BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Stoke City (a) - 25/11/2023

3 hours ago, J*B said:

Easy. When we play teams at their place, we play against teams under pressure to attack which suits our counter attack style of play. When we are the home side we are encouraged to dictate the game and attack and don’t have a striker to do so. 

If that’s the case and it’s really that simple then the manager is at fault. He’s found a system of playing without a striker that is successful away from home so he needs to do the same at home. Everyone is praising him as a coaching genius after another fine win today but he’s clearly not solved the Ewood conundrum. If we follow up today by beating Birmingham we might be getting somewhere 

1 hour ago, onlyonejackwalker said:

😀

Its a 'blues' as in colour and conversely happiness 47er, but you know that already!!!! And yes we are happy tonight!

Don't try and make sense of football chants!

For years before matches in the early 80's we sang 'We are the Rovers, We are the Champions'....'We are the Rovers, Champions of Europe'....normally before losing at home to Swindon, or Port Vale, or Oxford. Real Madrid weren't panicking, but we kept singing it.

Remember being in a following of about 1000 at Ipswich in 87/88 singing that for the whole of the 2nd half in a 2-0 win.

Great times.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, 47er said:

Thinking how many he should have got in addition to those he did! He should have been the sensation of the season.

Yeah. I wonder what Sammie's mum's maiden name is. Can we give him a two named surname?

3 hours ago, Rover8T4 said:

Solid away performance, Nice and clinical from our part. But my god Stoke are boring, Didn't think I would see the day that a team could play a worse style of football than Swansea. Didn't have to leave second gear. Buckley's situation at Wednesday needs looking at, Not in squad today

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, LDRover said:

Remember being in a following of about 1000 at Ipswich in 87/88 singing that for the whole of the 2nd half in a 2-0 win.

Great times.

Yep I was also in that crowd. I seem to recall Scottie Sellars getting at least one of the goals that day?

2 minutes ago, LDRover said:

Great times.

Yep, was also there, think David Mail got a penalty. Travelling back to London on train, Chris Sulley joined us for a few beers and then, a few more at the Thwaites pub near the Caledonian Road. Great times indeed.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Yep I was also in that crowd. I seem to recall Scottie Sellars getting at least one of the goals that day?

I think Ainscow scored as well? It was touch and go whether it'd be on or not as there were floods down that way. It was only confirmed mid morning when we were half way down there.

The song was memorable that day as there was some cladding behind the goals that the rovers fans were banging while we were singing. Sounded deafening at the time.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, wilsdenrover said:

I think it’s Downes.

Hmmm. Sammie Szmodics Downes. Sounds like chalk hills in Sussex. Not as bad as Dewsbury Hall though. That sounds like a western region railway engine.

I think we'll stick with SS

Edited by bazza
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Our sole goal threat comes through Szmodics who to say is top scorer is not a particularly great finisher, he has had loads of shots and missed some sitters, he missed 2 good chances today.

Deary me. Who are you comparing him to, Harry Kane? How many 'great' finishers are there in the Championship? How many in the PL?

Every striker misses chances. He's not even a striker and he's the top scorer in the Championship. 

Bizarre criticism.

Edited by Sweaty Gussets
  • Like 6

On 17/11/2023 at 22:35, Upside Down said:

So after an international break and a couple of tough fixtures for England against Treasure Island and The Lost City Of Atlantis, it's back to business and some real football.

A weakened Rovers side had their pants pulled down prior to the break. Hopefully some key players can return from injury and lead us to glory.

Stoke 0-3 Rovers

SPOT ON!!!

On 20/11/2023 at 02:48, philipl said:

Two sides desperate for a season reset.

On paper Stoke had a good summer transfer window so could be dangerous opponents. 

That said, we owe them a beating based on our very recent record against them.

yes indeed! nice !

On 20/11/2023 at 23:30, only2garners said:

We have a bad record against them at Ewood - haven’t won since 2015. But our record there is not bad - three wins out of the last five.

now its 4 out of 6 🙂

On 21/11/2023 at 07:44, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

It’s not just our record against them, it’s even worse against Alex Neill. Surely time to get one over on him?!

done!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

Deary me. Who are you comparing him to, Harry Kane? How many 'great' finishers are there in the Championship? How many in the PL?

Every striker misses chances. He's not even a striker and he's the top scorer in the Championship. 

Bizarre criticism.

I'm with you on that. A poor finisher doesn't take those chances at Preston and Sheffield in the cup last year.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, 47er said:

This....

16 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

Bizarre criticism.

Its been taken out of context and actually lead to my main point which was praise. I regularly used to defend Armstrong who ended with 28 goals yet seemed to face more criticism than praise due to being "greedy."

He isnt the best finisher youll see even relative to this division, he is not the most clinical. He misses quite a few good chances. But the vast majority of our chances "fall" to him because his movement is really good, and his anticipation is good too. Often he is the sole threat we have because he makes things happen, very rarely does he not have at least one guilt edged chance in a game.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Moptop1 said:

Why would you sign the blues if we were winning? 

In the original song the blues referred to heartbreak. But to Rovers' fans "blues" meant the team (even though our shirts are half white).