BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

That *was* the January Window

4 minutes ago, TugaysMarlboro said:

Chelsea after Wharton? £50m it is then.

The Gallagher thing probably explains why he's had a face like a slapped arse in all the recent social posts by the club.

If he is to go to someone like Chelsea the fee needs to take into account the reduced likelihood of us making money further down the line through a sell on clause.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, TugaysMarlboro said:

That's why I said 50m

I’d possibly go a bit lower to balance out the certainty of the initial fee vs the likelihood of future monies.

I guess you can’t know the acceptable ‘Chelsea deal’ without knowing the acceptable ‘Palace deal’.

I’d much prefer he stayed though.

Edited by wilsdenrover

2 minutes ago, wilsdenrover said:

I’d possibly go a bit lower to balance out the certainty of the initial fee vs the likelihood of future monies.

I guess you can’t know the acceptable ‘Chelsea deal’ without knowing the acceptable ‘Palace deal’.

I’d much prefer he stayed though.

50m was tongue in cheek, it was though an agreement with your point that if he goes to a 'big club' then we should be asking for more because as you stated, any potential monies from a sell on are reduced.

My preference would be for the latter too. I was hoping his latest contract meant we'd possibly get next season from him as well.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, wilsdenrover said:

If he is to go to someone like Chelsea the fee needs to take into account the reduced likelihood of us making money further down the line through a sell on clause.

Spot on

The truth is, we do not want Adam Wharton to move to a "destination club" where he will stay and play for the rest of his career.  We may be able to ask for more than 25M if that is the case, but probably not that much more at this stage or in the summer.

The ideal scenario is Dortmund, Brighton or similar (Palace will do at a stretch) for £25M and a healthy sell on fee, and then for him to move to a European giant in 2-3 years time for circa £100M

• Like 2

If we do sign Phillips on loan he will add some experience and height to then defensive. O'Riordan will also add height to the team. Hopefully we can add at least 2 more. Pacey winger and striker being the targets. Then Wharton replacement if he does leave and not loan back. 

I still think Markanday and Ennis will leave on loan in this window. 

39 minutes ago, BankEnd Rover said:

It’s about Gallagher and a so called big contract apparently.

I think this Gallagher transfer will get done before the deadline if we sign a quality striker to come in. Nixon linking us to Swansea striker Jerry Yates

Would be delighted if we sign Yates 

44 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

That’s a big Ipswich contract by the way before we have to coax Rev down from the nearest ledge.

Wait, what? Ipswich are offering Sam Gallagher a 7 year contract? 

Through till he's 35? 

Why would they do that?!?

Edited by davulsukur

6 minutes ago, KentExile said:

Spot on

The truth is, we do not want Adam Wharton to move to a "destination club" where he will stay and play for the rest of his career.  We may be able to ask for more than 25M if that is the case, but probably not that much more at this stage or in the summer.

The ideal scenario is Dortmund, Brighton or similar (Palace will do at a stretch) for £25M and a healthy sell on fee, and then for him to move to a European giant in 2-3 years time for circa £100M

But then you could look at it the other way. Wharton could go to the Prem and he may fail badly…There may be nothing in the sell on fee anyway because he could end up coming back to the top end of the championship after Numerous loans.

At least with Chelsea we could get a lot more money ‘now’. It’s a tough decision.

8 minutes ago, KentExile said:

Spot on

Sell on fees would be replaced by achievement fees i.e. international caps or more realistically, euro qualification and competition wins. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Can't see Wharton wanting to join Chelsea.The lad wants to be playing 

He’ll be sent on loan to play… but after trebling (quadrupling?) his wages. 

It’s the modern game with the ‘big 6’ who just pile up young lads.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, alex l said:

Sell on fees would be replaced by achievement fees i.e. international caps or more realistically, euro qualification and competition wins. 

Fair comment, I blame a lack of coffee for me not thinking of that lol

5 minutes ago, BankEnd Rover said:

But then you could look at it the other way. Wharton could go to the Prem and he may fail badly…There may be nothing in the sell on fee anyway because he could end up coming back to the top end of the championship after Numerous loans.

At least with Chelsea we could get a lot more money ‘now’. It’s a tough decision.

Yes, it’s working out at what stage x is a better option than y + possible z.

Fortunately we’ll have some of the best brains working on this 🙄

• Like 1

We need to include loan fees as part of the sell on for Wharton as a club like Chelsea could recoup a fair chunk of what they pay for him with 3 loans. 

On the Yates thing, I wanted us to go for him when he left Blackpool so I’d be happy with him as a Gallagher replacement.