BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Gregg Broughton

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

Dack had been out injured for 2 years basically and as he has shown since he is not a Championship level player (probably not even League 1 now sadly) and I think it is fair to say we found a better player in Szmodics. Ayala was injury prone, overpaid and well past his best as has been shown by the fact that the might of Rotherham released him this season.

But Brereton was never going to sign a contract and be here beyond the end of it. And the decision to lose him for nothing rather than sold for a fee I suspect went above Broughton. 

None of that speaks for the experience they brought to the team 

Ayala was a very experienced head. Twice the player McFadzean is. We lost that influence in the dressing room and never replaced him 

Same with Dack. It was clear he was a big player in the dressing room and is sorely missed

Within a quick space of time we went from having a nice balanced team with youth and experience in equal measure, to a team sorely lacking in leadership. Nevertheless, JDT made that team purr at times. Mowbray left this club in a good state. Within two years that lot let it go to waste whilst also driving out the best manager we’ve had in an awful long time 

Edited by Dreams of 1995

We finished 8th the season before, had a goalscorer we could have sold that summer, £10-15m from Armstrong the summer prior and some younger players he had brought through. So it was healthy and night and day from what he inherited.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Ayala was a very experienced head. Twice the player McFadzean is. We lost that influence in the dressing room and never replaced him 

He got released before the season ended by a team that accumulated 27 points in this seasons Championship after getting 2 red cards in 7 appearances. And why did he only play 7 games because like he was for the majority of the time at Rovers he was injured.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, DuffsLeftPeg said:

Also this is the biggest load of nonsense I’ve seen on this messageboard in a while. Up there with Chaddy levels of delusion!

Okay but you’ve just beaten it with this 

Tony Mowbray did a brilliant job as Rovers manager. We were very close to capitalising on that by bringing in a better more ambitious younger coach. I don’t think it can be denied that Mowbray set the foundations for that season under JDT

Anyway, football is obviously a game of opinions. You are allowed yours I suppose 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Okay but you’ve just beaten it with this 

Tony Mowbray did a brilliant job as Rovers manager. We were very close to capitalising on that by bringing in a better more ambitious younger coach. I don’t think it can be denied that Mowbray set the foundations for that season under JDT

Anyway, football is obviously a game of opinions. You are allowed yours I suppose 

you really think mowbray would have put adam wharton in the side without loaning him out 3 times cos he was`nt a man!!!

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

We finished 8th the season before, had a goalscorer we could have sold that summer, £10-15m from Armstrong the summer prior and some younger players he had brought through. So it was healthy and night and day from what he inherited.

Finished 8th after being a strong 2nd due to a ludicrously awful freefall, meaning we were in terrible form. 10-15 million we couldn't really spend, younger players the academy had brought through. Rothwell, Lenihan and Nyambe leaving for free (that's not necessarily his fault though, but the club wasn't in great shape...I was predicting a relegation fight was possible).

Edited by bluebruce
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, DuffsLeftPeg said:

Just seen the shambolic club “statement”

What an absolute embarrassment this club is

IMG_5666.jpeg

The one about GB a couple of days ago? It's the shortest statement about a high-ranking person at the club leaving that I've ever seen. I'm certain that's because he and Swag had come to hate each other. GB thanked every person at the club except the CEO, so Maggott insisting GB got the bare minimum for a club statement is no surprise. God I want him gone.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, simongarnerisgod said:

you really think mowbray would have put adam wharton in the side without loaning him out 3 times cos he was`nt a man!!!

He played Buckley regularly for years and got form from him since unrepeated and he fits the same physical profile.

1 hour ago, bluebruce said:

Finished 8th after being a strong 2nd due to a ludicrously awful freefall, meaning we were in terrible form. 10-15 million we couldn't really spend, younger players the academy had brought through. Rothwell, Lenihan and Nyambe leaving for free (that's not necessarily his fault though, but the club wasn't in great shape...I was predicting a relegation fight was possible).

It was time to go but we saw in the following season under Tomasson a similar fall, not quite as drastic but we still went from comfortably in the top 6 for ages having been in the top 2 before tumbling just outside. I think both did a good job but small squads not strengthened in January saw to our chances twice.

Ultimately the state this club is ever in is massively hindered because of the owners. But Tomasson inherited a squad with a big sellable asset of a goalscorer, the club was considerably better off financially post Armstrong sale (sadly like with everyone it vanished) and there were still some good Championship players beyond that.

Regarding the academy players, like with Tomasson, they both did well in bedding in and improving the players in the first team but due to the owners we have to rely too much on them.

• Like 1

I honestly didn’t think it was a matter for debate that Mowbray left this club better than he found it 

It was time to go, for sure. He showed his limitations and you felt we had reached that glass ceiling. But he did well for Rovers and I’ll always remember him fondly 

• Like 7
  • Downvote 1

11 hours ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

I honestly didn’t think it was a matter for debate that Mowbray left this club better than he found it 

It was time to go, for sure. He showed his limitations and you felt we had reached that glass ceiling. But he did well for Rovers and I’ll always remember him fondly 

Difference of opinion but I certainly don’t look back fondly towards that dour faced dinosaur

It was under Mowbray that the mediocrity really set in at Rovers and some of his players are still here now, hanging around like a bad smell because the club has no ambition to improve on them.

Pears, Pickering, Buckley, Travis, Dolan, Gallagher, Hedges, Markanday - all will feature heavily in the first team squad next season. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, tomphil said:

What familiar face could replace Broughton seeing as we haven't had a DoF before ?

Looks like the old Tugay rumour is still doing the rounds.

Steve Hitchen

Ian Pearce(currently WBA DoF

Gary Bowyer

Mark Bowen(Reading DoF)