BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Gregg Broughton

29 minutes ago, Moptop1 said:

I’m going to upset a few on here, but I like Greg. He is doing a difficult job, with both hands tied. Our Owners/CEO can’t be the easiest to work with, when the money is always being penny pinched and having cost cutting forced upon his ‘transfer’ budget.

Him and JDT are doing the best that can and sadly, our ‘wonderful’ owners are taking them for a massive ride.

No one is ever going to be successful working under  these conditions. 

I don't think many, if any , have any issues with the job Broughton is trying to do under difficult circumstances. I personally have a lot of time for him, think he speaks honestly and explains the clubs situation as clearly as he can

• Like 4

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I disagree with that, 5 for 2 spots over 46 games and cup games seems reasonable. 

Do you know when the minutes are out and did Waggott touch on the stupid decision to close the Darwen End for the Cardiff game.

I have just received the approved minutes, so they should be on the website in the next day or two.

Steve Waggott wasn't at the meeting. He has been on holiday and I think is back tomorrow.

We did of course raise the issue of the Cardiff game (I think you might mean Blackburn End!) - everyone was unanimous in their opposition to the stand closure.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, only2garners said:

Gregg came to the Fans Forum on Monday night. He spoke about the feeling that the squad had one too many midfielders in. Alongside that John Buckley had fallen down the pecking order a bit and was keen for a loan move to get some game time. So effectively I think it was a bit of both.

I have just had the agreed minutes for Monday's Forum. I wasn't clear when I typed the above that this was going to get in them but it has: -

ND asked about the decision to let John Buckley go out on loan to Sheffield Wednesday. GB replied that John had been keen to go out on loan to get more game time. He had fallen behind Jake Garrett in the manager’s view and that it was unanimous that the players development was the priority knowing the cover that the club had in this position.

I like GB and todays interview has done nothing to change my opinion.

He’s an effective communicator, appears to be honest and transparent and gives us something that didn’t exist before he arrived here; a strategy.

In my opinion, we’re a lot better off with him being with us.

I’ve seen a small number of strong opinions against him on here in the past and I’d be interested to know what’s that’s based on.

And on Buckley, I was told that JDT was in full agreement with the loan.

Which is interesting as everything else that the same person has told me has either happened or been confirmed, even down to GB confirming that the 3rd deadline signing was a winger from the Bundesliga (Oli Burke).

Edited by Andy
  • Like 7

Broughton always talks well and this interview is no different. I don't know how anyone can knock him, his scouting team or JDT given the crumbs (if that) they had to work with.

It's interesting this £5m figure reference from Raya. I was told it was £4m and that was from a v decent source.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!
  • Like 5

5 hours ago, Eddie said:

Broughton certainly has his critics and takes a lot of flack on here, but I thought it was a superb interview. Spoken openly and honestly about the full range of topics that supporters would want to be addressed. 

From the budget, to Phillips, to Wharton, it is exactly what we've been calling for in terms of clarity and reassurance. If another DoF came out and spoke like that we'd have dozens on here asking why our own staff couldn't do the same.

Assuming that there is nothing misleading in what he said - which I would be surprised if there were - then it gives me a much stronger sense that we have some safe hands in key positions at the club (even if they might not have as much power or independence as we might want).

Got a link to the interview? I can only find the article on telegraph. Thanks

2 hours ago, Andy said:

Which is interesting as everything else that the same person has told me has either happened or been confirmed, even down to GB confirming that the 3rd deadline signing was a winger from the Bundesliga (Oli Burke).

What about the mid August meeting that was going to solve all the cashflow problems ?  That didn't happen

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Crimpshrine said:

What about the mid August meeting that was going to solve all the cashflow problems ?  That didn't happen

No, it didn't - it was scheduled for then, but it was postponed.

Not heard about a rescheduled date yet.

4 minutes ago, Crimpshrine said:

There'll be a veil thrown around that you can bet and which meeting is it, the one about tax fraud or the one about overseas money ?

It is very noticeable how evasive of the camera GB is in the first part of the interview talking about the change in the financial environment compared to all the other questions he answers. Also he states one of the two keepers was going to go so from that can we conclude Pears would have gone if no suitable bid for TK.?

No doubt that money was the main factor throughout the summer. But Pears was given the number 1, must have been given assurances that he would be the first choice and has been pretty consistent in interviews about not being willing to be number 2, obviously nobody would say otherwise, but also has reiterated that him and Kaminski at the club was not viable.

There has also been talk about Walstedt being a prospect, although one strange aspect about his signing is a 3 year deal without an option. But I think Pears will be number 1 at least for the near future. He made 2 howlers against Plymouth and that mistake v Hull, it should be now that he is dropped. Fingers crossed.

I do think that Wahlstedt's solitary Sweden cap doesnt necessarily prove much in isolation. I saw they played the other day and they had Villa sub Olsen in net who is crap, and Johansson (admittedly very good at our level) as one of the subs. He hopefully will prove to be a very shrewd aquisition nonetheless.

It's always been my assumption that the plan is to give Pears as many games as possible to get value into him then he'll be the next off the conveyor belt.

Of course his form will dictate that but the idea that Leo is just waiting in the wings to step up in a 'not if but when' scenario i reckon isn't the case.

• Like 1