BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Sunderland sack Mowbray

Bell was an average at best but often poor left back here for some reason but TMs use of the wing back style was often a bit confusing and never really worked.

Pickering was considered an upgrade even though he has way less pace than Bell and needs protecting at times but is more solid.

When i saw Bell for Luton last season he didn't look much different to when he was here although perhaps improved going forwards.  I guess their style just suited his strengths better and of course the one thing you need about all else in the prem it seems is pace, he has that.

5 hours ago, MarkBRFC said:

I think he gets away with it quite lightly to be honest.

2 points adrift with 15 games to go when he was appointed, and got us out of the bottom 3 twice before allowing us to slip back in there and eventually go down.

All we had to do was beat the mighty Burton Albion in his first game and match there results thereafter.

Despite the high points total, he failed. He was bought in to keep us up, not to get us out of league one 18 months after appointed.

Our midfield back then consisted of Hope Akpan, Liam Feeney and Danny Guthrie. Wes Brown was getting a game. TM didn’t keep us up but look at the tools (literally) he was working with.

I’ve always thought overall he did a fairly decent job with us. The biggest criticism I have is significantly underachieving with the 20/21 team. He overstayed his welcome which soured things as well.

The squad he left behind was vastly superior to the team he inherited despite limited investment in his last couple of years. Also don’t think it should be understated that his appointment enabled the first real period of (relative) stability since relegation from the PL which was desperately needed given the chaos beforehand.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
48 minutes ago, roverandout said:

Beale is hardly an upgrade on Mowbray 

I get the impression a few in office there never really wanted Mowbray.

Although his wailing like when he was here about not being able to compete for promotion unless you spend tens of millions won't have done him any favours.

Think he was always a cheap short term fix in their eyes that unexpectedly over achieved at the end of that season with someone else's squad.  Neil wanted to come back down here and was leaving anyway, TM was local available, guaranteed steady and only needed a phone call.

If they'd have been searching a while in advance i doubt he'd have made anything but the reserve list.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, wilsdenrover said:

Quote from their sporting director (sounds very Broughtonesque)…

He has an excellent and well-founded reputation for developing players and he is an outstanding progressive coach, who is aligned with our playing identity and naturally fits within our structure alongside Mike Dodds and the wider team."

Developing players? At Rangers he spent a fortune on absolute dross. Rangers fans glad to see the back of him. 

• Like 5

To be fair, he did a very good job at QPR before being poached by Rangers, where QPR then went into freefall and have never recovered since.

Didn't work out at Rangers and yes I know several fans who were glad to see him gone, likewise Clement has had the desired effect but I wouldn't write him off just yet.

If I remember correctly, when riding high with QPR, Wolves wanted him in the prem but he turned it down.

On 05/12/2023 at 16:48, DE. said:

I've always thought it was a little churlish for people to blame him for that. Came in to an already weak team that Coyle had wrecked with 7 months of donuts and 5-a-side, yet still ended with a points total that in 95% of Championship seasons would have seen us safe. If Venky's had acted sooner, ideally before feckin' February (mid-way through), we'd probably have scraped survival with Tone. 

His career in the Championship is mostly defined by mid-to-upper-mid-table finishes, and that's about where he is. Would I go out and appoint him if I was Rotherham chairman? Possibly not, but it wouldn't be the worst call for a team like Swansea who need someone to come in and steady the ship without walking into a total disaster.

Personally I've tended to blame Gallagher for us going down. Against Preston, he put a cross into a penalty box with no Rovers players in, instead of holding the ball in the corner and potentially winning a corner, throw in or even giving a throw in away to allow our players to reorganize a bit. Instead Preston put together an attack and scored in the dying seconds of the game. The whole season doesn't rest upon that moment but it was 2 points dropped which could have been very much avoided had he kept his head a bit and made a smart decision. Also it would of kept the momentum and confidence at the time.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Cuppliance said:

Personally I've tended to blame Gallagher for us going down. Against Preston, he put a cross into a penalty box with no Rovers players in, instead of holding the ball in the corner and potentially winning a corner, throw in or even giving a throw in away to allow our players to reorganize a bit. Instead Preston put together an attack and scored in the dying seconds of the game. The whole season doesn't rest upon that moment but it was 2 points dropped which could have been very much avoided had he kept his head a bit and made a smart decision. Also it would of kept the momentum and confidence at the time.

Sound familiar.

1 hour ago, Cuppliance said:

That was costly naivety similar to Hedges last year, albeit the latter wasnt a youngster at the time.

But in a season that Gallagher won us a few points with goals and with Venkys deciding to couple a horrendous (and cheap) appointment of Owen Coyle with the decision to get rid of any player with value in that squad and replace with cheap crap, to blame Gallagher for that relegation is very misplaced.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

That was costly naivety similar to Hedges last year, albeit the latter wasnt a youngster at the time.

But in a season that Gallagher won us a few points with goals and with Venkys deciding to couple a horrendous (and cheap) appointment of Owen Coyle with the decision to get rid of any player with value in that squad and replace with cheap crap, to blame Gallagher for that relegation is very misplaced.

He wasn't blaming Gally for us being relegated. He was blaming Gally for losing us two points in that game. Quite justifide in my opinion.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, D-side17 said:

He said "Personally I've tended to blame Gallagher for us going down."

Yeah that statement was a bit too broad. I didn't word it well and didn't proof read as I was quickly typing up a message before returning to work. But I do appreciate what Gallagher did over the whole season. He will have earned more points than the two he dropped that day but whenever I think about the relegation, I think of that game. If that didn't happen, Mowbray could well have kept us up. I think he did a good job to get us into a position where we nearly stayed up after the Owen Coyle disaster. The naive mistake that Gallagher did that day shouldn't lie on Mowbray getting us relegated. Hope that comes across better?