BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Souness must go ?

rover6

Can you imagine Jim when rovers won the title. He was probably going mad at Kenny and the players for losing the liverpool game.

laugh.gif

As funny as it seems, i do believe Jim was over the moon when we won the title. And i'm sure he was happy that we had a team that not only played well, but was full of fighters who lived and breathed blue and white for those few seasons.

I thhink the problem for Jim is the fact he's watched the club come from an age where we weren't anything special and people played because they loved the club and the people (And the little amounts of money of course) and now the squad seems to be (In his eyes) full of over-paid ponses and an inept manager who can't decide who he wants to play on the left and instead has rows and fall outs with his players.

Now i'm not saying i'm sticking up for jim, but i don't believe for a second he hates seeing us win.

But was full of fighters who lived and breathed blue and white for those few seasons.

You certainly can't take anything away from the players who won the Championship but it's been interesting to read some of the comments from Shearer, Newell, Batty and Sherwood etc in recent years.

All claim to have been part of a drinking culture whilst at the club and were tanked up on numerous occasions with the game in Moscow being the one that sticks me my mind. One of the first team squad claimed they were all tanked up the night before the game which sort of takes the gloss of things for me.

Imagine what we could have won if they'd been sober.......

I'm starting to sound like Jim sad.gif

withstupid.gif just thought id better come on and say i'm sorry

for wanting souy sacked looks like i was wrong i am really

impressed by the way we have turned it around well done

greame and the team from now on i will learn to think before

i shout my mouth off ,again i say sorry

Well done to you for admitting your mistake. As souness has said, he has not changed anything great, its just players have started to perform on the pitch.

It is not a case of turning things round, I think all those who were not calling for Sounesses head recognised that the team had it in them to go on a run. It was not a change at the top that was needed, it was the players and fans needed to get their belief back.

Rovers fans have been very quick to call for a change of manager ever since 94/95. What we need to realise is that sometimes teams have bad seasons. The good thing is that we have the manager and the players that can stop a bad season turning into a disasterous season.

Again I congratulate you on admitting your mistake. rover.gif

Well I never actually went so far as to suggest he should be sacked but after losing a tenth home game I did criticise some of what seemed to be going on at Ewood Park. However, the game cannot be predicted. Fans who are constantly positive are just the same as those who are constantly negative; both will be right some of the time.

It's fantastic that it has so suddenly turned around and I, like I believe many others, will breathe a big sigh of relief when we are completely assured of our safety which hopefully will be next Saturday.

As for predicting we would go on this run...well, Souness wasn't so sure. 'The Premiership' had him saying that he would have taken having to beat Birmingham on the last day to stay up. We were all worried after the Leeds match yet football...it's a funny old game.

We now know what the make-or-break game of our league season was...Fulham away. More than the three points it gave the team belief and we are almost safe.

Despite this...ten home losses (so far) and exits from three cup competitions at the first possible hurdle go a long way to explain why so many fans were so unhappy.

The sooner we can look forward to next season the better...

I too feel the need to post here and apologise to Tugay4England.

Since leaving Emerton in the bench, Rovers have won three straight games, scored six goals and conceded three.

T4E - you were right. It was all Emerton's fault!!!

Since leaving Emerton in the bench, Rovers have won three straight games, scored six goals and conceded three.

Call that an apology?! We've scored seven goals! wink.giftongue.gif

The last three games has been fantastic, but I still believe that Souness has taken this club as far as he could.

I'm hoping he will resign in the summer.....

I think Blackburn Rovers are at the pinicle of their current potential. To say that Souness has taken them as far as he can means that he has to be replaced, and someone else come in! This would be almost impossible!

If you look at the type of side that we are, it is impossible to argue that we deserve to be in a better position than we are. As is acknowledged by all managers in the premiership at some point, any team can beat anyone on their day. The difference between the clubs from 6th to 17th is very little, and this only goes to prove the point. Last season it was us and Everton who were at the top of the mid table sides, this season it is Villa, Charlton, and Fulham.

What Souness has done for us is ensure that we have Premiership football for another season. He has weathered the storm I believe, and will go into next season having learned from the last.

To say that this season has been a failure is over the top. Priority number one is all but achieved. Cups will be played for again next season, but dropping down a league is the only thing in my book that would constitute a season of failure for Rovers. That isnt going to happen, so we have avoided disaster.

What the club really needs at this point is continuity; a change in manager would disrupt what is an evolving team. If you look at the events of last summer with Duff and Dunn leaving, a period of transition was almost inevitable. Souness may have cut it fine, but he and the team have succeeded in keeping this club in a position where it has the potetial to grow.

In my eyes we are still a season or two off stepping it up a level. Yes we were in Europe last season, but we are clearly not a club that can compete at that level yet. Souness recognises that all that is important for Rovers is to be in the Premiership. That is all Blackburn can and should aim for at the moment.

A change of manager therefore would be harmful. Souness is keeping us at the top of our current potential and fulfilling the goal that is required of him. Consistency and a long term plan is what is required. We saw the problems created by short term goals after we won the league. Business guru and allround wise one Jack Walker saw the fact that Rovers won the title a year too early.

Establishing ourselves as a Premiership club is goal number one. Aiming too high has huge implications, as we have seen from Rovers disgruntled home support this season, having a negative effect on home form.

Souness is the man to keep this club moving up. His resignation would be a disaster for Rovers.

AMEN

However I think Souness needs to swallow his pride and get on bended knee and plead with Andy Cole to stay next season, hes my player of the season - hes worked his socks off to keep us within touching distance of safety, he might not be as prolific but hes certainly helping Stead score and setting up others.

How many assists has he got this season?

However I think Souness needs to swallow his pride and get on bended knee and plead with Andy Cole to stay next season

Don't you mean instruct the mardy whinger to see out the remaining year on his contract, if possible without the need for red cards when he fancies a fortnight in Dubai ??

I don't care how good he is on the field (and it's variable IMO) there's no doubt that off it he needs to improve his attitude.

laugh.gif

Imagine how many games we could win if we had a Libero?

T4E - you were right.  It was all Emerton's fault!!!

Call that an apology?! We've scored seven goals! wink.giftongue.gif

4+1+1=7. I must inform UCAS of this.

Whilst I had my doubts about GS's future at Ewood, he seems to have turned the corner and got the best out of his troops.

If it keeps going, then why shouldn't he stay on?

I do note, though, the lack of response from his (permanent) detractors when the team wins.

Let's give the man his dues. Afterall, when the team loses, he cops most of the flack.

But was full of fighters who lived and breathed blue and white for those few seasons.

You certainly can't take anything away from the players who won the Championship but it's been interesting to read some of the comments from Shearer, Newell, Batty and Sherwood etc in recent years.

All claim to have been part of a drinking culture whilst at the club and were tanked up on numerous occasions with the game in Moscow being the one that sticks me my mind. One of the first team squad claimed they were all tanked up the night before the game which sort of takes the gloss of things for me.

Imagine what we could have won if they'd been sober.......

I'm starting to sound like Jim sad.gif

I bet most of the Rovers fans over there would have been in a much worse state and had they not been that hung-over they could have got behind the team in the stadium and we would have won.

Or maybe not.

Well done to you for admitting your mistake. As souness has said, he has not changed anything great, its just players have started to perform on the pitch.

It is not a case of turning things round, I think all those who were not calling for Sounesses head recognised that the team had it in them to go on a run. It was not a change at the top that was needed, it was the players and fans needed to get their belief back.

Rovers fans have been very quick to call for a change of manager ever since 94/95. What we need to realise is that sometimes teams have bad seasons. The good thing is that we have the manager and the players that can stop a bad season turning into a disasterous season.

Again I congratulate you on admitting your mistake. rover.gif

agree!

The last three games has been fantastic, but I still believe that Souness has taken this club as far as he could.

I'm hoping he will resign in the summer.....

I think Blackburn Rovers are at the pinicle of their current potential. To say that Souness has taken them as far as he can means that he has to be replaced, and someone else come in! This would be almost impossible!

If you look at the type of side that we are, it is impossible to argue that we deserve to be in a better position than we are. As is acknowledged by all managers in the premiership at some point, any team can beat anyone on their day. The difference between the clubs from 6th to 17th is very little, and this only goes to prove the point. Last season it was us and Everton who were at the top of the mid table sides, this season it is Villa, Charlton, and Fulham.

What Souness has done for us is ensure that we have Premiership football for another season. He has weathered the storm I believe, and will go into next season having learned from the last.

To say that this season has been a failure is over the top. Priority number one is all but achieved. Cups will be played for again next season, but dropping down a league is the only thing in my book that would constitute a season of failure for Rovers. That isnt going to happen, so we have avoided disaster.

What the club really needs at this point is continuity; a change in manager would disrupt what is an evolving team. If you look at the events of last summer with Duff and Dunn leaving, a period of transition was almost inevitable. Souness may have cut it fine, but he and the team have succeeded in keeping this club in a position where it has the potetial to grow.

In my eyes we are still a season or two off stepping it up a level. Yes we were in Europe last season, but we are clearly not a club that can compete at that level yet. Souness recognises that all that is important for Rovers is to be in the Premiership. That is all Blackburn can and should aim for at the moment.

A change of manager therefore would be harmful. Souness is keeping us at the top of our current potential and fulfilling the goal that is required of him. Consistency and a long term plan is what is required. We saw the problems created by short term goals after we won the league. Business guru and allround wise one Jack Walker saw the fact that Rovers won the title a year too early.

Establishing ourselves as a Premiership club is goal number one. Aiming too high has huge implications, as we have seen from Rovers disgruntled home support this season, having a negative effect on home form.

Souness is the man to keep this club moving up. His resignation would be a disaster for Rovers.

What an excellent post, one which I sort of both agree and disagree with.

I agree with the principle that Rovers need to develop- we have class players in every position bar the left of midfield (one which will hopefully be addressed in the summer), indeed in terms of pesonnel we are superior to a large amount of teams above us. We have been unlucky with injuries and underperformance in vital areas- Emerton stands out particularly being our main midfield attacking threat.

On the other hand it is hard to say Souness is committed to a long term strategy of development, and the aim to compete regularly in the top six- going for the grail of Champions League qualification. He said it himself, if you stand still you fall behind. Fair enough, injuries and so forth have made a nonsense of a consistent team, yet he dosnt give off the air of man who knows where we will be in two years.

Frankly we need a core squad of 14-16 players who are committed to the club and sufficently talented to consistently secure a top eight finish. People will cry this is ridiculous optimism but I will point to the players at our disposal. We have to have confidence in our own ability and the question is whether Souness does. Does Souness think himself calpable of taking us that far, and if he does how does he expect to achieve it? There are a lot of teams on a similar footing to us (Villa, Charlton, Fulham etc.) but the one who is going to make the step up to join Newcastle and Liverpool is going to be the one who wants it most, and is the most prepared to do it.

Top Eight class Players:

Friedel, Niell, Amoruso, Short (getting on a bit), Nissa, Gray, Thompson, Ferguson, Emerton (if he pulls his bloody finger out!), Tugay (getting on a bit), Stead, Cole, Gallagher.

A decent left winger and we hit the fourteen player target. Hopefully younger players such as Reid, Donnelly (dreaming?) and Douglas can make more of an impact next season to take the reigns of the older ones.

Top Eight Class manager:

Souness?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.