BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Blackburn Rovers Women

28 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

What a great goal. Looks to be a good standard of football.

I saw us beat Sheffield United recently and we enjoyed it that much we are going to the games against Palace and Charlton. There is a two for one offer on these games and I would recommend anybody to give it a try.

And by the way this is from someone who has derided the standard of women's football previously.

• Like 1

So as a few have already mentioned on this thread, Rovers Women are currently top of the Championship and face Palace on Sunday at 2pm. Would be really great to see as many as possible at Ewood supporting Rovers Women as I definitely think every extra person who attends the match and supports the team would make a difference to the players (see the Rovers Women Palace preview interview with Thomas posted on @roverswfc yesterday to see what I mean) and they are currently playing meaningful football at the top of the table..

I think the ticket prices are great value. Basically they are too cheap and I don't often call things too cheap:

£8 adults,

£6 seniors,

£4 12-17

£2 Under 12s.   

image.thumb.png.9e983527363aeb8634fdc049a03c6093.png

As others have mentioned, the standard in the division has gone up dramatically in the last season probably because most teams are now full time. Rovers are not one of them yet but I understand they now have all (or definitely most) of their practices through the day now rather than in the evenings. So it is fair to say Rovers are doing amazingly well so far this season. 

Although names some might recognise like Jordan and Fenton left in the summer. Murphy (on loan to Rovers last season, won Championship Player Of The Month in November and signed permanently in the summer) hasn't played yet this season. Also we have hired a coach that took Lewes to a 5th-placed finish (high for their limited resources) and who wants to play a more technical style. He has said in interviews that currently he is still implementing his style, we are seeing flashes of it in the goals v Birmingham and Lewes but we are also defending well and it's currently paying off (so kind of like where the men were with JDT at the start of last season). So reasons for optimism that even though we are currently top, the best might be yet to come.

In terms of players, the headline signing was that of Tyler Toland, a combative but technical 6. She had an international debut at age 16, ever-present for Ireland for two years and joined Man City but then Vera Pauw took over for Ireland and dropped her. Pauw was recently fired, Toland returned to the starting line up and got Player of the Match. For those that read The Athletic, Caoimhe O'Neill did an article on her about it and there are also various articles in Irish papers.

We have made other signings (like Georgia Walters in her second spell with the club, appointed Vice Captain in a young side and we are seeing the best of her) and loans. Also existing players like Hornby and the Captain Richards are stepping up too. So would be great if as many as possible could be there tomorrow. If anyone thinks this isn't for them, fair enough but maybe they could mention it to someone else they know who might enjoy it (and maybe might not even have been to Ewood before). To me, this team deserves more than a 1k crowd for tomorrow's match when you consider Sheff Utd managed to get 11k to Bramall Lane last season and Norwich City got almost 5k in the fourth tier v Cambridge last month.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

In what way are they too cheap if only 800-1000 or so are attending at those prices? A fair market value, no?

It's a fair question. A starting point is that the women's game in the past has tried free tickets but that didn't work because people didn't value them so there was no consequence to having the tickets then not turning up (sell outs in big stadiums announced but then the crowds on the day end up being much lower).

There is then a fair argument that once there is a cost to a ticket that demand then drives the cost.

Now I am just  layman when it comes to marketing but there is also the idea that the value of the ticket suggests the quality of the product and so if people only think they're only going to get £8 of football, they won't bother going. That's kind of where I'm coming from.

I think the club see it as demand drives the cost and here we are. I mean it is great value, so take advantage of it.

I think as Rovers have usually been in the bottom half over the last few seasons, it's not been the time to push for more fans to consider attending. Now others are noticing the standard going up and as Rovers Women have a top of the table clash, I thought it was worth mentioning because from what little info is out there about fans from men's teams that also follow women's teams and applying that to our core men's support, 1,500-2,000 should be achievable for a big top of the table game like today.

I think the club have put an effort in to making the Ewood games an event but the marketing always seems to be at families and young girls being the generation. Which is great but it misses supporters that won't reach and who might still enjoy the games.

This is all before touching on those that might become standalone Rovers Women supporters but that is a different conversation.

1 hour ago, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

Went to the Lewes game last week (despite clashing with the Leicester match on Sky). Great day out and much healthier atmosphere than the men’s game. Ideal for families with young kids. Definitely recommend to those that haven’t been to a women’s game before.

I committed to going to the first game Rovers Women had in this division a few seasons ago and it ended up being away v Lewes. We made a weekend of it, the sun was out and it's a great little ground with lots of character (The Dripping Pan) as it's got beach huts you can watch the game from and the club are very strong on their community values. I mean we got whooped in the game but beyond that, it was a fun day.

It’s a fair price. As an example Rovers have to price League Cup ties far cheaper than a Championship game as even fewer folk would turn out in comparison to a league game than they do already. Women’s football isn’t seen as a top rank product either, that may change, but it is still semi pro at this level at the end of the day.

Yes, it means the Women’s team ‘can’t wash its face’ and is subsided by the wider club, but then again the club as a whole can’t wash said face anyway without Sky/Venky backing.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Darmond said:

I committed to going to the first game Rovers Women had in this division a few seasons ago and it ended up being away v Lewes. We made a weekend of it, the sun was out and it's a great little ground with lots of character (The Dripping Pan) as it's got beach huts you can watch the game from and the club are very strong on their community values. I mean we got whooped in the game but beyond that, it was a fun day.

August '19? I was there too with a friend who lives down that way. Lovely ground and Harvey's ales on tap were upsides to a rather depressing 5-1 loss; but thankfully it wasn't too much of an indicator of the coming years!

I have since seen the Ladies/Women a few times since and hope to be up at Leyland next week. I must admit I find it a bit hard to get drawn to the fixtures played at Ewood, Bramall Lane, Madejski etc. whilst attendances don't necessarily justify it - much more engaging and atmospheric when you're packed into the smaller venues I find (see Bamber Bridge, Durham, Lewes, Palace before moving to Sutton etc.). 

Four has been a common theme this weekend as we scored four and the Dingles and Nobbers conceded four. Unfortunately Rovers Women conceded four in a fully deserved defeat to Palace. After seeing them for the first time a few weeks ago I was looking for a performance similar to that game but in truth we were poor. There was no fluency or pace in our game and the disappointed body language towards the end was telling. There is another home game next Sunday against Charlton and a chance to put this behind them.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry if discussed before, but am late to see the news that the top tiers of women's game will be, I think, handed on from The FA to a new entity called Newco. I know very little about this and just wondered what others thought or knew. I saw that an official from Rovers were positive about the news.

A recent Guardian article by Suzanne Wrack sounds a note of warning that it could fuel increased financial inequality between leagues. https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2023/sep/18/wsl-plan-womens-super-league-football

Edited by riverholmes

6 minutes ago, riverholmes said:

Sorry if discussed before, but am late to see the news that the top tiers of women's game will be, I think, handed on from The FA to a new entity called Newco. I know very little about this and just wondered what others thought or knew. I saw that an official from Rovers were positive about the news.

A recent Guardian article by Suzanne Wrack sounds a note of warning that it could fuel increased financial inequality between leagues. https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2023/sep/18/wsl-plan-womens-super-league-football

A £billion league sounds very very ambitious.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

So Rovers Women are playing at Ewood tomorrow v Southampton, kick off at 2pm. 

They are aiming for a record crowd and seeing as the previous record was about 1,100, ticket sales suggest it will easily be beaten tomorrow as per the Rovers WFC Insta. So if you want to support the Women and be a part of what is likely to be a record-breaking crowd, come on down.

As part of the work towards a record attendance, the hospitality is at a lower price than normal in case you fancy giving that a go as an alternative.

Rovers recently won 2-1 at Ewood in a recent Monday night game v Lewes. Currently unbeaten in 3 games and comfortably mid-table, they face a Southampton side currently in the promotion race (Southampton currently sit third and the top four only have one point between them).  

image.png.b6a364b6eeb6add40db1fbba322a960f.png

• Like 5

Ended up being a great game today. Rovers were missing a couple of important players but managed to score a couple of great goals early on and then hang on for the win on a sunny day at Ewood in front of a record crowd.

That win means they have broken their record for most points scored in a Championship season and there are still four games to go against teams either below or level with them.

Next home game is against Reading on Sunday, April 14th at Ewood.

• Like 5

As a big advocate of women's football, this is fantastic- what was the eventual attendance btw?

Couldn't make it today as my daughter was playing, but a stone's throw from the Wham stadium.

2-1 down at HT, she came on & with 2 assists they won 4-2 to take them back top of the league with 3 games on hand (weather related)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Darmond said:

Ended up being a great game today. Rovers were missing a couple of important players but managed to score a couple of great goals early on and then hang on for the win on a sunny day at Ewood in front of a record crowd.

That win means they have broken their record for most points scored in a Championship season and there are still four games to go against teams either below or level with them.

Next home game is against Reading on Sunday, April 14th at Ewood.

What was the attendance?

9 hours ago, damo100 said:

What was the attendance?

1,591. Not sure how that relates to the post above stating that they had sold 1,800 tickets. Still a record attendance though.

I went to a women's game for the first time yesterday and had a thoroughly good time. Rovers put away two good goals very early on and were then defending for most of the rest of the game. It was a novelty to see a Rovers player at Ewood just completely beat the Southampton defence for pace for the first goal - not a sight we have seen for a while with the men's team.

The front two were lively and the defence very solid but midfield were mostly run over. Hence Southampton had most of the ball but did very little with it apart from a period in the second half when Alex Brooks pulled off a few excellent saves to keep Rovers in front.

• Like 7