BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Stoke City (a) - 25/11/2023

1 hour ago, Ossydave said:

If anything it makes things easier 

25 minutes ago, 47er said:

Tat's what I was thinking!  Helps you lift it.

Not sure where you've both got that notion from. You lose momentum so it reduces your ability to put it in the box with pace. Yes your body will be naturally lifting backwards, but you can just, ya know...tilt backwards on a normal corner spot, without losing momentum.

Missed the football this weekend due to other things but having read the thread and seen the highlights seems like a much deserved away win! I was expecting a defeat given stokes stature and style, good to see we mixed it up and are learning to adapt.

Please can we have a win on Wednesday night so I can go home happy for a change!

9 hours ago, bluebruce said:

Not sure where you've both got that notion from. You lose momentum so it reduces your ability to put it in the box with pace. Yes your body will be naturally lifting backwards, but you can just, ya know...tilt backwards on a normal corner spot, without losing momentum.

You don't need momentum to play a ball in with pace unless you're about 7 🤣

• Like 1

I watched the game back today. A good all-round performance. Stoke were very poor - it was strange they didn't go direct given the power and height they have and how we have struggled against the direct game, and that they had no incision to their passing or movement whatsoever - but we also looked so dangerous whenever we came forward despite not playing that well. We should really have scored two or three more. 

One thing to bring up... JDT has always been criticised (including myself here) for not "having a plan B". But I thought yesterday was very clever defensively - 1) we were happy and effective to play it long and not "tip tap it around", 2) we shifted to a back three with Pickering playing as an extra CB from very early on to counter the extra player stoke were putting forward and suit Travis coming on, 3) we man marked Hoever out of the game with Brittain. Tactically it was quite different to how we have played recently. So hats off for that. I think defensively we are looking quite smart these days, able to change between a back 4 and a back 5 mid game, push the LB or RB to play in midfield, play with one or two pivots in front of defence, drop the wide forwards in to make a back six. I know some are of the view that all the tactics talk is all nerdy nonsense that over complicates, but for me it's a key part of the game to be able to shift how you play, and JDT and his team look to me like they are becoming be very good at it.  I would say we are a bit one dimensional up front so would be good to see some innovation there, but still we are creating a lot of chances so can't complain too much. 

• Like 5

21 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

The first time I went to the old “ Shay “ in Halifax I was amazed to see the the quadrant by the corner flags was turf on boards sat on house bricks. That was so they could take them away for the speedway riders ! You definitely needed one leg longer than the other to take corners there.

the shay was an absolute outright dump,when i was there to watch the speedway,i could`nt believe they had a license to hold a football match,everything about the place had potential weapon written all over it!!!!!,the whole stadium was falling to pieces