BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Hull City (H) - 19/08/2023

1 hour ago, ItsRoverZ said:

Hyam seems to be another one that's started the season poorly. Looks a little clumsy at times now. Also people were saying he stuck his finger up at JDT during a note exchange? What's the about?

No, I had to watch on telly today (work commitments).

When the note reached Hyam, he was holding 3 fingers up and telling the other defenders that they would play with 3 CBs at various points of play.

He didn't even appear to look in JDT's direction (the note was passed from player to player).

• Like 4

• Backroom
1 minute ago, Andy said:

No, I had to watch on telly today (work commitments).

When the note reached Hyam, he was holding 3 fingers up and telling the other defenders that they would play with 3 CBs at various points of play.

He didn't even appear to look in JDT's direction (the note was passed from player to player).

You sure it wasn't a signing being revealed? 

• Like 5

55 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

Hedges was excellent until the final ball. Same old. 

That's the problem with Hedges - he's a tidy player until it comes to the final ball (pass or shoot) and then he's terrible. 

He's a very useful squad player, but god help you if he starts every week.

I took one look at the team sheets and lumped on Hull.

The side that started the game for us today is more than capable of gettin in a relegation scrap.

Pickerings pathetic athletic ability is always a danger. 

We are going nowhere

JRC looked drunk today, all over the place, couldn’t control the ball, shooting laughable. 

Edited by Fraserkirky
  • Like 1

• Backroom

Concerning to me that we haven't kept a clean sheet in our first three games (four if you count the cup). With our distinct lack of firepower we need a steady defence, clean sheets are vital. Ipswich sit top having only scored 5 goals in their first 3 games, but crucially they've only conceded 1. 

Edited by DE.
  • Like 3

My opinion on the game and performance(without reading any comments or watching any replays.) I thought we were very good today even with 10 men. We managed the game very well until they scored. Pears made 2 good saves in the first half. We still tried to play our attacking game in the first half. I was happy overall with the performance of the team. 

I was surprised how quickly JDT made 2 subs second half. Clearly not happy and I don't think Szmodics was happy going off. Felt sorry for Young Leonard today. Playing up front on his own isn't easy when you down a man. Ennis and Gallagher played well today and Ennis could have 2 today. Gallagher took his goal well. He worked hard as we know you get with him. 

disappointed to be beaten by 2 very simple long passes today for their goals. 

Would like to see the 3 penalty appeals back. No complains about the Pickering sent off. Thought the ref was weak today. 

Overall I am happy with the performance today. 

We will get top 6 if we signed 4 quality players before the deadline that JDT wants. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

watford ar`nt exactly ripping it up and plymouth don`t exactly get you trembling in fear,with a few additions(i hope)we`ll be fine and pushing for the play offs,with 11 men,we would have won today

They are just the kind of games we lose neither are easy on their home patch, we never get much at Watford and Plymouth will surprise a few this season. Crowd behind them playing at their highest level for a long time they'll be looking at us as a winnable one for sure.

I'd be more confident if we were at home next week.

Took my two lads today and given the littlest is essentially feral we had to be on the front row to give him some room, good for him but not great for viewing angle. As a result I've had to watch back a couple of key moments:

Red card is as it looked livetime, Pickering mistake followed by a lack of pace to recover. No issue with the red.

Gallagher goal was well taken. As others have alluded to, he played really well and Brittain was a better player for having the cover on the left.

Both Hull goals were as results of straight balls that hadn't been played in the first 80 mins, we just couldn't adjust to a different tactic.

Ennis hitting the post looked more impressive at the ground, actually on watching back he's scuffed his shot a little. That said, he added some energy that had been missing.

Leonard isn't ready for regular 90 first team games sadly. At one point JDT was absolutely fuming at him for something he wasn't doing right.

Brittain always looks sad. 

Travis was fine but probably nothing more.

Pears made 2 cracking saves but should have done better for the goals. First went straight through him and the second his positioning is so odd, he doesn't close down the angles or pressure the attacker but also doesn't give himself chance to react and as a result it was an easy finish.

Decent performance in terms of 80+mins with 10 men, no-one can criticise the work rate but we need to improve at both ends of the pitch quality wise

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

That sentence alone proves you weren't at Ewood today. 

I didn't say I was and I didn't need to be to make those general comments about the players concerned or, IMO, the ownership / executive mangement state of abyss.

I have seen the highlights and it was clearly combination stuff from Pickering and, IMO, Pears not convincing on either goal - Kaminski would have made the save for the first goal and would have been far more decisive for the second goal instead of being hopelessly stranded. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Angry_Pirate said:

Hyam and Carter are both 10 yards inside the Hull half when the keeper kicks it, and this left Pickering in a dreadful situation (which he mucked up epically!) as Delap could start the run from his own half.

No idea what our CB tactic was today.

cos the Hull forwards went closer to the goal kicks leaving space in behind for their wingers. Hyam and Carter followed their correct players 

Said I wouldn’t post whilst away but long story short is that if Gregg and Venky’s had provided the manager with a semi capable number 9 we’d have won all 3 games this season.

Until he delivers on that front, Broughton’s appointment has been a failure.

It's a game where very little is learned really, I thought the spirit and effort was very good and think we deserved a point. The spirit was a huge plus point last year too.

I thought the defence looked very poor and if the long ball over the top gets that reaction every game we will have some very tough afternoons.

I've spent too many hours moaning about bringing in reinforcements, as have many others (see the transfer thread!!!!!). If we don't bring in some help we will be burnt out by November.

So disappointing after defending well for so long with 10 men. Then taking the lead only to lose to 2 well worked goals when the defence and midfield had started thinking we could redeem Pickering's sending off. 

This is a decent Hull team but, like Rovers, lack that cutting edge. With 11 men I’m pretty sure we wouldn’t have lost. 

The players worked their socks off and deservedly got a round of applause at the end. With a couple of additions in the right positions we don’t have anything to worry about. 

Observations on some players.

Dolan - spent most of his time on the pitch adjusting his hair. He’s not worth a start.

Leonard - we can’t afford to start him every game

Hedges - best game for a while, works hard, just wish he could be a bit cleverer when crossing

Travis - kept the team going against the odds. A good captain’s performance

Szmodics - didn’t feel he should have been subbed. Please don’t ever throw a Rovers shirt to the floor again. 

Gallagher - worth a start. Changed the game

Ennis - doesn’t look fit but did everything that Leonard didn’t. Unlucky not to score

Pickering - what else can I say. Brittain looked like he’s nicked your left back spot

I thought Pears did well today, but just watched the replay back and he’s well out of position.

Our defence and Pears were all caught out by the ball over the top for the winner.

Shame as we’d worked hard with ten men but it wasn’t to be.

We need some players through the door in the next few weeks or it’s going to be a long season.

Three bits of shocking defending for the red card and both goals.

Just punts downfield nothing special and the defence all over the place. Got to improve on that, especially conceding two at Rotherham last week as well.

we looked a lot better when Gally and Ennis came on.

Brilliant effort undone by players we thought excellent - Hyam and JRC - having stinkers and going awol at crucial moments. I’ve been bothered for a while that Hyam, the senior defender and supposed captain material, seems to do no organizing whatsoever, I think we miss Ayala and even Lenihan in that regard. 

Am I the only person disappointed Gallagher didn’t put his 1-on-1 away? Typical Sam I thought, didn’t outmuscle the defender enough, so didn’t have the ball or himself under full control making the shot hopeful rather than clinical. Ennis should’ve scored his but I thought the pass a bit heavy (like quite a few of Wharton’s today) which turned a tap-in into something a bit more difficult.

To be fair to Hull, I thought the finish for the first goal terrific, first time volley from a ball coming over the shoulder - none of ours could’ve pulled that off.

Pears was out of his penalty area clearing balls covering for Hyam and Carter several times. Far too often they didn't deal with the simple ball over the top. I thought it was a deliberate tactic by Rosenoir to draw our centre halves high up the pitch and knock it over them. There is plenty of work for Tomasson and his staff to do with them two this week. Both were extremely naive.

• Like 6

• Backroom
Just now, arbitro said:

Pears was out of his penalty area clearing balls covering for Hyam and Carter several times. Far too often they didn't deal with the simple ball over the top. I thought it was a deliberate tactic by Rosenoir to draw our centre halves high up the pitch and knock it over them. There is plenty of work for Tomasson and his staff to do with them two this week. Both were extremely naive.

It would be worrying if the players aren't being trained to deal with this kind of tactic, as for many clubs in this division it's standard. It should be something we're well-drilled to combat already. Granted today it didn't look like it.