyone is fit is 

Pickford 

Walker Stones Maguire Shaw

Rice Bellingham

Saka Foden Grealish 

Kane

Explain Grealish?

3 goals 1 assist this season 

vs

Cole Palmer

22 goals 11 assists

The rest of your team is quality though 

IMG_7140.jpeg

• Like 2

PS I had a bet with my mate that Wharton would be in the full England squad by the end of 2024

Turns out even I was being pessimistic. 

Meanwhile the media are only talking about why Rashford, Henderson & Nick Pope aren’t in the squad 🤔 

Posted (edited)

Very impressive from Adam Wharton. I felt the initial praise after his move was too much, especially, given he was making some notable defensive errors in the midst of fine passing displays. However, there's no doubt that his partnership with Will Hughes has helped Palace transform.

It makes me wonder why Rovers didn't get more out of Wharton. It's true that football becomes easier with better players supporting you but given Wharton's now evident level, I feel we didn't get the most out of him, especially, against lesser players.

I wonder if part of the issue was failing to find a Will Hughes type player to partner him. The brief highlights I've seen of Palace recently suggest that Wharton plays as a double pivot with Hughes, with the latter slightly more defensive. Hughes's energy and bite complements Wharton's more languid style and attacking minded instinct. Perhaps, Rovers played him too deep. Not sure.

He'll have a job to make the final 26-man squad, when its cut down in June but clearly a huge achievement for him. Credit to Rovers academy and the player himself - and such a shame that Rovers didn't hold onto him for another year. That said, given the dire straits the team and club are in, I could easily imagine us continuing to struggle, even with him in the team.

Edited by riverholmes
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Tom said:

Immense for the lad, got a chance and took it, seems it was a perfect move for him giving him playing time and players around him that will highlight his passing ability by taking the chances and making the runs.

Knew he was good, I just didn’t know as much as you lot about how good!

Find the self congratulatory article on the Rovers website about the boy wonder a little odd 

IMG_1987.thumb.jpeg.c1a1a7618a038a7b982a78567044ce22.jpeg

The bottom paragraph with makes it sound like he’s still a Rovers player or they are just randomly making things up (for example Phil Jones made his England debut in 2011)

Wow, if I ever knew that Frank Fielding was called up to the senior England team, I've long since forgotten it. How the hell did he manage that?? Judging by his Wiki it would have been when his highest level of experience was in League One...surely there would have been several English keepers of better pedigree in higher leagues available. Ben Foster was injured but they can't all have been...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bluebruce said:

Wow, if I ever knew that Frank Fielding was called up to the senior England team, I've long since forgotten it. How the hell did he manage that?? Judging by his Wiki it would have been when his highest level of experience was in League One...surely there would have been several English keepers of better pedigree in higher leagues available. Ben Foster was injured but they can't all have been...

If I recall rightly, Fielding was promoted from the England U21s, after a senior goalkeeper dropped out. The England manager at the time opted to promote internally, rather than get someone new in from outside the two squads. Just from memory, mind you.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Wharton will get more and more media coverage as the public latches on to him; I bet there's a fair few football fans who aren't really aware of him and will be shocked to see him in the squad

I just hope Rovers and not Palace get at least most of the credit for finding and nurturing him

I still disagree on complaints about the £18m fee: we set a purchase price and only one club was prepared to pay it.  

I’m not having that Jim, even the dogs in the street know the purchase price was whatever Palace decided to offer us.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, sabino said:

We got the £20m because he was in championship and had yet to even break into under 21s.

For me the fee was on the low side of fair.

What concerns me is whether we insisted on the add ons that his potential warranted. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I haven’t a problem with the price we got although it could,and maybe should have been more,but what concerns me is what the morons at the top installed as a percentage of any future transfer. Regardless of what they say it is, I’m sure we will soon find out given the interest being shown in the lad. 
Regarding who gets the credit for developing him from a young age Jim, of course that should go to Rovers but when Palace signed him there were lots of comments from their fans “ Never heard of him, only people in Blackburn know him, why ave we signed this no mark” etc etc.

i pointed out to them that Adam would be an England player within 18 months, wrong again from me but they fully derided my comments. Now it seems they think it was Palace who nurtured him. 
Doesn’t matter in the long run, we all know the truth and if he stays in the final selection to go to the Euros then I along with everyone on here will be and should be so proud. 

Edited by Ianrally

The move to Palace has obviously been perfect for Wharton and he has grasped the opportunity with both hands. I am pleased for him. On the other hand I am totally gutted that we had to sell him so soon due to Venky's self inflicted problems in India.

I'd rather see him in a Rovers shirt than an England shirt.

• Like 6

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, wilsdenrover said:

For me the fee was on the low side of fair.

What concerns me is whether we insisted on the add ons that his potential warranted. 

Really, it shouldn't have been too hard to throw in add ons like '5 million if he makes 5/10 England appearances', as any young player doing that is automatically worth about 50 million, and we should have been able to negotiate at least 20% of profit on next sale instead of the 15 we allegedly got, as there's no real risk to that as they're making profit if it happens anyway. I think 20-22 mill guaranteed is chump change to a Prem side too. But we were in too much of a rush to get the pennies in, and about as good at negotiating as Neville Chamberlain.

Edited by bluebruce
  • Like 2

• Backroom

The more I think about it, the more I think Adam WILL be the second coming of TUGAY.

Not only in his languid style of play and passing ability, but how he seems to get even better when placed alongside better players (who are on his wavelength). He’s even lost the ‘Tugay’s invisible friend’ syndrome that occasionally blighted some passes here.

Tugay from Rangers to Rovers = Wharton from Rovers to Palace.

Plus he’s developed that defensive bite that JDT wanted him to work on.

Just needs to add long range goals to his repertoire.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Mike E said:

The more I think about it, the more I think Adam WILL be the second coming of TUGAY.

Not only in his languid style of play and passing ability, but how he seems to get even better when placed alongside better players (who are on his wavelength). He’s even lost the ‘Tugay’s invisible friend’ syndrome that occasionally blighted some passes here.

He got a nice one against Millwall at the New Den when we won but managed to avoid the playoffs 🙈

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Mike E said:

And smoke 50 a day

This says it all. Never mind the call up, deserves to start and better than Mainoo in a lot of aspects. 

The snobbery of the top 6 makes me sick, they'll be trying to sign him for obscene amounts now when they could of took a low risk punt but instead the likes of United are wasting 150 million on crap like Anthony and Mount. 

It's not just him, look at Gyokeres, smashed this league, was clearly too good for it, one season at Sporting Lisbon and now top clubs are willing to risk obscene amounts on him aswell. 

Where is the scouting at these clubs? I can't believe the amount of sh*t heads involved at the upper levels of football that haven't got a clue and never played even at any standard. 

Screenshot_2024-05-21-11-28-45-527_com.android.chrome.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, DuffsLeftPeg said:

Explain Grealish?

3 goals 1 assist this season 

vs

Cole Palmer

22 goals 11 assists

The rest of your team is quality though 

IMG_7140.jpeg

Palmer is better on the right or centre not on the left side of the attack for me. Grealish then Gordon for me as next options. 

Whether we like it or not, his move has been perfect for him. A top 6 club wouldn’t have put him in their team, and Palace have enough good players further up the pitch to make the intelligent runs that leverage his vision and passing range.

Maybe I’m making this up but my sense is that when Andy Cole was up front, Tugay was in his pomp because Cole had such terrific movement. When Jason Roberts was up front was when we signed Tugay’s invisible friend. Tugay would’ve probably just sat on the ball if he’d had Sam Gallagher up front.

• Like 8