BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Gregg Broughton

Ultimately as good as it is to come out and speak like this, and it certainly is. I have always felt that the ire has been disproportionately aimed closer to home than it should.

Broughton seems like a decent appointment, his transfer record at the moment probably isn't noticeably any better than Mowbray's but I don't necessarily think even over the last 5 or 6 years that recruitment has been that bad, its had some big successes and some duds. Broughton has had his success in the permanent market with 2 good signings and an average one last summer, really poor use of loans, and hopefully that success rate will improve with the flexibility of the work permit changes. 

I found the interview to be deeply worrying because as much as good as Broughton does, its small fry to the damage caused out in India. A mid summer slashing of 15% of the wage budget is massive, as well as a demand to get £5m in. Also seemingly no real understanding of what the problems are, and if and when they will be resolved. Wharton will likely be off in a year or two, add in the Raya money, we SHOULD then have some to reinvest but I take zero confidence that we will. 

It's just not a sustainable way to run the football club. Hopefully the business done this summer will turn out to boost the team, but we couldn't get what we needed and wanted because of the further slashing of budgets. 

• Like 5

Listening to interviews, and reading LET articles points to note.

1. Budget was slashed by 15% and £5 million was needed to aid cash flow (this was exactly as I posted , and denied by others.

2. He suggest Buckley exit was to play games, which is the opposite to what JDT said. JDT stated it was to free up wages for another signing and he wanted to keep him. (So one ain't telling the facts?)

3. He mentions the Raya money but suggest the club was not reliant on it, so why mention it? That £5million now would of had big baring imo. The suggestion is now we will see it over 3 years when deal goes through.

4. Phillips was always going, and got the best they could. They could of got more if he had played more and that conversation happened, but agreed collectively to play the best 11 rather than play Phillips.

5. Final transfer was a loan but budget wouldn't stretch to it.

6. No knowledge of if/when the Venkys financial/government issues will come to an end, but expects it all to come out publically in the wash.

7. He is happy with window given constraints and feels although it slowed down, they met their objectives.

On the whole, he did the best be could with both hands and feet tied and fair play for sticking around to do so.  It can't have been easy to change horses mid June, and regardless of Vs issues at home. They seriously let this club down this summer and those holding the Fort.

• Like 8

8 minutes ago, glen9mullan said:

2. He suggest Buckley exit was to play games, which is the opposite to what JDT said. JDT stated it was to free up wages for another signing and he wanted to keep him. (So one ain't telling the facts?)

Gregg came to the Fans Forum on Monday night. He spoke about the feeling that the squad had one too many midfielders in. Alongside that John Buckley had fallen down the pecking order a bit and was keen for a loan move to get some game time. So effectively I think it was a bit of both.

Edited by only2garners
Clarity
  • Like 5

He speaks really well and really clearly, like everything about how he communicates. But in terms of how good he is at the job we dont really know until Ennis, Sigurdsson, Moran, Wahlstedt, Tronstad, Telalovic and Hill have racked up some proper game time.

He could be a genius, he could be bang average. We just have no idea.

• Like 1

I think he talked really well, but there is still considerable uncertainty. As far as I'm concerned, if the downsizing continues and we continue to need to make cutbacks, it will end in one way and that's relegation. This isn't me being pessimistic, but when you constantly make savings you are one decision away from failure, whether it be a poor manager or a replacement not being up to it. That won't happen when JDT is manager, but as we saw when Coyle came in (after a couple of summers of inept recruitment), it can come quickly. 

I do feel GB is doing the best job he can under the circumstances but we are relying on him pulling rabbits out of the hat currently. 

• Like 2

With regards to the Buckley loan, Tomasson and Broughton are telling different stories.  Both cannot be true. And as Tomasson has always been brutally honest in everything he says, I know which one I believe.

Broughton is evidently spinning a yarn about Buckley, so why believe anything else he says? 

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, only2garners said:

Gregg came to the Fans Forum on Monday night. He spoke about the feeling that the squad had one too many midfielders in. Alongside that John Buckley had fallen down the pecking order a bit and was keen for a loan move to get some game time. So effectively I think it was a bit of both.

JDT Feels differently though, he feels we are short of experience, 

Thanks for sharing though, as it's helpful to know he attended the forum

Edited by glen9mullan

2 minutes ago, only2garners said:

I disagree with that, 5 for 2 spots over 46 games and cup games seems reasonable. 

Do you know when the minutes are out and did Waggott touch on the stupid decision to close the Darwen End for the Cardiff game.

5 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

He speaks really well and really clearly, like everything about how he communicates. But in terms of how good he is at the job we dont really know until Ennis, Sigurdsson, Moran, Wahlstedt, Tronstad, Telalovic and Hill have racked up some proper game time.

He could be a genius, he could be bang average. We just have no idea.

Given no cash, I think its difficult to judge this lot he got.

Last seasons signings is a little more tangible,  some hits/some misses.

None of this window falls with Ewood or the Manager.

It's the loons in Pune who are fully responsible for leaving us up shit creak a few weeks before the season started .

Edited by glen9mullan
  • Like 5

As usual, I found Broughton to be articulate and insightful. Can we know it is 100% accurate/truthful? No. Can we ever know this with anyone? Also, no. It was an interesting listen, but one that only heightened my feeling that we are always only ever one Venky's decision/change of direction/legal investigation/whim from potential disaster. Any organisation lurching along, going against strategy, like this one really doesn't stand any chance of success. It is no way to operate and no fun to support. They've got to go. Unless, and until, they do, I guess we keep waiting for their next "change in circumstances" to totally derail wherever those at the club have managed to drag it to, at the time. Rinse and repeat. Painful.

• Like 6

Didn't think there was anything particularly groundbreaking or surprising in that really.

Quite interesting that his version of events differed to JDT's on Buckley, but it would be a little foolish to bare faced lie in public about it.

Also how he said we thought off championship competition for Hill and Moran, wonder who those teams were?  Its promising that the JDT factor was a big pull, also worrying for if/when he does leave though.......

1 hour ago, glen9mullan said:

JDT Feels differently though, he feels we are short of experience, 

Thanks for sharing though, as it's helpful to know he attended the forum

JDT should probably play Buckley then if he thinks so highly of him. He wasn't in the last two Championship squads and has played 1 minute all season.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, glen9mullan said:

5. Final transfer was a loan but budget wouldn't stretch to it.

If we needed any more proof of our dire financial position...Venkys setting their stall out for promotion right there.

"Crawling, slithering, along the edge of a straight Razor."

Edited by SIMON GARNERS 194
  • Like 2

I thought GB came across very well. I am not one for accepting that everything that comes out of someone’s mouth is true, so really think this interview will make or break him.

The next 5 league games and the cup game will define our season. If we can pick up 9 or 10 points and progress in the cup, it’s game on. If not, this interview will suddenly seem to have lots of platitudes in it. 

Not listened to it yet but iv'e always had quite a bit of faith in Broughton because he is an actual football guy and compared to the dweebs we've had here like Shebby (rip) and Senior the guy is on another level.

Lets face it being a bit hit and miss in the transfer market is nothing new and they are trying to get blood out of stones these days.

He's the face of the football operation now though and i think with a normal budget and bit of spends him and JDT would make sweet music here.   Trouble is we are still owned by rich cretins and run by unambitious downgrader Waggot with possibly a new fly in the ointment in the shape of a new Venky hatchet man.

• Like 3