BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Stoke City (a) - 25/11/2023

54 minutes ago, rigger said:

What is more widely than an attacking midfielder that is the leagues top scorer ?

I guess I'm just lamenting the fact that we don't have a central striker. Sammi's goals should be the icing on the cake, not the cake. 

Edited by 47er
  • Like 4

23 minutes ago, 47er said:

I guess I'm just lamenting the fact that we don't have a central striker. Sammi's goals should be the icing on the cake, not the cake. 

If we had another goal threat our reliance on him would also decrease and it would cause other teams an additional headache. 

5 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

Absolutely. He’s got bags of self confidence which has probably been a big factor in his goal return. He also seems really resilient and you can’t really imagine a spell of bad form from him. He’s had some really poor games but doesn’t seem to dwell on it, the Rotherham game earlier this season was a good example - a horrific first half followed up with a brace after half time.

Definitely. He does miss big chances, he did today twice. Yet he put the third away and hes happy to keep putting himself in those positions. So not only does he have the ability to find those positions, he has the mental strength to keep trying.

• Like 3

musings from today

hill is a proper old school  centre back,wins every header and looks like a leader

adam wharton,while he plays some sublime passes,needs to work more  off the  ball

travis is a far better right back than a midfielder,id`e play him there all the time

with a proper centre forward and a couple of older players  we would be challenging for promotion

wahlstedt looked a lot more steady dealing with crosses,though in truth i could have been in the goals and kept a clean sheet,stoke wer`nt half powder puff😃

• Like 1

• Backroom

Wow what a stonking result that is.

I didn’t expect Sammie to step up to this level he’s infectiously likeable as well, truly filled the Dack role. 

So glad he got his goal - but being cheeky (and not actually serious) I think rounding the keeper for his goal was never on and the wrong choice - but he pulled it off!

• Like 9

1 hour ago, bazza said:

In the original song the blues referred to heartbreak. But to Rovers' fans "blues" meant the team (even though our shirts are half white).

Lol..I have heard about people analysing Dylan and Cohen, but this....

I await your dissertation on Agadoo!

Edited by Leonard Venkhater
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, Neal said:

Sondre Tronstadt was quietly brilliant today. A very unassuming yet classy performance. Shifts his balance really well, cuts off key passing lines, neat & tidy... Does exactly the job JDT requires him to do. Looked like a European International player today. 

Exactly that.

Sammie and Tronstadt are irreplaceable in the team. Our way of playing depends on them doing their jobs more than any others.

I get the impression that Adam Wharton is playing within himself. Maybe to avoid injury and scuppering a future move.

The Stoke team have no identity on the field. Some of our passing, not shown on highlights, from front to back, was impressive. They couldn't match it even in the second half when they had all the possession. It was like watching Mowbray's Rovers.

Our team and style of play is an advert for our manager. Other ambitious clubs in this division will be watching.

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Tom said:

Wow what a stonking result that is.

I didn’t expect Sammie to step up to this level he’s infectiously likeable as well, truly filled the Dack role. 

So glad he got his goal - but being cheeky (and not actually serious) I think rounding the keeper for his goal was never on and the wrong choice - but he pulled it off!

He got a bit lucky there. I thought the keeper did well to just get a toe to the ball and push him out wider than he would have liked. The defender should have done better on the line as well but we’ll take it every day.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

There was another verse, B-side...

" I never felt more like painting the town.

The Rovers up, The Burnley down..

Oh, Rovers, ...etc"

I thought there was also a verse about flying a kite because Burnley were a load of Sh*te?

• Like 1

Alex Neil is one of those managers that quite easily out thought Mowbray on tactics, or it certainly seemed that way when we played his teams, he out thought JDT last season too.

So its good to get one back over Neil, a decent manager at this level.

Not wanting to talk about the Sunderland manager to much, but I'm sure the result away at Plymouth didn't go unnoticed by our regular travelling support. That is just the sort of result we'd get (2-0) from such a long journey under Mowbrays tenure, then beat Blackpool away the week after....

Onwards and upwards.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I haven’t seen the game. I texted number2 son after the game asking him who impressed him. He said “  Brittain, Moran, Tronstad. “

Nobody else mentioned Tronstad but he seems to be settling in nicely.

Tronstad is playing that defensive midfielder role we need when we want to play so open and attacking. 

12 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

James Hill has been a really good signing. It’s so handy having a lad who can play right back very effectively and yet be able to move over to centre half and play equally well.

Lots of times you get full backs who move over ok but are vulnerable in the air and then you get the steady centre halves who get done for pace and nimbleness when they play out wide.

James seems to be equally at home in both positions.

Another quality signing made by JDT and GB. He can play right back and centre back very effectively. He isn't an attacking full back but more of a defensive one who doesn't get forward much but defensively solid as a rock there

5 minutes ago, Gav said:

Alex Neil is one of those managers that quite easily out thought Mowbray on tactics, or it certainly seemed that way when we played his teams, he out thought JDT last season too.

Not wanting to talk about the Sunderland manager to much, but I'm sure the result away at Plymouth didn't go unnoticed by our regular travelling support. That is just the sort of result we'd get (2-0) from such a long journey under Mowbrays tenure, then beat Blackpool away the week after....

Onwards and upwards.

Its a fair point but I think JDT is much more organised and has a plan. Would Mowbray have put Brittain at left wing to stop the Stoke right back having such an impact on the game. He was taken off during the second half down to us. 

Mark Atkins made the point on BBC Radio Lancs that Brittain and Moran got back defensively and sometimes made us a back 6 which stopped Stoke wide players and full backs having an impact 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Gav said:

Onwards and upwards.

We're a more complete team this season, Gav.

Brilliant tactical move to put Brittain on their impressive full back straight from the start. Took out their threat. Brittain was as important yesterday as any other player. Just not a highlights role. Dolan shook hands with Brttain when the full back got subbed off. Job done. That allowed Garrett to come on and finish the game for us.

Let's hope his project gets another season. And the funds it deserves.

Edited by Tabula Rasa
  • Like 8

10 hours ago, simongarnerisgod said:

musings from today

hill is a proper old school  centre back,wins every header and looks like a leader

adam wharton,while he plays some sublime passes,needs to work more  off the  ball

travis is a far better right back than a midfielder,id`e play him there all the time

with a proper centre forward and a couple of older players  we would be challenging for promotion

wahlstedt looked a lot more steady dealing with crosses,though in truth i could have been in the goals and kept a clean sheet,stoke wer`nt half powder puff😃

Wahlstedt pulled off a superb save in the first half.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, rigger said:

Wahlstedt pulled off a superb save in the first half.

Yeah, good save that and pushed it away from the onrushing forwards.

It's hard to make a full judgement on him but I think he's a better shot-stopper than Pears. Pears has let a few of those type of shots bounce over his wrist and into the net. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Neal said:

Sondre Tronstadt was quietly brilliant today. A very unassuming yet classy performance. Shifts his balance really well, cuts off key passing lines, neat & tidy... Does exactly the job JDT requires him to do. Looked like a European International player today. 

He’s been brilliant since he’s come back into the team. Adjusted to our style of play and it’s even better when he comes on a free transfer. Solid performance from the whole team today and let’s start backing up these away victories with some home ones.

• Like 2