BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Gregg Broughton

51 minutes ago, roverblue said:

Unfortunately, yes.  The life of a championship club 

Well, all Championship clubs are not the same are they? Wasn't the case for Luton was it? Lower crowds than we have.

We have rich owners, we should be able to be optimistic about the future.

But we can't even have a well-maintained stadium.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

The Coates family also had to turn debt into equity and essentially write off over a £100m in order for them to comply with FFP

This despite selling players to the tune of £15m and selling their ground to the owners

It is often missed in JH's posts, that all clubs follow the exact same rules, and that his idea that owners manage to circumvent it is wrong. What his post also misses out is that Stoke's wage bill has been cut by a third since 2018. This is because they were heading for an iceberg, and had they not made these decisions they would have been fined or worse

We are no different in this regard

Missed in your post is that Stoke were playing in the Premier League in 2018 - of course they're going to have slashed their Premier League wage bill in that time.

• Like 1

Good piece in the Times this week on Bradford City. Struggling for results at the moment in the fourth division under Mark Hughes but crowds are averaging around 18,000, better than many Championship clubs including Rovers, and the place is bubbling with enthusiasm.

Their fans have suffered a roller coaster ride even more than us in the past decade or so but the feeling is they’re on the way back. You don’t get that feeling with us

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 47er said:

Well, all Championship clubs are not the same are they? Wasn't the case for Luton was it? Lower crowds than we have.

We have rich owners, we should be able to be optimistic about the future.

But we can't even have a well-maintained stadium.

Yeah totally agree, for whatever reason our owners although apparently billionaires don't want to do anything more than cover basic costs. Although even that incredibly still amounts to £20m of losses per year to them which is the ridiculous state of football.

Realistically the only way to mitigate that is to both increase turnover and pump out an Adam Wharton/Adam Armstrong every year. Unless there is some massive cost that can be reduced we don't know about it (Waggots salary for a start).

On 14/09/2023 at 11:33, JoeH said:

Yup, Wages to Turnover % needs to be at 70% by 2026 or something. Last financial report had us at 147% for 2021/22, no doubt it's come down fairly significantly to 110-120% since then, maybe a little lower.

Whilst it's frustrating, being one of the few clubs who's making a head start on this requirement (albeit due to circumstances out of the clubs control), coupled with the fantastic academy churn out we have, we'll be in a very strong position come that deadline.

If we don't manage to get promoted before 2026, we'll be one of the (if not the) most prepared clubs in the league for the changes.

Or, we abide by it, nobody else does, the rule isn't followed by the Premier League and EFL and we end up fucking ourselves?

1 hour ago, Mellor Rover said:

Or, we abide by it, nobody else does, the rule isn't followed by the Premier League and EFL and we end up fucking ourselves?

Achieving a sustainable wage to turnover ratio is a good thing, by my standards anyway.

3 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Good piece in the Times this week on Bradford City. Struggling for results at the moment in the fourth division under Mark Hughes but crowds are averaging around 18,000, better than many Championship clubs including Rovers, and the place is bubbling with enthusiasm.

Their fans have suffered a roller coaster ride even more than us in the past decade or so but the feeling is they’re on the way back. You don’t get that feeling with us

They are another club who slashed their STs once over in order to rebuild their fractured fanbase and get others interested.

They are also drawing from a city with 3 or 4 times the population of us and many other championship teams. Big city clubs get bigger gates whatever division they are in i'm not sure why anyone is the least bit surprised at that.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Achieving a sustainable wage to turnover ratio is a good thing, by my standards anyway.

To an extent, yes. But it also advances the real implications of Football Financial "Fair" Play, by further hammering down the clubs with less large fanbases and income streams, and reinforcing the power base of the wealthier, city clubs. Smaller clubs' dreams of having some form of relatively wealthy ownership that might take them to a level their fans would never have imagined become virtually impossible. I'm glad none of this % of turnover stuff was around in the 1990s.

On the basis this is going to happen, then any half-decent owner would be investing time, energy and funds into exploring and establishing every possible income stream so that % figure to spend on wages is high enough to compete and get to, and stay in, the lucrative competitions. Perhaps another reason why anyone thinking that sticking with Venky's is "safest" really isn't thinking it all through.

• Like 4

Having watched Gregg on Rovers TV, it struck me how he said one of the keepers had to go. Seemingly either keeper was expendable. Though there's no hint Aynsley had suitors...... 

17 minutes ago, Devon Rover said:

To an extent, yes. But it also advances the real implications of Football Financial "Fair" Play, by further hammering down the clubs with less large fanbases and income streams, and reinforcing the power base of the wealthier, city clubs. Smaller clubs' dreams of having some form of relatively wealthy ownership that might take them to a level their fans would never have imagined become virtually impossible. I'm glad none of this % of turnover stuff was around in the 1990s.

This is also true, basically if you have a large fanbase or target fanbase (e.g. larger city based clubs) it works in your favour to the detriment of smaller town clubs like ours.

There was talk of abandoning the parachute payment system with an even spread down the leagues, this would be a good start in increasing turnover for all clubs. A salary cap would be a good next step in my eyes to stop any extra being gobbled up by players and agents.

• Like 1

As much of a nice guy Broughton looks in front of the camera, the fact JDT is almost calling him out as a liar on Buckley just days after this interview is worrying. If he’s not telling the whole truth on that, what else is a bit of a PR sound bite. No interviews are spontaneous towards the end of the windows. It’s like they give themselves a few days to ‘get their story straight’ before you hear from them.

14 hours ago, Hasta said:

As much of a nice guy Broughton looks in front of the camera, the fact JDT is almost calling him out as a liar on Buckley just days after this interview is worrying. If he’s not telling the whole truth on that, what else is a bit of a PR sound bite. No interviews are spontaneous towards the end of the windows. It’s like they give themselves a few days to ‘get their story straight’ before you hear from them.

Yes, what I took away from interviews is really how little say JDT has. He has to work with what hes given. He obviously accepts thats the model, but equally he is frustrated.

My feeling is while JDTs been calling out Waggott, he will start doing the same with Broughton if the new signings are not up to muster.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • Herbie6590 changed the title to Gregg Broughton
1 hour ago, DeeCee said:

For me, GB beds to deliver consistently over the next 2 transfer windows to prove he is the real deal. He's not there yet but I'm hoping.

Not sure he's going to have much to work with unfortunately.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, DeeCee said:

For me, GB beds to deliver consistently over the next 2 transfer windows to prove he is the real deal. He's not there yet but I'm hoping.

Not sure what he can deliver if he gets told he needs to bring in 5-10 million and maybe suffer a further budget cut.

• Like 2

In the main, GB has done a v good job in identifying decent talent to bring in. As with all recruitment it's a mixed bag, but looking at it currently:

Hirst - bad failure, low risk financially

Hyam - huge success, high financial risk

Szmodicz - huge success, high financial risk

Morton - ok, low financial risk

Mola - failure, low financial risk

Thomas - ok, low financial risk

Ennis - jury out, low financial risk

Siggy - looks top but early days, low financial risk

Trondstad - promising, low financial risk

Wahlsted - promising, low financial risk 

Telalovic - jury out, low financial risk

Moran - looks good but early days, low financial risk

Hill - promising, low financial risk.

Standout failures are Hirst, O'Brien & a missed striker last January. Any one of those not happening could've seen us get that missing extra point last season.

All signings are risks in terms of will they do what they were signed for, or could an alternative have done better. But overall, and given the context that needs no repeating here, that's not a bad record for GB imo, so far, & significant room for further growth but less room for regression.

• Like 4

Not sure there is such a thing as 'low' financial risk at Rovers anymore.

Everything is a risk and giving out a 4 year contract to Ennis is significant and some of those loan fees/wage contributions won't be cheap at all.  

Agree though i think he's done ok so far certainly no worse than the previous regime when you factor in the money thrown away on Brereton and short term deals for Downing x2 and Rodwell as well as Ayala's contract.

Money we'll never get back.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tomphil said:

money thrown away on Brereton

And Lenihan, Rothwell & to a lesser degree Nyambe. 

Totally agree re measurement of risk financially, given what we now know but didn't 3 months ago. I can see us having to make a big sale in January just to keep the lights on (or stop more being switched off), but if we do I think GB would be as good as anyone to find a modestly priced alternative.

• Like 1