BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Adam Wharton

3 hours ago, Rogerb said:

Of the clubs rumoured to be interested Palace were the ones who still had room within their transfer cycle to make a bid. The other rumoured interested parties didn't have freed up funds until the summer and couldn't bid without breaking the limits. That's not to say they couldn't have agreed a loan with a view to purchase in the summer but the owners wanted the money now.

needed

• Like 1

22 hours ago, simongarnerisgod said:

when olise,mateta,anderson,guehi,wharton and eze end up at bigger clubs you`ll be in the championship as well!!!!!!!!! you only got him because our owners and ceo are useless morons,if we`de held on for another season he would`nt have come anywhere near your decrepit shed like ground

There are plenty of young players coming through.  Palace under 21's just won the premier league international cup.   The academy is working.   Then there's the Parish factor.     So not a concern at this stage.   The new stand build starts this closed season apparently, although they've said that before.  To be honest, the biggest factor at Palace is Parish and Freedman, rather than any particular players.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Melbournevictory1 said:

There are plenty of young players coming through.  Palace under 21's just won the premier league international cup.   The academy is working.   Then there's the Parish factor.     So not a concern at this stage.   The new stand build starts this closed season apparently, although they've said that before.  To be honest, the biggest factor at Palace is Parish and Freedman, rather than any particular players.  

Well done on not rising to the unnecessary insult.

• Like 5

On 23/05/2024 at 23:37, Melbournevictory1 said:

Congratulations on having a well-run club. I know it hasn't always been the case at Palace.

Our supporters should be envious, instead many are sinking to the usual dumb insults. Your current state feels somewhat reminiscent of what we experienced in the 2000s.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, superniko said:

Rumours that Leeds are demanding at least £35m for Archie Gray just shows what a shitshow Venkys, Waggott and Broughton made of the Wharton sale. 

A complete disgrace and some lauded over it as great business despite the likes of Lavia going for £50m+ and Alex Scott for £23m as well as countless further examples. Beggars believe how easy some have the wool pulled over their eyes. 

Venkys Out. Waggot Out. 

Pick fair comparisons. No point comparing Lavia and Wharton. Alex Scott is a closer comparison and the fees are pretty similar.

11 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Pick fair comparisons. No point comparing Lavia and Wharton. Alex Scott is a closer comparison and the fees are pretty similar.

In what world are £18m and £25m a close comparison?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ABRAM ROVER said:

In what world are £18m and £25m a close comparison?

Because the total value of the transfer for Scott was reported to be around 25m and the total value of the transfer for Wharton is rumoured to be around 22/23m. Pretty close.

Still over 10% more best case scenario. £18m potentially rising to £22m. Potential based on what we can only guess, prem appearances, goals, international caps?? We will be fecked if he does go to Bayern on the first two. It's still poor business imo. 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, superniko said:

Rumours that Leeds are demanding at least £35m for Archie Gray 

I've literally never heard of him. I see he has played 47 league games this season for Leeds though, who are a better side than us, at the age of 18. So I can see why they'd be asking for a lot, and they have more financial power than us so can stick to their guns more comfortably. That's nearly double what we got for Wharton though. I'd be surprised if anyone pays that for a Championship midfielder, in which case it won't matter how much they demanded.

Edited by bluebruce

1 hour ago, ABRAM ROVER said:

Still over 10% more best case scenario. £18m potentially rising to £22m. Potential based on what we can only guess, prem appearances, goals, international caps?? We will be fecked if he does go to Bayern on the first two. It's still poor business imo. 

And 22m is still 14m less than what the minimum acceptable amount should have been.

Standards.

2 hours ago, Eddie said:

How is Lavia not a fair comparison? I’d say £53m for half a season in a relegated premier league side shows us exactly how we got our pants pulled down. 
Bloody Keane Lewis-Potter went for £19m!

I also had the Alex Scott example and the fact that Archie Gray will go for more (if Leeds even sell)

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

I've literally never heard of him. I see he has played 47 league games this season for Leeds though, who are a better side than us, at the age of 18. So I can see why they'd be asking for a lot, and they have more financial power than us so can stick to their guns more comfortably. That's nearly double what we got for Wharton though. I'd be surprised if anyone pays that for a Championship midfielder, in which case it won't matter how much they demanded.

he`s heavily hyped by the media,family connections and all that,did`nt strike me as that special when iv`e watched leeds this season,leeds will probably get what they are asking for,the spending in the top flight is well out of control when it comes to young players,alex scott went for 25 million ffs,he`s never going to be anything other than an ok  club player

• Like 2

Archie Gray and Alex Scott are both very talented players, its hard to make direct comparisons with them and Wharton assuming the sale is based purely on quality. Scott like Wharton has taken really comfortably to the Premier League but is more attacking so will find it much more difficult to make the England squad whereas Wharton plays in a position where England are weak. Gray has the advantage of also being versatile, but has been playing in a better team. 

But we were desperate to sell Wharton because the owners were desperate for money not to reinvest but to cover their own problems, so whilst its difficult to say x went for this amount and y went for that amount as a direct accurate comparison, it doesnt take a rocket scientist to know that selling out of desperation late in a window will not lend itself to getting a good deal.

• Like 6

Irrespective of whether or not the fee is the amount we should have got, nobody can deny a club record amount is insignificant. What is rarely acknowledged is the message it would have sent to players in the club had it been rejected.

Sure, some will (reasonably to a degree) argue a rejected bid would have shown some ambition - keep your best players etc. But the contract negotiation earlier in the season, and likely with any player but particularly the young ones, is sign with us and you have a pathway to play in the first team. Perform there and your Prem chance will come. 

If we had rejected the club record bid given we had no chance of promotion, the risk is other players don't sign on particularly if they're being monitored by prem teams. Agents won't advise Rovers as being a platform to showcase and develop talent as a stepping stone to the Prem, instead it'd be Rovers will put a block on you if you're ready to progress. Before anyone gets insulted at Rovers being a stepping stone club, that's only reflective of where the club is given the last decade or so. 

Posted (edited)

In 99 times of a 100 in cases like this the deciding factor is usually the attitude of the player. They nearly always want out. That’s were the buying club has the selling club over a barrel. In this case we are led to believe, and everything I’ve read backs this up, that the player didn’t actually want to leave.

What did the damage was that the Chicken Chokers have made such a balls up of the financial management of the club that they were in a position were they had to give away our No1 player. It doesn’t matter what the fee was because we won’t see any of it. To me they obviously took the first serious offer that came along to put some cash in the till for a month of two. They’ll do they same with Sammi, and we’ll get through for another month or two.

What happens then ? I hope they realise that the only option is to sell. I’ll really be getting pissed when the cancer that is the Chicken Chokers is cut out of the body of a Blackburn Rovers.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, superniko said:

How is Lavia not a fair comparison? I’d say £53m for half a season in a relegated premier league side shows us exactly how we got our pants pulled down. 
Bloody Keane Lewis-Potter went for £19m!

I also had the Alex Scott example and the fact that Archie Gray will go for more (if Leeds even sell)

Because Southampton paid 13/14m for Lavia from City. He was an extremely highly regarded prospect with Premier League experience.

Wharton may well ended up being the better player, but there are huge differences in their CVs at the time that they were sold.

Posted (edited)

Is Scott training with the England squad ? Is he ever likely to be ? Are Bayern breathing down his neck ? He’s just going to be an average, mid table Prem League player, that’s if he’s lucky.

Wharton, the sky is the limit.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1