BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

That *was* the January Window

14 minutes ago, 47er said:

I've amended my post above to make my point clearer!

Fair enough, I would have presumed that Adam Wharton (rather than Travis) was JDTs second choice for the deepest midfield slot, as he played their at the expense of Tronstad in the early weeks of the season.

I would agree that if we sell Travis, he needs to be replaced with another midfielder (either box to box or a deeper laying player to allow Wharton to operate further forwards) due to the injuries to Buckley and JRC for the rest of the season

Edited by KentExile

Wharton can’t play the Tronstad role, his tackling, stamina and defensive positioning is nowhere near good enough. When he tried it earlier this season we got murdered even more than we do lately.

Travis has all the right attributes but is poor at taking on the ball under pressure. If we played 3 in midfield then Tronstad or Wharton could do this bit and we overall massively improve the defensive side of our game.

This should be the change we make to stop the rot this season. But JdT has shown no willingness to adapt and it instead looks like we will sell one of our best midfielders.

we will regret it

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, philipl said:

They got 20m for Lewis-Potter in the Summer so have no FFP issues

He joined Brentford in Summer 2022 

We got £15 million for Adam Armstrong yet apparently still had to sell our training ground and were still on the 'cusp' of FFP problems so not sure how they can be so much better off.

I suspect the difference is that their new Turkish owner has ambition and wants them to grow and get better. Whereas our owners, nobody really knows what they want but it ain't growth or improvement I think we can all agree.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Agreed, also on a more basic level it has always baffled me how people think selling a player then bringing in several for the same money ( who by definition must be inferior) enhances a team/squad.

If you think you can replace Travis like for like with a better player - fair enough. But I doubt that's what's happening here.

It's always baffled me how little context exists. 

Tronstad cost nowt and he's the best DM we've got. We might get £2m plus for Travis who is 3rd choice DM. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JHRover said:

He joined Brentford in Summer 2022 

We got £15 million for Adam Armstrong yet apparently still had to sell our training ground and were still on the 'cusp' of FFP problems so not sure how they can be so much better off.

I suspect the difference is that their new Turkish owner has ambition and wants them to grow and get better. Whereas our owners, nobody really knows what they want but it ain't growth or improvement I think we can all agree.

We got 60% of £15m. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, KentExile said:

Also not forgetting the new, long term contracts for numerous players signed under his watch... even if we do include Phillips and his low release fee (which was considerably more than Rovers would have got if he had not signed the contract and left for a compensation fee instead)

The people who used to have this responsibility failed miserably but I don’t think that changes the fact this is an absolute basic requirement of his job.

That’s why I wouldn’t personally put this in the + column.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, 47er said:

So why sell him?

In my opinion, he should only  be sold IF he can be replaced by someone better suited to how Rovers play for the same (or less) money, my above point was not that he should be sold, but that he is not seen by JDT as a defensive midfielder (at least not in the mould that JDT wants a deep laying midfielder to play)

Edit based on the above posts about a loan move to Ipswich ... Unless we are getting a huge loan fee and bonus based on Ipswich getting promotion, this is a very strange decision

Edited by KentExile

3 minutes ago, frosty said:

Travis is going to Ipswich on loan according to Jackson. What a mess.

Wtf? So good enough for a team pushing for automatic promotion but not good enough for us? 

This deal makes no sense and if it's just to replace him with Isaac Hayden, I'm not on board with this.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Armchair supporter supremo said:

Travis being loaned out to Ipswich apparently. Not sold

Other than as a symptom of a need for desperate reduction in the wage bill, this doesn't make much sense to me, at all. This is the club captain, who it could be argued would add something to our currently overrun central midfield. 

If he isn't seen as an option for the first team, then why loan not sell? Why loan, at all? It can only be either 'cut costs at every opportunity', or Travis has asked to leave and this is the only viable option at the moment.

In the first scenario, I can't see a replacement brought in. In the second, it would surely only be a loan, and unlikely to be a better option than Travis, so we downgrade (again).

Odd. Very odd. 

3 minutes ago, KentExile said:

In my opinion, he should only  be sold IF he can be replaced by someone better suited to how Rovers play for the same (or less) money, my above point was not that he should be sold, but that he is not seen by JDT as a defensive midfielder (at least not in the mould that JDT wants a deep laying midfielder to play)

Given we don’t have a pot to piss in perhaps JDT needs to adjust that mould when Travis is in the team.

I wonder with Travis leaving on loan it's means we are bringing in Hayden on loan? 

1 hour ago, 47er said:

Well you're the one rated Garret ahead of Travis in a list of midfielders. 4th or 5th you said  implying he's keeping Travis out and we don't need him anymore. I know Tronstadt is first choice in that position but isn't Travis 2nd in that position? Don't bother mentioning JRC for a while!

I'm arguing we do need him.

No JDT has selected Garrett ahead of Travis to play centre midfield. When was the last time Travis started in centre midfield? 

I would say no he isn't second choice for that position cos JDT plays him further forward in the 8 role not the 6 role. He has played Wharton there instead when Tronstad hasn't been selected. 

If the replacement has less than 200 appearances at Championship level or above, then Venkatesh Twatteries, SW, GB and JDT have explaining to do.

Don't cry over a lack of experience and get rid of the player with (likely) the most appearances in league games.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

I wonder with Travis leaving on loan it's means we are bringing in Hayden on loan? 

No JDT has selected Garrett ahead of Travis to play centre midfield. When was the last time Travis started in centre midfield? 

I would say no he isn't second choice for that position cos JDT plays him further forward in the 8 role not the 6 role. He has played Wharton there instead when Tronstad hasn't been selected. 

Elliot saying nothing in Hayden.

1 minute ago, Devon Rover said:

Other than as a symptom of a need for desperate reduction in the wage bill, this doesn't make much sense to me, at all. This is the club captain, who it could be argued would add something to our currently overrun central midfield. 

If he isn't seen as an option for the first team, then why loan not sell? Why loan, at all? It can only be either 'cut costs at every opportunity', or Travis has asked to leave and this is the only viable option at the moment.

In the first scenario, I can't see a replacement brought in. In the second, it would surely only be a loan, and unlikely to be a better option than Travis, so we downgrade (again).

Odd. Very odd. 

It wouldn’t surprise me if each position has been allocated a wage budget and Buckley returning means our midfield is costing too much.

Sounds ridiculous but under this lot it sounds as likely as anything else.

• Like 3