BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Hull City (H) - 19/08/2023

I would like JDT to come out and explain his thought process of playing Gally, in what to me looked like a defensive left wing back position. After the performace today, I am glad I didn't renew my season ticket. I was thinking of making a week of going to Watford and Plymouth. I will now be doing my garden.

2 hours ago, Polky said:

I thought Pears did well today, but just watched the replay back and he’s well out of position.

Our defence and Pears were all caught out by the ball over the top for the winner.

Shame as we’d worked hard with ten men but it wasn’t to be.

We need some players through the door in the next few weeks or it’s going to be a long season.

Ironically there were a few of us highlighting that Pears positioning his his weak point in an otherwise reasonably steady keeper.

I first noticed this when he turned out for the U23s a few seasons ago, had a really good game but let two in where if positioned correctly he might have done better. It was also evident towards the end of last season.

Otherwise today he had a good game and the main fault of the goals was the defence or lack of it in front of him.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Uddersfelt Blue said:

Gallagher was put on to do the hard work down the left side where we were increasingly being exposed. Personally I thought he did a cracking job. 

He did a good job, for a center forward, playing at left back. But why ?

8 minutes ago, rigger said:

He did a good job, for a center forward, playing at left back. But why ?

The issue is, who else was able to play there? Brittain was struggling and needed cover, Gallagher provided that and also posed a goal threat. I actually think his performance was one of the bright spots of the game from a rovers perspective.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, ElTwis said:

The issue is, who else was able to play there? Brittain was struggling and needed cover, Gallagher provided that and also posed a goal threat. I actually think his performance was one of the bright spots of the game from a rovers perspective.

So do you think Gally should be played in a defensive wing-back role ? I would even think putting Scott wharton as left back with Brittain in front of him would have been more solid than playing Gally out of position.

Edited by rigger

5 minutes ago, rigger said:

So do you think Gally should be played in a defensive wing-back role ?

When we've been down to 10 men for an hour, the right back playing left back needs a physical presence in front of him and the other option is Markanday...yes

2 minutes ago, ElTwis said:

When we've been down to 10 men for an hour, the right back playing left back needs a physical presence in front of him and the other option is Markanday...yes

But Brittain moved inside almost like another center-half to accomadate Gally playing where he was. At no time was Gally a physical presence infront of Brittain.

1 minute ago, rigger said:

But Brittain moved inside almost like another center-half to accomadate Gally playing where he was. At no time was Gally a physical presence infront of Brittain.

You're right that this happened at points but that's even more of a reason to bring him on, it gave extra flexibility to a struggling formation. Gally added physically to a midfield being overrun by the extra man

1 minute ago, ElTwis said:

You're right that this happened at points but that's even more of a reason to bring him on, it gave extra flexibility to a struggling formation. Gally added physically to a midfield being overrun by the extra man

But not in the left-wing back position.

Today was my first game of the season and not long got home given the trek it is for me.

What really struck me was that Hull were there for the taking today. Even with 10 men I felt confident we wouldn't concede. They were savvy to a lack of pace at the back and found a way to win. Whether that's the players or Rosenior who knows. We were of course stretched as well.

I thought the lads put in a great shift under the circumstances and come out with credit for how they marshalled the game until the last 10mins, but its clear the final 3rd is way way short. No final ball, no one on the same wave length and several break away opportunities went missing because of that. That led to frustration and the customary groans from the crows.

I'd read before today that Ennis lacks the pace expected but I wasn't prepared for just how slow he was, like he was running in mud. I don't want to write him off after one live game, but I just can't see a player in there. Granted he missed pre season and has done some positive things in the last few weeks since coming into the fold but I don't think he's a pacey finisher or strong target man to tick at least one box.

Stating the obvious but this week makes or breaks the season for me. Our forward options won't get us relegated but we'll be way short of the play offs.

The other thing that really disappointed me today was the exodus as the 2nd goal went in. I think a team needs it's supporters behind it especially being a man down. I couldn't believe how quickly the place emptied. 

I walked away from the ground today sad we had lost from a winning position but it felt different. Felt like something else was missing beyond the obvious board and ownership impasse. I can't put my finger on it but it didn't feel like a club at it together.

Tomasson is probably my favourite Manager we've had in my time. Not saying he is the best tactician, or has won us most, I just think he's the perfect fit for our club. I just hope he knows some wealthy businessmen that could buy out the clowns and get the club moving again. There is such a strong foundation there, I'm amazed it doesn't carry more appeal. I know the owners previously said they wouldn't  sell but everything has a price.

• Like 5

We've blown a lot of late goals from point earning positions under JDTs relative short stint so i think the 'here we go again' is ingrained in fans minds.

There is still a lot of naivety on the pitch and in the technical area which cant always be attributed to age or inexperience.

That fuels the bitter disappointment hence the exodus.

• Backroom

I think we're walking a much more precarious tightrope in terms of forward options than people realise. As it stands we have three primary strikers - Leonard, Ennis and Gallagher. 

Leonard - 19 year old lad with barely any senior footballing experience. 

Ennis - Mainly plied his trade in League 1, remains to be seen if he can make the step up.

Gallagher - Never scored more than 8 goals in a season for us since we signed him permanently.

Of these three, Ennis is unfit and had injury problems at Plymouth. Gallagher has had various injuries keeping him out for weeks at a time. Leonard is a young lad and could also easily get injured as he's still developing.

There's a realistic propsect all three could get injured at once, and then what? Dolan up top? Hedges? Sammie? Siggy, assuming he's fit? Another youth team striker? 

And even if our actual strikers do stay fit, are any of them scoring a significant amount of goals? We surely can't expect too much from Leonard at this point in his career. Ennis is a total unknown, and Gallagher, as noted, has never been prolific.

Meanwhile our defence is far from solid, conceding goals and making errors, suggesting we won't be able to rely on grinding out 1-0 wins with the odd goal from midfield or defence.

We are desperate for reinforcements. If the window closes without at least one other striker coming in then we are taking a massive gamble. 

Edited by DE.
  • Like 6

Before over analysing the tactics I would take a look at the player resources being made available to our manager... or lack of. It's appalling and he's working miracles with some poor players that are still having to start.

We very nearly beat a team with 1 extra player 3-1 on a transfer budget of pretty much £0. We only paid a fee for 5 of our starting XI today... and not one loan player in the squad.

Hull were able to cycle through Estupinan, Delap and Connolly up front today + Twine.

They won because their £1.3m spent on a striker made the difference... sometimes that's all it takes. 

If you gave Tomasson that amount in 4 positions I think we'd go up. ST, LB, CB, RW.

Waggott and Venky's out!!

• Like 7

1 hour ago, rigger said:

I would like JDT to come out and explain his thought process of playing Gally, in what to me looked like a defensive left wing back position. After the performace today, I am glad I didn't renew my season ticket. I was thinking of making a week of going to Watford and Plymouth. I will now be doing my garden.

He didn't, he played him as an AML.

He was also tasked with following their RB who played as a RW most of the 2nd half.

We had 10 men. They were trying to overload down the wings. Gally and Hedges had to work like Trojans. 

• Like 6

6 hours ago, DE. said:

Just to be clear, direct personal attacks aren't allowed even if you strongly disagree with a poster's opinion. 

I assume this was aimed at me, and fair enough.

But in my defence, certain posters posting the same nonsensical opinion day after day, which is calmly discredited each and every time, becomes extremely tiring. Especially after a defeat.

That person's comment, knowing that most disagree with them, can only be considered bait, particularly when it comes with a childish "Greg the egg" quip, and deserves be called out for exactly what it is... Utter bollocks.

Edited by XLM

• Backroom
7 minutes ago, XLM said:

I assume this was aimed at me, and fair enough.

But in my defence, certain posters posting the same nonsensical opinion day after day, which is calmly discredited each and every time, becomes extremely tiring. Especially after a defeat.

That person's comment, knowing that most disagree with them, can only be considered bait, particularly when it comes with a childish "Greg the egg" quip, and deserves be called out for exactly what it is... Utter bollocks.

Not just you, there was a lot of aggy posts and it's depressing enough after a defeat without having to clear up a thread with our own fans having a go at each other.

I get that people's opinions can be frustrating, especially if they're repeated, but I'd suggest the ignore feature or just scrolling past. Bait is only worth anything if people rise to it. 

• Like 1

We were undone by 3 long balls over the top that we didn’t seem to know what to do with - 1 for the red card and 2 for each of the goals. 

Every season we seem to always have some glaring weaknesses and oppositions have no problem exploiting them. 

7 hours ago, tomphil said:

We've blown a lot of late goals from point earning positions under JDTs relative short stint so i think the 'here we go again' is ingrained in fans minds.

There is still a lot of naivety on the pitch and in the technical area which cant always be attributed to age or inexperience.

That fuels the bitter disappointment hence the exodus.

You watch any other ground, if the away side take a late lead, the ground empties. I don’t understand it myself, you need to carry on supporting the team, as they then need it more than ever.

But that’s football fans.

• Like 1