BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Souness must go ?

rover6

Souness is not the only manager who rants on the touchline but he is passionate and I would rather have that than someone standing dead-pan there.

So he falls out with players from time to time. That's life, however much you think of other people it's a natural happening, people can't agree all of the time, we're all different! It's just that our fallings out don't make the headlines!

I am racking my brains trying to think of anyone I would really hate to be manager of Rovers, well there are one or two I would prefer not to see there but nothing would turn me against the club or the team, I would still be a supporter.

Nothing wrong with Jan supporting two teams, after all they are not even in the same country. As for Jan's commitment to Rovers I don't think anyone can doubt it, travelling hundreds of miles as she does.

And she has every right to have an opinion on Souness as we all have. Just not sure if it's always for Rovers related reasons!

No one is questioning that right but when all she can post after a match like that is more anti-Souness rubbish or pro-Celtic stuff then I think we can question. In fact I think we can say a lot more and some of the reponses have been restrained.

First and foremost this is a Blackburn Rovers messageboard. We have plenty of fans on here who support other teams. No others ram their own teams 'success' down our throats or are so bitter about our manager though.

If as you say the Souness' opinion is for non-Rovers reasons' which I agree on, then it has no place on here and the less said the better.

Whilst it's been said all season by the management that the time for recriminations is not now but at the end of the season, it would have been relatively pointless doing it from Division one at which point the club that Jack built would have been more or less killed off. That's why many of us have been particularly vocal about what we've seen this season in the hope of seeing some improvement.

So whilst I am absolutely delighted that we've finally shown the inclination and ability to battle after thirty two games it's still not really acceptable as far as I'm concerned, I want to see the team fired up and motivated for every game. I'm still far from convinced Souness has the ability to do this, but will be delighted to hold my hands up if he's still in charge and that happens next season.

I'm sorry, but if you think today's win makes me want Souness to stay, you're mad. The ONLY good thing was the three points. If we'd played ANY other team and put up that performance, we'd have been TANKED- we were only fortunate that they were as bad as I've seen for a long time.

I hope you all find the mythical players that Souness can get on with- because I'd guess the larger part of the squad will be off in the summer for little or no fee.

Emerton continues to be one of the biggest pigs in a poke I've seen, and while Shorty was immense today, he didn't really have any opposition (a half-fit Les Ferdinand and a midget (dick-off)

Enjoy the Premiership next season. If you can!! Hope some of you are still ALIVE when the perennially unfit get back (do we actually HAVE a player called Thompson- or has been injured since we bought him?). I'll be going to the rounds of the Champion's League until such times as he's gone. (ie after he starts next season as badly as this one's ending- and as there will only be old ex-Rangers players around when he's alienated everyone else, GOOD LUCK!)

I think someone has got a little crush...

We have in my opinion one of the best managers in the country, and the worst part about being relegated would have been the probable departure of Souness, and the grim prospect of a manager of his quality taking over a Nationwide team.

Now that we seem to be avoiding that eventuality, it's time to rid ourselves of this ridiculous thread and get on with planning for next season.

I couldn't name any other Premiership manager who would have the bottle to sign a Division 3 forward and throw him straight into a desperate situation like we were in.

This time next year we will be laughing at this thread.

the one question, without meaning to cause any offence what-so-ever, is - is it only after the leicester match that you have noted/recognized souness' involvement in the game? for me he has shown all season that he is thoroughly engrossed, giving 100% to the cause and showing his shear frustration and love for the club when things dont go in the way of the team.

No offence taken and in answer to your question, no the Leicester game isnt the first time that Ive noted his commitment. You would need to be a blind man not to have noticed Souness's antics on the touchline from the day he joined the club.

Its just following the pre match remarks by Gilbert the Filbert and Jan's post I thought it was in context to include my observations within my post regarding the Leicester match bearing in mind comments made by the Leicester fan and the tie up between Rovers players now at Leicester.

You would need to be a blind man not to have noticed Souness's antics on the touchline from the day he joined the club.

while that is indeed true, what i meant to emphasise was peoples recognition of souness' love and passion for the club, as opposed to his comitment as manager, which is evident within his antics and thus also in context with the comments made pre match.

Edited by tcj_jones

Who are you going to replace him with, oh ####-for-brains?

Interesting that Sidders didn't repeat his foul-mouthed abuse to the likes of Paul, RevidgeBlue, Philipl, AlanK, Bryan and Scotty amongst others, who have all at some stage called for Souness to go.

But then again, Sidders prefers to have a small select group of targets for his cheeky abuse. I'm firmly on his list - he's got a real bee in his bonnet about me, not that it unduly bothers me that much.

He was nicknamed "Cheeky Sidders" when he was a 14 year old schoolboy. Fair enough, but isn't it sad that a grown man in his 30's, still wants to carry on in the same vein....

Maybe he's got a big grin on his face when he's making his "cheeky" comments.

Edited by Anti Euro Smiths Fan

It's interesting how people change from Souness must go to Souness is brilliant after 2 games. To be fair just after the Leeds game things were looking very dire. Anyone who witnessed the Portsmouth, Liverpool or Leeds games will tell you that it was relegation form from a very uninspiring team. Each game was a massive game for the club, especially the home games, and after the performances delivered it was only natural to question why such poor performances in such crucial games. Tactically and motivationally Rovers seemed lacking and the buck stops with Souness. Granted the players weren't holding their end of the bargain, but it appeared the manager wasn't performing either. Based on the back of a poor season up till then many who had not previously called for Souness's head, the majority without a chip on their shoulder or an axe to grind, should not be blamed or heavily criticised for this misjudgement, the reaction was appropriate in the bleak situation.

After the last two results I'm convinced we'll stay up, there's too many teams near the bottom to all play their way out of trouble, as well as our recent upturn in form mean we'll pick up a few more points just to make sure we'll survive. Souness should take a lot of credit for both results, no one would have gone for the team he chose, and it paid of big time.

I never thought the board would sack Souness, based mainly on his past achievements. And up until after the Leeds game my faith in Souness remained pretty strong and I still consider myself pro-Souness. However the weaknesses of Souness are becoming more apparent leaving me to wonder whether this is the beginning of the end.

My main bugbear with Souness is his disregard for certain positions. Last season it was left back, this season left midfield. This to me is criminal, and although now the formation is more suited to playing without a left mid it shouldn't have taken till crisis point to make such a change. I've ranted about this elsewhere.

The second biggest concern I have is the falling out with players. Whilst Dunnie appears to be an arogant muppet he's Rovers through and through and you wonder whether another manager might have managed to get more out of Dunn; after all if you can't get a player performing his best for the club he supports, then the manager may have motivational problems (although the same should be said about Dunn.) The Cole and Todd situations also did more harm then good, especially since they have been two of our top performers this season. It's not like they were not pulling their weight or inconsistent. You have to question how such fallings out would ever benefit the team. At least with fall outs with players like Yorke it might force them to perform.

You can't really fault many of the transfer's Souey's made. Only Grabbi has flopped, Emerton and Gresko on paper seemed very shrewd buys, and it's more the players than the manager's fault. Add to this the real bargains we've had, Tugay, Friedel etc you can't really complain. However, whether we brought the players we really needed is another matter. Grey and Stead are both excelent buys, but perhaps what we really needed was a centre back with pace and a left midfielder. Souness buys well but perhaps not always for the right position.

What does annoy me is the high squad turnover, especially this season. As another member posted this team has little resemblence to the team that has had had the success of the past three seasons. By not keeping to the if it ain't broke don't fix it rule Souness has tactically erred and the time take for everyone to gell may have cost us success this season. A good example of this is Hignett, no more than a squad player, nevertheless he always did a job for us - or at least got the goals. His replacement Baggio did naff all at greater expense. Although Hignett wouldn't have filled in for Dunn like Ferguson has as a squad player, I know who I'd rather have.

Finally there's our defending. Let's be honest it's pants. Ok we kept a clean sheet, but Leceister aren't very good. Bt even in the Fulham game we let in three and the rest of the season hasn't been all that plesant defensively either. This really needs sorting out, and there aren't many indications that it's going to get much better. Short's not long left and Babbel, Neill, Gresko and Amo have been inconsistent.

I'm not saying Souness should go but that there are some worrying signs there. Fortunately there have been signs that Souness is beginning to recognise these mistakes. The lack of a left winger has seen a change in formation, Amo might not be as terrible as first thought, Souness issues a form of apology for the bust ups and I can't see any full scale changes next term. Hopefully Souness will continue to rectify these errors that have contributed to a poor season.

Indeed based on the last 3 seasons, where we more than exceeded my expectations he deserves to be in charge next season. Three out of four good seasons is still an impressive ratio. The circumstances of this season have contributed to a poor season too, nasty injuries, lots of new players settling in and a total absence of luck, still no penalties, would have hindered any team. We know the players have the quality, we know the manager still has the quality and we can't be so blighted by circumstances next season. So let's get behind the team and see us finish much higher next season.

That's a great post blue blood.

I would add the consistent failure to get results against battling (read bad) sides.

I hate saying this but I do feel that Souey is near the end of his effectiveness for the Rovers. It could be the best for all concerned if the board were to take a very brave decision this summer and move on to someone with better man management skills, sharper tactical awareness and an insistence on top fitness levels.

Souness has his faults, like any manager, and this season they have been more apparent, but I still back him 100%. His disputes with players? He's always come out on top really. Dunn we got as good a price as you could imagine, Cole, I really think he's playing better now and seems more committed to the cause, Todd, well he was crap when we bought him and nobody liked him, so whatever Souness did to him seems to have worked. This season hasn't been great, but there should be no question about Souness' position at the club. I think this summer should be the time that we judge him, and see if the players he buys seem like they will solve the problems we have had, the kind we have all been calling for. If he goes out and gets another young striker (doesn't have to if he has very limited funds but it is quite important), a left midfielder (HAS to), a youngish central defender and probably one more central midfielder (Izzet) then I for one will say that Souey seems to be trying to solve those problems. This was our rebuilding season, at least that's how I see it in that glass half full sort of way, and I really feel that next season we could come back better then ever. If we are in the position we are in now a year from now, then I'll just stop posting.

I have heard lots of complaints about Souness's buying policy - but lets look it with realistic eyes :-

Centre half - yes we all agree we need one, but he did buy Amo (not a favourite of mine, but has been good in the last two matches) and Babbel. For a club of our limited budget what do you expect ? Also, who could have predicted that rather than progressing into a quality Premiership defender (as we all hoped) Taylor would actually go backwards (to the extent that I actually agreed with his sale to Birmingham Rovers - something I would never have thought imaginable).

Left Wing - we started the season with two options, Thompson and Reid. I agree with most people on this message board that we have lacked balance this season. But Thompson was a star for Coventry playing left wing (something that I am sure was on GS mind) and Reid had played in that position for Millwall. Also, in a more confident team (and playing better himself) Gresko has the athletic ability to join the attack to provide balance. Then you need to look at who was actually available - for me Reid from Forest was by far the best candidate - but £6m for a player untried at Premiership level huh.gif Ultimately good left wingers cost a fortune (I think Chelsea got Duff on the cheap) - and even if we had the money who could he have reasonably bought to replace Duff ?

Then you need to look at who was actually available - for me Reid from Forest was by far the best candidate - but £6m for a player untried at Premiership level  huh.gif Ultimately good left wingers cost a fortune (I think Chelsea got Duff on the cheap) - and even if we had the money who could he have reasonably bought to replace Duff ?

Andy Reid wouldn't have cost anywhere near that at the start of the season. There were still other players available though: McFadden, Etherington, Gray, Berger...all well within our budget.

I think he was quite naive to think that a right footed player on the left would work, there are very few players who can do it succesfully in the top leagues and those that can are usually world class players.

If you could guarantee that Souey would buy a left winger in the summer then I would be behind him too...however I think he will be too stubborn and will try people out of position again. sad.gif

Edited by LeChuck

Tremendous post Blue Blood - one of the best I've read on here for a while.

For what it's worth I don't agree with everything you say, and I think I'm inclined to heap more blame on Souness than you are for this season's woes, but you stated your case superbly.

We have in my opinion one of the best managers in the country, and the worst part about being relegated would have been the probable departure of Souness, and the grim prospect of a manager of his quality taking over a Nationwide team.

Now that we seem to be avoiding that eventuality, it's time to rid ourselves of this ridiculous thread and get on with planning for next season.

I couldn't name any other Premiership manager who would have the bottle to sign a Division 3 forward and throw him straight into a desperate situation like we were in.

This time next year we will be laughing at this thread.

To judge from this correspondent's predicting record, that's Souness out of a job next season.

I would also say that if Souness had had his way, we would have Brian McBride and not Jonathan Stead in our attack.

Souness is a lucky man if he manages to hold on to his job. This thread will run and run if he does.

Jim did you want to buy Stead? How about Friedel? Tugay? Gresko (at least last season? Cole? The list can go on and on (well to a good length) of excellent buys, players who have served the club well at times when they were needed. Yes, he's made one or two mistakes, and yes, he's yet to fill one or two positions, but considering the good job he's done in the past with bringing in players to do exactly what the club needs (yes yes, this time its taken him a while but everyone knows getting a good left midfielder is the hardest task there is basically), I'm quite confident that he will go on to do it again. I'm sure you are very good at predicting scores, but if you had been right, wouldn't we have been relegated by now?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.