BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Gregg Broughton

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

I doubt that. They'll just find some other way to sink us like they always do.

I remember after promotion from League One we were told that we weren't going to go daft and spend big money to try and bounce to the PL. We were going to be sensible and structured and invest correctly, in doing so avoiding FFP issues and building something that would enable us to be well placed medium term after all these other clubs had suffered through overspending and FFP trouble.

Fast forward just 2-3 years and we've let a raft of said assets walk away for nothing, nobly claiming we had no alternative, and into the mix have had to sell off our training ground apparently to ensure compliance. Not many clubs have done that.

I was told that the likes of Stoke, Bristol City, Middlesbrough, spending millions a year and huge wages, would get their comeuppance under FFP whilst we would be sat pretty with a solid base.

As it turns out none of those clubs have faced sanctions, despite spending and losing a lot more than us, whilst we have effectively sanctioned ourselves, be that due to 'geopolitical issues' affecting the owners or due to imposing harsh cuts and restrictions allegedly to achieve FFP compliance.

This is just more of the jam tomorrow talk. Expecting us to believe that a bit of pain over the next 2-3 years is going to lead to a big bright future where we cruise along and all these rival clubs get crippled with FFP issues. It won't happen. We will get to 2026 (assuming we survive in the Championship until then) and it will just be more of the same - claims we have to sell assets and make cuts to comply, rapidly changing situation with the owners in India, cashflow problems, profits taking a hit.

They treat the club with neglect and contempt and decide budgets and 'strategy' on a whim. I firmly believe we now have the shadow man and Waggott doing what they think is best with whatever budget India decides to hand down each year. Broughton and JDT are mere pawns in that, brought in under the impression there was a plan and ambition here and now realising that these owners have neither, just make it up as they go along depending on how they feel each summer.

Stoke- 15mill for soutar 

boro- 12 million for their striker, 25 million for Spence and Taverner.

Bristol city- Scott- 25 million, semenyo 12 million.

That’s for the last two seasons, it explains the outlay on player transfer fees but it is no way near what they have received. Hopefully now with GB leading we can get decent fees for players and then reinvest sensibly.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JoeH said:

Yup, Wages to Turnover % needs to be at 70% by 2026 or something. Last financial report had us at 147% for 2021/22, no doubt it's come down fairly significantly to 110-120% since then, maybe a little lower.

Whilst it's frustrating, being one of the few clubs who's making a head start on this requirement (albeit due to circumstances out of the clubs control), coupled with the fantastic academy churn out we have, we'll be in a very strong position come that deadline.

If we don't manage to get promoted before 2026, we'll be one of the (if not the) most prepared clubs in the league for the changes.

That really is wishful thinking, especially if we end up in league 1 again first.

• Like 1

Just now, tomphil said:

That really is wishful thinking, especially if we end up in league 1 again first.

That is where we are heading tomphil, selling off all our academy assets and slashing budgets/wages across the board.

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, Rogerb said:

There is no way this wage turnover ratio of 70 per cent will be implemented by 2026.

It's already underway, it's a UEFA ruling. The question is whether or not the EFL/PL implement the same structure.

57 minutes ago, imy9 said:

Stoke- 15mill for soutar 

boro- 12 million for their striker, 25 million for Spence and Taverner.

Bristol city- Scott- 25 million, semenyo 12 million.

That’s for the last two seasons, it explains the outlay on player transfer fees but it is no way near what they have received. Hopefully now with GB leading we can get decent fees for players and then reinvest sensibly.

I wasn't really referring to the last year or two, but was going back to 2018-2021. I was told, by many on here, that our choice of path was absolutely the right one, completely sensible and sustainable and it would ensure that we would be in a strong position down the line, blessed with assets of value and in no trouble with FFP rules.

Fast forward and that simply didn't happen. Most of the assets we had we lost for nothing, and I am also being asked to accept that selling off Brockhall to a different company was a necessary and proportionate measure to ensure we steered clear of trouble.

I was also told back in 2018-19 that all these other clubs going out spending millions and paying big money were headed for an iceberg with FFP because it would catch up with them. Well it didn't, as the number of punishments handed out has shown. Nor have those clubs been forced into selling off land or facilities to comply or are claiming 'geopolitics' forcing budgets to be slashed.

Of course you are right. They have all sold players as is reality of life in the Championship. We did it too with Armstrong but that doesn't appear to have achieved anything, as we didn't reinvest at the time and still sold Brockhall.

I agree, hopefully moving forward with GB it will be different, but last time around it was supposed to be different and in the end it wasn't.

I tend to believe that the reason the earlier mentioned clubs have avoided any issues is because they are all owned by local supporters, genuine well meaning businessmen who are determined to try and be successful for their clubs - Gibson, Coates, Lansdown. Whereas ours, well, I think it is fair to say are not.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, JoeH said:

It's already underway, it's a UEFA ruling. The question is whether or not the EFL/PL implement the same structure.

Maybe a uefa ruling but it's only just over 2 years away. Pl and EFL with 92 clubs need to give longer than that for clubs to adjust when there is no definitive plan as yet.

25 minutes ago, JHRover said:

I wasn't really referring to the last year or two, but was going back to 2018-2021. I was told, by many on here, that our choice of path was absolutely the right one, completely sensible and sustainable and it would ensure that we would be in a strong position down the line, blessed with assets of value and in no trouble with FFP rules.

Fast forward and that simply didn't happen. Most of the assets we had we lost for nothing, and I am also being asked to accept that selling off Brockhall to a different company was a necessary and proportionate measure to ensure we steered clear of trouble.

I was also told back in 2018-19 that all these other clubs going out spending millions and paying big money were headed for an iceberg with FFP because it would catch up with them. Well it didn't, as the number of punishments handed out has shown. Nor have those clubs been forced into selling off land or facilities to comply or are claiming 'geopolitics' forcing budgets to be slashed.

Of course you are right. They have all sold players as is reality of life in the Championship. We did it too with Armstrong but that doesn't appear to have achieved anything, as we didn't reinvest at the time and still sold Brockhall.

I agree, hopefully moving forward with GB it will be different, but last time around it was supposed to be different and in the end it wasn't.

I tend to believe that the reason the earlier mentioned clubs have avoided any issues is because they are all owned by local supporters, genuine well meaning businessmen who are determined to try and be successful for their clubs - Gibson, Coates, Lansdown. Whereas ours, well, I think it is fair to say are not.

This is not completely correct. Stoke did sell their ground to their owners to comply with FFP.

• Like 2

Based on Greggs comments it sounds fairly certain that Wharton is going next summer (unless we perform a miracle and go up) so that brings in another £15m plus to play with (plus the £5 Raya cash).

So next summer is shaping up as a major opportunity to find the next big things and spend some cash.

6 minutes ago, roverblue said:

Based on Greggs comments it sounds fairly certain that Wharton is going next summer (unless we perform a miracle and go up) so that brings in another £15m plus to play with (plus the £5 Raya cash).

So next summer is shaping up as a major opportunity to find the next big things and spend some cash.

That is a how a well run club operates, the club will swallow the vast majority and give the manger the bare minimum to operate.

Or

They'll not sell Wharton and let him leave from free, either way we lose......

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, roverblue said:

Or an opportunity for the ownership to put nothing in whilst we try and tread water whilst hoping there is another one blooming to sell next.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Or an opportunity for the ownership to put nothing in whilst we try and tread water whilst hoping there is another one blooming to sell next.

You would expect a chunk to go back into the club to cover some costs.

It would be better if they just came out and were honest about what % of sales we actually get to re-invest as a strategy rather than making it up as they go along like this summer.

As much as I dislike Venky's it's not sustainable for them or anyone else to sink £20m per year just to keep the club in existence.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

This is not completely correct. Stoke did sell their ground to their owners to comply with FFP.

The Coates family also had to turn debt into equity and essentially write off over a £100m in order for them to comply with FFP

This despite selling players to the tune of £15m and selling their ground to the owners

It is often missed in JH's posts, that all clubs follow the exact same rules, and that his idea that owners manage to circumvent it is wrong. What his post also misses out is that Stoke's wage bill has been cut by a third since 2018. This is because they were heading for an iceberg, and had they not made these decisions they would have been fined or worse

We are no different in this regard

• Like 3

4 hours ago, roverblue said:

A truly ambitious and well run club with mega rich owners would look to build on their assets, not sell them.

Edited by den
  • Like 6

10 minutes ago, den said:

A truly ambitious and well run club would look to build on their assets, not sell them.

We are in the championship.A.Wharton is an extremely talented  player and if he continues on an upward trajectory and if we are still a championship club then there will be huge interest from premier League clubs and it will be virtually impossible to keep hold of him.

It happens at every club in the championship,I'd say Gibson at Boro is a decent enough owner and ambitious but every summer they lose a star player 

I'm sure ideally Wharton would love to take the club up and play premier league football with us but as much as a fan he is he will premier league football next season with or without us 

• Like 3

• Backroom
5 hours ago, roverblue said:

If we only get a fiver from Raya's sale then either Brentford have had a mare or Waggott's comment about it being the highest ever sell-on fee he's negotiated won't much much of a brag!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, roverblue said:

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

You are being sarcastic right!? 

Next summer some other venky bullshit will be fabricated that swallows up the majority of any profits from player sales. Fact(ish!)

And god forbid we find ourselves heading for a playoff spot again this season! Some venky creepaxoid lackey will have to find a way of derailing our play off push again. Cant be having us in the prem! Way to much spotlight and exposure would be placed directly onto the venkys business dealings and spending in this country. 

• Like 5

Well listened to the RoversTv and Radio Lancs and I think GB was open, honest and very good communication. 

He fully explained everything and every situation. The recruitment department is now organised and we are all over Europe which makes logical sense with the quality players out there, our Director of Football and Head Coach background and knowledge..

I enjoyable listened. He is a man who wants the very best for Rovers. Same as JDT

Edited by chaddyrovers
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, roverblue said:

You would expect a chunk to go back into the club to cover some costs.

It would be better if they just came out and were honest about what % of sales we actually get to re-invest as a strategy rather than making it up as they go along like this summer.

As much as I dislike Venky's it's not sustainable for them or anyone else to sink £20m per year just to keep the club in existence.

So we carry on like this do we? Is that all there is?