BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

That *was* the January Window

Nathan Jones (I know, I fucking KNOW) saying the McGuire deal has fallen through down to “money issues” around the terms. Have we - hypothetically - flown McGuire over on a handshake and then tried to change the agreement once he’s done his medical?

Why do I feel like we’ve done this before? Has this happened before? Who does this?

1 minute ago, Bethnal said:

Nathan Jones (I know, I fucking KNOW) saying the McGuire deal has fallen through down to “money issues” around the terms. Have we - hypothetically - flown McGuire over on a handshake and then tried to change the agreement once he’s done his medical?

Why do I feel like we’ve done this before? Has this happened before? Who does this?

Wouldn't be a wasted journey for him. Sure someone would snap him up, Wednesday at least

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, superniko said:

I pretty much said all that in the original post. I’m not talking about spending all that in January as I was replying to the ‘loan now buy later’ policy. Regardless, we’re getting £23m over the next few windows plus a potential £4m eventually. We need to be spending over 50% of that if we have any ambition of promotion - isn’t that meant to be ‘the model‘?

Love to agree with you Nicko, but how can we spend 50% of that £23m when, by your own admission, it's coming over the next few windows, so we haven't actually got it yet?

If you mean we should be spending ,half of that £23 over the coming transfer windows I agree with you

Edited by Tugayisgod

1 minute ago, Tugayisgod said:

Love to agree with you Nicko, but how can we spend 50% of that £23m when, by your own admission, it's coming over the next few windows, so we haven't actually got it yet?

If we can sell in installments we can buy with agreements to pay when those instalments come in I imagine.

4 minutes ago, Bethnal said:

You'd like to think that a deal, with both the club and the player was basically all agreed (even in principle) BEFORE he jumped on a plane and flew half way around the world. 

Surely, surely Rovers aren't that fucking stupid?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Polky said:

Gent is doing well there, so that makes sense. I don't really hold out much hope for Vale making it here, he seems too lazy and limited. But if he has a good loan we may be able to attract a small fee.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Upside Down said:

Lewis O'Brien was in Manchester this time last year.

O'Brien was in Manchester on deadline day, not the day before. You'd think that, combined with lessons hopefully learned, would mean we shouldn't repeat that here.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

You'd like to think that a deal, with both the club and the player was basically all agreed (even in principle) BEFORE he jumped on a plane and flew half way around the world. 

Surely, surely Rovers aren't that fucking stupid?

Didn't one of the journalists who initially began tweeting about it say a 3.5 year contract had been agreed?

1 minute ago, bluebruce said:

O'Brien was in Manchester on deadline day, not the day before. You'd think that, combined with lessons hopefully learned, would mean we shouldn't repeat that here.

Is deadline day the 1st?

Thought it was the last day of January.

2 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

If it does happen again a number of people at the club need to have their p45's handed in on Friday morning.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, islander200 said:

Didn't one of the journalists who initially began tweeting about it say a 3.5 year contract had been agreed?

Agreeing the deal before the flight, changing the deal once he lands/passes medical. It is a bullshit, small-time negotiation tactic, essentially a bait-and-switch. The preserve of penny-pinchers and people who like to go on about “driving a hard bargain.”

10 minutes ago, Upside Down said:

Is deadline day the 1st?

Thought it was the last day of January.

Hasn't been on the last day of January for a while now if memory serves. At least 3 years I think? I'm sure it was on the 2nd Feb once.

1 minute ago, G Somerset Rover said:

That Nathan Jones chap had to be the biggest plonker going on Twitter. He’s learning from Nixon.

If the deal doesn’t happen, his followers will think he’s the oracle.

If it happens, he’ll just say they overcame the issue. And some idiots buy it.

Yep.

Usual Nixon scenario

"X set to move in shock deal!"

"X's move still going to plan"

"X's move off in sensational new twist!"

Kerchiiing.

10 minutes ago, Bethnal said:

Agreeing the deal before the flight, changing the deal once he lands/passes medical. It is a bullshit, small-time negotiation tactic, essentially a bait-and-switch. The preserve of penny-pinchers and people who like to go on about “driving a hard bargain.”

I believe we have form for this sudden goal post moving when a deal is agreed in principle and the player is in the building.

Stuffed a few lined up TM signings...allegedly.

• Like 1

Just now, tomphil said:

I believe we have form for this sudden goal post moving when a deal is agreed in principle and the player is in the building.

Stuffed a few lined up TM signings...allegedly.

Did we not do the same with Leo?

Agree personal terms, he flew over and then we reduced the terms?

Unless I’ve made that up? 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 1