BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Blackburn Rovers Women

Alex Brooks won FAWC November Player of the Month with Elise Hughes coming second. 

There were 1,747 votes in total & the Rovers players got 75% (1,310) between them.

Rovers Ladies are away to Sheff Utd tomorrow (Sunday) at 2pm. The game will be streamed live on the FA Player.

faplayer.thefa.com

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

OK. Confession time. Today marks the first time I've walked early from a Rovers game since K**n.

I popped down Ewood to show willing and the family area was full with families and young girls. Brilliant. Get them hooked and you love to see it. New people too by the number of them with no clue about how to get to a seat or even no alcohol in the seats.

They seemed to be enjoying themselves and every save by our keeper or near-miss pass was applauded.

GOD THE STANDARD WAS EMBARRASSING!!!

I'm not talking about pace or stength or direct ability comparisons with the men. It was genuinely like primary school children swinging their foot at the ball and kicking it against someone else's shins a yard away or missing the ball entirely. Sheff Utd's many chances ended in a weak pass/shot to the centre of the goal which the goalkeeper bent down to pick up. Our goal came from their defender missing the ball when trying to head it. 45 minutes was enough. I couldn't stand another half of such garbage when in truth I didn't really care. Probably me in the wrong but this felt like a team in blue and white calling themselves Blackburn Rovers but, deep down, I knew they weren't.

I really wanted to enjoy myself and support them, I really did. Oh well, back to Ewood for the coach on Tuesday evening...

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Riverside under the drip said:

OK. Confession time. Today marks the first time I've walked early from a Rovers game since K**n.

I popped down Ewood to show willing and the family area was full with families and young girls. Brilliant. Get them hooked and you love to see it. New people too by the number of them with no clue about how to get to a seat or even no alcohol in the seats.

They seemed to be enjoying themselves and every save by our keeper or near-miss pass was applauded.

I'm not talking about pace or stength or direct ability comparisons with the men. It was genuinely like primary school children swinging their foot at the ball and kicking it against someone else's shins a yard away or missing the ball entirely. Sheff Utd's many chances ended in a weak pass/shot to the centre of the goal which the goalkeeper bent down to pick up. Our goal came from their defender missing the ball when trying to head it. 45 minutes was enough. I couldn't stand another half of such garbage when in truth I didn't really care. Probably me in the wrong but this felt like a team in blue and white calling themselves Blackburn Rovers but, deep down, I knew they weren't.

I really wanted to enjoy myself and support them, I really did. Oh well, back to Ewood for the coach on Tuesday evening...

What was the attendance? Surely a bumper crowd with tickets priced from as little as £2. Particularly following the massive publicity and achievement of the national side this summer.

Just now, Colt Seavers said:

What was the attendance? Surely a bumper crowd with tickets priced from as little as £2. Particularly following the massive publicity and achievement of the national side this summer.

I left early so didn't hear the attendance but the family area was full. No other stands open.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Riverside under the drip said:

I'm sure the club and ladies in particular will thank you for this or so unnecessary dig at them.

Poor post. 

Edited by damo100
  • Like 3

I'm sure I stated my own opinion was not shared by the many who loved today. I was pleased to see so many kids having what looked like their first taste of Ewood. I just wasn't entertained, that's all. There are many films I am not interested in as I think the acting/writing is terrible. Some songs just don't appeal. I also don't like mayonnaise. One man's opinion can be safely ignored. I am still entitled to it.

Unnecessary would be:

"I'm not going to consider attending today because I think all women's football is pointless."

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, damo100 said:

I'm sure the club and ladies in particular will thank you for this or so unnecessary dig at them.

Poor post. 

I didn't take Riversides post as a dig, just an opinion. Anyhow, what as the final score ?

Edited by rigger

1 hour ago, Riverside under the drip said:

I'm sure I stated my own opinion was not shared by the many who loved today. I was pleased to see so many kids having what looked like their first taste of Ewood. I just wasn't entertained, that's all. There are many films I am not interested in as I think the acting/writing is terrible. Some songs just don't appeal. I also don't like mayonnaise. One man's opinion can be safely ignored. I am still entitled to it.

Unnecessary would be:

"I'm not going to consider attending today because I think all women's football is pointless."

I'm sure Gemma Donnelly and her players wouldn't agree.

At a time when ladies football is on the rise following the magnificent achievements of the Lionesses who incidentally had 3 ex Rovers players representing them it's not s helpful post for either staff ir fans of the club.

It was an unnecessary post due to devaluing the ladies game at a time when there's bigger interest and admiration. 

Your post ridiculed them and in my opinion you should have kept it to yourself.

Edited by damo100
  • Like 5

• Herbie6590 changed the title to Blackburn Rovers Ladies
16 minutes ago, lraC said:

The big worry for me on this is the wear on the pitch. Are all games to be staged at Ewood? Call me a traditionalist, but I cannot get excited at womens football. 

No it was a one off.

They play home matches at Bamber Bridge. 

46 minutes ago, damo100 said:

I'm sure Gemma Donnelly and her players wouldn't agree.

At a time when ladies football is on the rise following the magnificent achievements of the Lionesses who incidentally had 3 ex Rovers players representing them it's not s helpful post for either staff ir fans of the club.

It was an unnecessary post due to devaluing the ladies game at a time when there's bigger interest and admiration. 

Your post ridiculed them and in my opinion you should have kept it to yourself.

Was Riversides original post accurate, as to the level of skill ?

• Backroom

I really enjoyed it, as did my daughter, Sheffield United the better team but a battling win for Rovers who showed a lot more steel than their male counterparts yesterday 

Stand out for me was Niamh Murphy who came on at the hour and looked the best player on the pitch 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, damo100 said:

You could also say it was leaning on being sexist and disrespectful. 

But was it true, that is what I want to know. It is your opinion, that it may be sexist and disrespectful. I would say, that it would be sexist and disrespectful, only if it turned out not to be true. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

I suppose if absolute standard of play is one’s only yardstick then one would never watch a kids game or one’s local pub or Darwen or…yet some do and really enjoy it. 

Personally, I can get invested in games at any level if they are evenly matched and all trying their best. Some of my most enjoyable moments were when I coached my next door neighbour’s women’s team: most were novices but two or three could play, one better than I ever was. While moments of skill were few and far between, the effort, enthusiasm, team spirit and improvement over time were what I enjoyed. There’s far more to footy than skill.

Good points. Absolutely couldn't fault the desire that's for certain.

Just to clarify, I'm not some misogynistic dinosaur who despises the women's game. I enjoyed watching the England women's team far more than their male counterparts and the passion, sporting ethos and technical ability were there for all to see this summer. Just couldn't get enthused by this game so preferred to go home and watch Newcastle/City.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Riverside under the drip said:

Good points. Absolutely couldn't fault the desire that's for certain.

Just to clarify, I'm not some misogynistic dinosaur who despises the women's game. I enjoyed watching the England women's team far more than their male counterparts and the passion, sporting ethos and technical ability were there for all to see this summer. Just couldn't get enthused by this game so preferred to go home and watch Newcastle/City.

Each to their own. Personally I find watching two oil states’ playthings less compelling than Subbuteo. The only thing the ladies were lacking - skill - is the only thing City and Newcastle have.

Edited by Exiled in Toronto