BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

How identification as a Blackburn rovers fan has changed for the local Muslim Community since 2000

Hi everyone, 

First post here, so I thought I would introduce myself. My name is George and I come from a longline of Blackburn rovers fans as well as being one myself!. I am also a student  at RGS Guildford, 

I am looking for some help regarding an essay I am writing on 'How identification as a Blackburn rovers fan has changed for the local Muslim Community since the 21st centuary' . I have been struggling to connect with the local Muslim community in Blackburn in order to listen to their views.

This is a particularly personal issue for me as my family is from Blackburn (Bedford Street, Mill Hill) and  I come from a longline of Rovers fans. My grandad (may he rest in peace) was the most passionate Blackburn fan I knew. My final conversation with him was about the club and Blackburn beating Sheffield United 3-1.  My father has been following the Rovers since 1974 and I am following in his footsteps, attending games whenever possible. I am interested in how the changing demographics (Blackburn has now 2nd largest Muslim population, % ) has impacted fan identity.

I have attached a Microsoft forms ( I really hope it works!!!). Which is a questionnaire for Muslim Blackburn fans, please fill out if it applies to you or do share it to relevant people.

https://forms.office.com/Pages/ResponsePage.aspx?id=rjlL6kwO6EaVXFYqjuJ3PBYuItLAwUpKnAaWCxqMUMtUNEI4MVBWQjBRWEVFQlYzWEtBUFFDUEVHNS4u

If anyone is interested in this topic or has any relevant information, please send me an email --> george.aspden05@outlook.com. I am on a very tight deadline so I would really appreciate some quick responses.

I hope you are all having a nice evening,

George Aspden

• Like 9

Hi - firstly you mean ‘century’ not ‘centuary’. 

Secondly, as this is currently the 21st Century- you must mean ‘how things have changed since the START of the 21st Century’ or maybe ‘how things have changed since the 20th century’.

It’s a very interesting question - genuine good luck - but I would not answer a survey that had a spelling or a typo in the question. I would also be frustrated by the imprecise or erroneous use of the current century.

Best wishes. I’m sure it will come good and be an excellent essay in the end.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, George Aspden said:

Hi everyone, 

First post here, so I thought I would introduce myself. My name is George and I come from a longline of Blackburn rovers fans as well as being one myself!. I am also a student  at RGS Guildford, 

I am looking for some help regarding an essay I am writing on 'How identification as a Blackburn rovers fan has changed for the local Muslim Community since the 21st centuary' . I have been struggling to connect with the local Muslim community in Blackburn in order to listen to their views.

This is a particularly personal issue for me as my family is from Blackburn (Bedford Street, Mill Hill) and  I come from a longline of Rovers fans. My grandad (may he rest in peace) was the most passionate Blackburn fan I knew. My final conversation with him was about the club and Blackburn beating Sheffield United 3-1.  My father has been following the Rovers since 1974 and I am following in his footsteps, attending games whenever possible. I am interested in how the changing demographics (Blackburn has now 2nd largest Muslim population, % ) has impacted fan identity.

I have attached a Microsoft forms ( I really hope it works!!!). Which is a questionnaire for Muslim Blackburn fans, please fill out if it applies to you or do share it to relevant people.

https://forms.office.com/Pages/ResponsePage.aspx?id=rjlL6kwO6EaVXFYqjuJ3PBYuItLAwUpKnAaWCxqMUMtUNEI4MVBWQjBRWEVFQlYzWEtBUFFDUEVHNS4u

If anyone is interested in this topic or has any relevant information, please send me an email --> george.aspden05@outlook.com. I am on a very tight deadline so I would really appreciate some quick responses.

I hope you are all having a nice evening,

George Aspden

I’d try & contact Yasir Sufi at Rovers to help you progress this…it’s basically his job…👍🏻

IMG_3657.jpeg

• Like 4

• Herbie6590 changed the title to How identification as a Blackburn rovers fan has changed for the local Muslim Community since 2000

In my eyes there have been some improvements in attracting more non white, British fans to games in general (not necessarily just from muslim back grounds) but as you say, considering the large population of muslim,hindu , etc... People in and around Blackburn...the percentage of them actively supporting rovers is still pretty minuscule sadly.

It's always seemed the same to me in that you often see very young (primary age) British asian kids attend games with other kids their age, but for whatever reason once they get to secondary school age they turn away from rovers and start following the likes of Liverpool and man u instead

Edited by Armchair supporter supremo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

Someone needs to get over themselves. The lad is asking for help, not a lecture. 

To most people it is important that students in higher education should have a reasonable standard of written English. 

If you don’t give a shit, then fair enough.

However, there are plenty of us who do give a shit and we will absolutely judge students on their written English. That’s reality and I’m personally glad people pointed that out to me when I was a student. 

I genuinely think the essay sounds really interesting though. I wish the guy every success and I hope he produces a fantastic piece of work. I’m sure he will.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RoverInverness said:

To most people it is important that students in higher education should have a reasonable standard of written English. 

However, there are plenty of us who do give a shit and we will absolutely judge students on their written English. That’s reality and I’m personally glad people pointed that out to me when I was a student. 

I genuinely think the essay sounds really interesting though. I wish the guy every success and I hope he produces a fantastic piece of work. I’m sure he will.

Are you his tutor?

• Like 1

to put it rather bluntly,it`s a waste of time trying to entice the muslim community to ewood,it`s been tried many times but in reality they ar`nt interested,they`ll turn up for the prayers on the pitch and the other events but when it comes to support they just don`t want to know,imo,we should be trying  everything to get the polish and east european kids in shad and other areas to interact with rovers,they are all crazy about the game

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RoverInverness said:

He thinks EPL is acceptable too.  Low standards. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

to put it rather bluntly,it`s a waste of time trying to entice the muslim community to ewood,it`s been tried many times but in reality they ar`nt interested,they`ll turn up for the prayers on the pitch and the other events but when it comes to support they just don`t want to know,imo,we should be trying  everything to get the polish and east european kids in shad and other areas to interact with rovers,they are all crazy about the game

You are misguided with this view - Rovers have steadily seen more supporters from the Muslim community coming to watch games and they are well into Rovers. It’s great to see and we have a few who sit behind us and they enjoy the football and engage with other fans so long may it continue . It’s great to see that bigotry and racial hatred is not a thing at Ewood these days

• Like 7

It is absolutely pivotal for the future of the club that the pretty much half of Blackburn that has thus far taken very little interest in BRFC, for a plethora of reasons going back decades, does so going forward. In a way we are pushing against an open door as there is big interest in football within the community, just not, as yet, big interest in the Rovers.

More and more of our ST base no longer lives in the town and it is always a challenge to keep a scattered fanbase in the tent, the longer distance fan starts by not making a mid week, that turns into not making an odd weekend game, turns into no ST - we need a solid core of Blues within the town.

The community engagement the club has undertaken this past couple of years has certainly had a big impact in social and traditional media, I imagine the social media team are cockahoop with the amount of ‘impressions’, Yasir is certainly earning his corn . 

Though the proof of the pudding will be in a substantial increase of the Asian community through the gates in the short and medium term. I am certainly seeing more Asian young lads in the Blackburn End, families in the JWL than say, five years ago, but it is an improvement from a very low base.

Because as worthy (and essential) as the engagement is, it can’t exist merely so Rovers can help to bring the disparte communities of the town together or for online acclaim, as the social media bandwagon soon moves on to something else. A club’s number one aim is to win matches, as that is what ultimately improves football clubs, and larger Ewood crowds containing Blackburners from every single neighbourhood and walk of life will be a pivotal part of that.

• Like 9

I'm 'white british' and attended Beardwood HS for a time in the 2000s. 

The Muslim community was largely into cricket primarily. The ones that did like football supported Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, or United. This was also when Messi and Ronaldo were bursting onto the scenes and taking over the world. Social media was also gaining traction. People started to affiliate with players rather than clubs. I can't remember many at all who supported Blackburn.

They were first or second generation immigrants. Their history and connection with the town was yet to be properly forged still. 

The Rovers vs Man United game at Ewood a few years ago in the cup was the most South Asians I've seen at a game before. It was clear as day they were there to see United, not Rovers.

I appreciate more is now being done to integrate them into Ewood. This is all of our town, we share it with a ~40% Muslim population, so I see no reason that shouldn't also be accurately represented inside the ground. Considering we only fill about 60% of it, we've enough seats for everyone.

I genuinely believe a gem of an Indian lad rising through our academy will do wonders.

I would say football is far bigger with young Asian lads these days than cricket. Big change on that front over the past couple of decades… unfortunately it’s still a very small percentage that support Rovers.

Edited by Mattyblue

Not quite as simple as that. If these lads and I’m talking teens and up don’t even see themselves as Rovers fans, the fact a second division ST is £375 instead of £275 doesn’t really come into it.

The reason most of us are Rovers fans is because it was passed down by family, it’s a generational thing. Asian families as a rule don’t have that, so it has to be a different approach, I.e getting them young through the Ewood Express etc. Now if a 7 year old kid enjoys his match days down Ewood and does see himself as a Rovers fan then the price is an issue as I imagine suddenly asking to go with his family at these prices would be a little bit of a sticking point. 

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

Not quite as simple as that. If these lads and I’m talking teens and up don’t even see themselves as Rovers fans, the fact a second division ST is £375 instead of £275 doesn’t really come into it.

The reason most of us are Rovers fans is because it was passed down by family, it’s a generational thing. Asian families as a rule don’t have that, so it has to be a different approach, I.e getting them young through the Ewood Express etc. Now if a 7 year old kid enjoys his match days down Ewood and does see himself as a Rovers fan then the price is an issue as I imagine suddenly asking to go with his family at these prices would be a little bit of a sticking point. 

That's what I'm talking about. 

Get them in on the Ewood express. They have a good time and want to go again. Parents look at the price and think "nah, fuck that."

Again, everyone is welcome, providing you are wealthy. 

On 13/06/2023 at 22:42, RoverInverness said:

Hi - firstly you mean ‘century’ not ‘centuary’. 

Secondly, as this is currently the 21st Century- you must mean ‘how things have changed since the START of the 21st Century’ or maybe ‘how things have changed since the 20th century’.

It’s a very interesting question - genuine good luck - but I would not answer a survey that had a spelling or a typo in the question. I would also be frustrated by the imprecise or erroneous use of the current century.

Best wishes. I’m sure it will come good and be an excellent essay in the end.

Wow!

Could you have typed that in red? 

On 17/06/2023 at 07:37, Upside Down said:

That's what I'm talking about. 

Get them in on the Ewood express. They have a good time and want to go again. Parents look at the price and think "nah, fuck that."

Again, everyone is welcome, providing you are wealthy. 

Unfortunately, as someone who chats to these young people every weekday, I can confirm that the Ewood Express is seen by our kids as a 'couple-a-year' experience, something different to watching on Sky. One lad explained that he'd love to go to Ewood much more often but his family simply said no. When the Blackpool tie was re-arranged, I suggested going to watch the cup game as it was reduced prices. No go. There is no way the majority of youngsters at the minute will be able to convince adults any time soon. Retaining them for years into the future needs more than a few games. It needs shirt giveaways, more school visits by first teamers etc.

Both boys and girls of primary age are obsessed with football and only a few show even close to the same interest in cricket. That simply doesn't translate as yet to going to watch it. Playing at dinner and watching the 'big clubs' on Sky is all they see football as. You will also notice the shirts on display when youngsters are shown on Rovers twitter at half-term events at the BRIC or somewhere. White kids might have Rovers shirts but Asians there are in Messi Barcelona shirts or Utd/Liverpool.

To sum up, little steps are starting to show but another 10-20 years is needed for a real difference to be felt in terms of 1000s of fans.