BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

That *was* the January Window

9 minutes ago, gazza1981 said:

You can't play well when your played out of position . In the two games where Moran was played centrally as no 10 . Against cardiff he scored two goals and had two assists . Against Leicester although we were thrashed 4-1 . He was head and shoulders our best player.  

Well of course you can play well if you put the effort in and try to do as your asked not go hiding.

Whether we like it or not they play guys like that out of position as part of their learning process but i agree he is far better suited to being a no 10.

He's a loan player though and this isn't Mowbray so the side will be built around our players even though it's disjointed at times because mins and value into ours is their no1 priority now.

1 hour ago, gazza1981 said:

I wonder if he was Scottish would there be any premier league clubs after him , Don't get me wrong he is a talented player but i don't think he is head and shoulders the most talented player in our team like most here do .

I think Andrew Moran the is best and most talented player in the team . The few times he has played just behind the striker he has looked a class above Wharton.

I think he is a better dribbler than Wharton , better passing range and better finisher and eye for goal. I might be in the minority but I think he has a higher ceiling than Wharton and will make it with a top premier league team unlike Wharton.  Its just my opinion though I could be wrong.

They play two diferent positions, so shouldn't be judged against each other

Edited by rigger
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Browjd said:

You have to laugh....

He wants to leave, has asked every week for the last year.

His wages are too expensive.

Over rated will be a flop over there.

Not the sort of player needed/doesn't match JDT style.

I'll just have myself a game of club apologist bingo.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, MarkBRFC said:

JDT has repeatedly said that he would rather win 4-3 than 1-0.

If he was going to tighten up the side with an extra midfielder or something I think he would have done it by now.

How does he feel about losing 1-3?

6 minutes ago, Blow-in said:

How does he feel about losing 1-3?

Well we have conceded 2 goals a game since November 28th and haven't changed anything, so I presume he's ok about it?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

If my memory is correct, the first 6 months of JDT being here were full of scrappy 1-0 wins

I was starting to think the stories of him wanting to play possession, flowing football were a myth. We sat deep and we soaked up pressure. I can see why you want to move from that style - it doesn't win you anything, really. Not many great sides have won big things by playing like that all season. Maybe Leicester in their PL surprise is the only team I can name that has had success in this way. Yet, for Rovers, it ground out results and got us into a place where promotion was achievable. JDT would do well to remember them months. It doesn't have to be pretty all the time and getting wins under a squads' belt is far more important than being attractive

I remember a lot of people moaning about it on here. A lot of which are moaning about the tippy tappy now.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, booth said:

I remember a lot of people moaning about it on here. A lot of which are moaning about the tippy tappy now.

I don't see a problem in moaning about something that you don't like.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, booth said:

It's from one extreme to the other though and to be honest when he was shutting up shop on 65 mins at home to bottom club Huddersfield at 1-0 to us then inviting 30 mins of solid pressure it was a bit odd.

Thing is though we ground some results out and some times you just have to do that but its gone right out of the window this season.

2 minutes ago, rigger said:

I don't see a problem in moaning about something that you don't like.

I liked the 3 points, even if the football wasn't so great.

I was sat in the Jack Walker upper after the 2-1 win over WBA last season and I was surprised when the final whistle blew and I could hear people grumbling around me. As I was walking down the steps there was a bloke saying what a negative manager he was with everyone around him in agreement. Some didn't stop grumbling all season.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, yankfan said:

Maybe Trav going out on loan has more to do with finances than we thought. From the LT when asked about Buckley 

“I was disappointed he went away in the summer. It was not my decision, I would rather have kept John,” Tomasson explained.

“It was a financial decision to get his wages off the bill, now he is back. John is a good lad but it will take months before he is back, which is disappointing.

so if we had to move his wages and now he’s back, we needed to ship off someone else to account for his cost? 

JDT marking everyone's card and making it clear he's not responsible for any of this ****.

But of course he is "happy".

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, rigger said:

They play two diferent positions, so shouldn't be judged against each other

I agree you can't really compare two different positions . But i think you can judge who is more complete in their position . I think moran has all you need in a no 10 .  Great first touch , great dribbler , great passing range and vision , great shot and an eye for goal .

Where as i think . While Wharton as a holding player is a great playmaker and great on the ball . He lacks pace and defensively is very weak . Its the defensive side of his game he really needs to work on, if he is going to become a top premier league player and i am not sure, whether he will ever correct his defensive weaknesses.

4 minutes ago, gazza1981 said:

I agree you can't really compare two different positions . But i think you can judge who is more complete in their position . I think moran has all you need in a no 10 .  Great first touch , great dribbler , great passing range and vision , great shot and an eye for goal .

Where as i think . While Wharton as a holding player is a great playmaker and great on the ball . He lacks pace and defensively is very weak . Its the defensive side of his game he really needs to work on, if he is going to become a top premier league player and i am not sure, whether he will ever correct his defensive weaknesses.

Wharton has more talent in his little toe than Moran has in his whole body. Plus as is usually the case with loan players Moran has gone into hiding now the going has got tough.

Not really sure what your agenda is by making this comparison in the first place anyway.

Edited by RevidgeBlue
  • Like 5

24 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Wharton has more talent in his little toe than Moran has in his whole body. Plus as is usually the case with loan players Moran has gone into hiding now the going has got tough.

Not really sure what your agenda is by making this comparison in the first place anyway.

Bloody hell . You really think the gulf in class is that big.

I mean have you not seen some of Moran's passes, his dribbles , the way he can make his marker look foolish at times . How you don't see Moran as a really technically gifted player is beyond me .

His Brighton coach did say he can become a superstar.

36 minutes ago, gazza1981 said:

If Moran is such a great No10 why isn't he played there 

7 minutes ago, rigger said:

If Moran is such a great No10 why isn't he played there 

Because modern managers for some reason don't trust young players to play that role . Its the same with Guardiola not trusting Foden and playing him on the wing , where he was on the periphery of games .

Now Pep has moved Foden and Foden now looks the best no 10 in the league by a mile .

Let me ask you this . When Moran played a no 10 against Cardiff and scored 2 goals and got 2 assists . Were you not impressed . Could you not see how much better he played in that game than the games he played on the wing ?.

Also the Leicester game where we got thrashed 4-1. Moran was our best player . He got an 8 in the ratings . The rest of the players were rated at 5 and 6.

Hilly's return to Bournemouth confirmed.

I must admit, I was underwhelmed when he signed, I recall that many of us were. It was the same when we signed van Hecke... but both turned out to be cracking players and proved us wrong.

I'll never judge a signing again until I see them in Blue and White halves. Good luck Hilly!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, TheRevAshton said:

I must admit, I was underwhelmed when he signed, I recall that many of us were. It was the same when we signed van Hecke... but both turned out to be cracking players and proved us wrong.

I'll never judge a signing again until I see them in Blue and White halves. Good luck Hilly!

A very warm exit interview as well from the young man. Top bloke.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, TheRevAshton said:

Did Hill turn out to be a cracking player? I must admit he left me more in the underwhelmed category - certainly no Van Hecke.

17 minutes ago, Rochdale_rover said:

Moran has been awful for last 10 games or so.

Weak

Soft 

And offers zero threat.

Getting to the point I want dolan back to take his place which says it all as I don't rate dolan.

Wouldn't gibe a monkeys if he was recalled tomorrow 

Zero threat?He leads our assist charts with 8.

He has had a poor 6 weeks, as have a number of other players.

It's also his first season playing senior football. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, gazza1981 said:

Because modern managers for some reason don't trust young players to play that role . Its the same with Guardiola not trusting Foden and playing him on the wing , where he was on the periphery of games .

Now Pep has moved Foden and Foden now looks the best no 10 in the league by a mile .

Let me ask you this . When Moran played a no 10 against Cardiff and scored 2 goals and got 2 assists . Were you not impressed . Could you not see how much better he played in that game than the games he played on the wing ?.

Also the Leicester game where we got thrashed 4-1. Moran was our best player . He got an 8 in the ratings . The rest of the players were rated at 5 and 6.

Moran was impressive as a number 10 Vs Cardiff.  But you cannot play Moran as a 10 and Szmodics as a centre forward (Szmodics is not a wide player so there is no where else that you could move him.

Whatever formation we personally see JDT as using (4-4-2/4-2-4 with Szmodics as a central striker, 4-2-3-1 with Szmodics as the "10" or 4-3-3 with Szmodics as one of the "8s"... in reality it is all of them depending upon the situation, where the ball is on the pitch, and which team has position), there is no place for Moran as a 10 whilst Szmodics is in the team, and we cannot and should not drop Szmodics.  Meaning that if Moran has to play anywhere, it has to be wide (he is not disciplined enough to play as an 8/box to box 

Moran can and will improve as he progresses, but right now, there is no place for him in Rovers best 11 as a number 10.

Edited by KentExile
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Zero threat?He leads our assist charts with 8.

He has had a poor 6 weeks, as have a number of other players.

It's also his first season playing senior football. 

Far too many players have been in poor form recently so it's difficult to single any individual out. I saw enough of Moran before we tanked to see his qualities.

• Like 2