BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Souness must go ?

rover6

I think it's hard to predict what McBride might have done for us but with the beauty of hindsight we can all thank god that Stead did the job.

What puzzles me is why we went for Stead. McBride was the type of player (strong in the air, can hold the ball and score a few) Rovers has cried for seasons and we nearly got one during the Hodgson era in Dublin but ended up with Blake. Souness saw this and went for McBride, so he turned us down but why did he then switch attention to a player he never saw and is clearly not the type he wanted. It seems to me that he was so down by the whole saga and desperate for a new striker he would have taken anyone but luckily it ended well.

I think the main advantage we have with Stead is the sell on value. As he is so young we could have him for 5 years and still sell him on for a huge profit. If we had signed McBride the sell on fee would be non existent due to his age.

After the McBride debacle I kind of grew a bit despondent and in the few days I didn't check the internet for footie news, we had suddenly signed this young chap from Huddersfield. I chalked it up to a scouted youth being snatched up as the contingency option after McBride went to Fulham. But posts on here seem to intimate that Souey had a look at the boy's resume (CV?) and signed him. I'd hope he at least had a pub mate's word that Stead could do some good, but who knows...Desperation very definitely played a large role in Stead's signing, whether scouted or not

I've read three stories about Blackburn Rovers today in the media.

1) Andy Todd, my player of the season until a month ago, has been told he can leave the club in the summer following a bust-up with Souness.

2) Souness has been arrested and charged following an "altercation" with a relative. He faces a court hearing in July. I assume that if he's found guilty a custodial scentence, although unlikely, isn't out of the question.

3) Souness faces an FA hearing on May 13th following the incident where he asked Graham Poll "I didn't know you were a Spurs fan?". I've no doubt that he'll be found guilty, fined, and banned from the touchline for a series of games.

Whatever your opinions of Souness, or whatever opinions you have about the individual stories I've mentioned above, what can't be denied is that none of this is good news for Blackburn Rovers FC.

Edited by Scotty

1) Todd was in the wrong and is arguably not good enough.

2) No relevance whatsoever.

3) Not the first time, won't be the last, one if his less harsh outbursts to be honest but unfortunate that it was the winker that is Poll rather than soemone with a sense of humour. You show me a manager that doesn;t lose his rag with officials and question them and i'll show you an unemployed manager.

Whatever your opinions of Souness, or whatever opinions you have about the individual stories I've mentioned above, what can't be denied is that none of this is good news for Blackburn Rovers FC.

I've said it before, the Rovers PR is non existent, all we hear is the bad stuff. Anytime Rovers is mentioned in the news is when there's been a bust up etc. Rovers need to start sending out some good stories or the decline in ST sales will suffer once again. If they don't have money to hire some PR staff, just have a look at Bolton and see what they've done.

rover.gif whatever your opinions of Sounesss, you cannot deny he is a passionate man who cares, we needed a few with his passion on the pitch this season and maybe we would have been a lot higher up the table han we are.

yeah Souy you rock. rover.gif

don't change!!!!!!!

What puzzles me is why we went for Stead. McBride was the type of player (strong in the air, can hold the ball and score a few) Rovers has cried for seasons and we nearly got one during the Hodgson era in Dublin but ended up with Blake. Souness saw this and went for McBride, so he turned us down but why did he then switch attention to a player he never saw and is clearly not the type he wanted. It seems to me that he was so down by the whole saga and desperate for a new striker he would have taken anyone but luckily it ended well.

Think you'll find that we had been watching Stead since last Season (inc Souness I think) so it wasn't a bolt out of the blue.

Think? huh.gif I posted this on here before we signed him, and mentioned since Souness had had him watched for quite a while, so the likelihood is we would have ended up getting Stead (probably at the end of the season) regardless of the Mcbride situation.

Think you'll find that we had been watching Stead since last Season (inc Souness I think) so it wasn't a bolt out of the blue.

Think? huh.gif I posted this on here before we signed him, and mentioned since Souness had had him watched for quite a while, so the likelihood is we would have ended up getting Stead (probably at the end of the season) regardless of the Mcbride situation.

Didn't he say last week, that he didn't watch Stead live, just saw him on tapes after he was recommended by his scout/source/etc.

3) Souness faces an FA hearing on May 13th following the incident where he asked Graham Poll "I didn't know you were a Spurs fan?". I've no doubt that he'll be found guilty, fined, and banned from the touchline for a series of games.

so it will be something like 6 months since the offence before the FA take any action ??

Souness has only got into trouble for saying what most of us were thinking.

As for 78's views on Stead, I think its highly likely that with only a few days left in the transfer window, and the previous 2 months lining up McBride, that Souness watched plenty of videos of strikers in that time, and was impressed by what he saw. I'd have thought that our scouts would have checked him out before then as well to help in the decision, but he probably had little time to check him out personally. I think it was Bob Fleming who mentioned that he saw a set of clips on sky sports when he signed, which included him scoring with his left, right, head and all well taken finishes. We basically stole him from Sunderlands hands, look back at the comments from Bob Murray around that time as they were not happy.

Souness watched plenty of videos of strikers in that time, and was impressed by what he saw.  I'd have thought that our scouts would have checked him out before then as well to help in the decision, but he probably had little time to check him out personally.    I think it was Bob Fleming who mentioned that he saw a set of clips on sky sports when he signed, which included him scoring with his left, right, head and all well taken finishes.    We basically stole him from Sunderlands hands, look back at the comments from Bob Murray around that time as they were not happy.

That's right Ste. He looked good enough for me and that's just from a two minute clip of his goals on Sky Sports. Sure, Souness should have given me a call to ask for a second opinion (we don't have wide screen) but ultimately it's all turned out nice in the end and every credit to him for that. There's plenty to criticise or argue about the man but the signing of Steadinho surely isn't an issue.

"There's plenty to criticise or argue about the man but the signing of Steadinho surely isn't an issue."

Except that his first choice was Brian McBride.

Edited by jim mk2

Yeah I know. Let it go. It's happened. Enjoy it. We're stopping up, we've a cracking player up front in Stead, we've Gallagher coming through as well, we've just beaten Man Utd, those clowns down the M65 are in a right old mess, we're getting rid of some of the "dead wood" in the summer and may even get a couple of good players in, including a left winger.

It's not easy for some of us I know, but just try being happy for a bit! biggrin.gif

"There's plenty to criticise or argue about the man but the signing of Steadinho surely isn't an issue."

but that does make sense, McBribe is proven in the premier league he got 6 in 9 games last season, Stead was a huge gamble, a huge risk, maybe Souness would have still signed him in the summer, but had to think about short term future first.

McBribe may have not got 6 goals but I have seen him score two brilliant goals for Fulham

• 4 weeks later...
rover.gif i still think souness should pay the ultimate price for last season's failure's,but luck is showing a good turn so far this year,brian macbride picking mighty fulham over us,which turned our wizard in the transfer market too STEAD,and now the fantastic news that TUGAY our playmaker supreme is likely to go home to the turkish league,do not get me wrong tugay had been superb in the 1st 2 season's in the premier but last seaon was one season too far,my lasting memory of tugay was when he chipped the ball over keane's head in our 2-1 defeat at gold trafford 1st season back,superb class from a magic player. tinykit.gif ps what will souey do now RAE has joined the ger's biggrin.gif

Luck having your main midfield players Ferguson and Thompson injured???

Also Tugay along with others got us into the relegation mess but not so sure without him we would of stayed up...He certainly pulled his weight and was superb in the games we had to pick up points.

Also Tugay along with others got us into the relegation mess but not so sure without him we would of stayed up...He certainly pulled his weight and was superb in the games we had to pick up points.

rover.gif this year starts on jan the 1st john not in december tinykit.gif

There's plenty to criticise or argue about the man but the signing of Steadinho surely isn't an issue.

You obviously can't criticise Souness for the signing of Stead, but does anyone else agree that Souness just got very very lucky with it? I think it was more of a lucky signing than an inspired/asutue buy.

It's the old chestnut though...if you want rid who do we bring in? The only managers I remember you mentioning are Mark Hughes, who despite some impressive results in friendlies has still ultimately failed to get Wales into Euro 2004 and instead snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

You say Tugay can no longer do it; well, he could do it a month ago so when exactly did he go past it? There is no reason to think that as long as he used a bit more sparingly in future rather than playing every game. Tugay has always been inconsistent for us, if he wasn't inconsistent he would be at a bigger club.

You've said Cole is lazy in the past and doesn't give a damn about the club. The second part may be true but where do you get the first one? It certainly isn't from watching the games. I've watched Cole countless times and he's always seemed commited and has had no problem working his socks off. Despite him being our best player this year (that has been here all season) you have said on another thread you'd be happy if he left. Why? Let's sell all our best players and sack Souness for Peter Reid eh?

While I'd have no problem wanting Souness to leave if we were having another poor season later on, surely we should give him a chance to rectify the wrongs? He's overperformed with Rovers at times; winning a cup and sixth place so soon after the depths of the Kidd regime? We want someone to take us up the league; Souness has already done that. It only makes sense to see if he can repeat that before realising he can't and then sacking him which would cost us a fortune in compensation.

Souness has to improve. We know that. If he doesn't there be calls for his head. To suggest not giving him the chance to put right his wrongs after such an impressive preformance before this season is too much, too soon. Basing Souness on his entire record at Rovers rather than kneejerk reactions to latest results.

waggy- I'll just say that you have consistently held your views and I respect that, unlike some members of this board you haven't popped on to say "told you so" after every single Rovers defeat. You make your case better than most.

It's the old chestnut though...if you want rid who do we bring in? The only managers I remember you mentioning are Mark Hughes, who despite some impressive results in friendlies has still ultimately failed to get Wales into Euro 2004 and instead snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

You say Tugay can no longer do it; well, he could do it a month ago so when exactly did he go past it? There is no reason to think that as long as he used a bit more sparingly in future rather than playing every game. Tugay has always been inconsistent for us, if he wasn't inconsistent he would be at a bigger club.

You've said Cole is lazy in the past and doesn't give a damn about the club. The second part may be true but where do you get the first one? It certainly isn't from watching the games. I've watched Cole countless times and he's always seemed commited and has had no problem working his socks off. Despite him being our best player this year (that has been here all season) you have said on another thread you'd be happy if he left. Why? Let's sell all our best players and sack Souness for Peter Reid eh?

While I'd have no problem wanting Souness to leave if we were having another poor season later on, surely we should give him a chance to rectify the wrongs? He's overperformed with Rovers at times; winning a cup and sixth place so soon after the depths of the Kidd regime? We want someone to take us up the league; Souness has already done that. It only makes sense to see if he can repeat that before realising he can't and then sacking him which would cost us a fortune in compensation.

Souness has to improve. We know that. If he doesn't there be calls for his head. To suggest not giving him the chance to put right his wrongs after such an impressive preformance before this season is too much, too soon. Basing Souness on his entire record at Rovers rather than kneejerk reactions to latest results.

waggy- I'll just say that you have consistently held your views and I respect that, unlike some members of this board you haven't popped on to say "told you so" after every single Rovers defeat. You make your case better than most.

Excellent post although IMO whilst Cole's been good he's still been inconsistent and needed the presence of another performing striker to regain his form - which is fair enough.

Think there's been underlying problems for quite some time - mainly the ability to ignore certain positions and the tendency to fall out with players. However all managers have their downsides and as long as the good outweighs the bad - as it has for 3 out of 4 seasons then we should stick with Souness.

i agree with that 4lane...crazy to do that. well it aint happened yet...and lets hope that it does not. the way that stead and cole play together and have new found respect for eachother aswell...was for me ipitomised at spurs, jsut before they kicked off...when they both slapped eachothers hand and a firm handshake it was.....to say "come on"......that is the sign that the other is playing for his strike partner aswell.

Souness is a living legend and our best manager since big KD. This season he's done a great job in what was always going to be a transistional season after we lost Damo Duff. As it was, even in the lowest of the low points of the season, we still weren't as bad as the three relegated sides.

If any of you goons on this board were manager at Ewood we'd sink without trace you're all so doom and gloom - get a life and look on the bright side all of you.

This season Souey has been

1) The architect of an excellent away record with some memorable victories

2) Showed he takes a risk on youth - bringing two players into the first team who have both excelled

3) Uncovered a gem in John Stead (the best buy of any Premiership manager). Admittedly was his second choice but would you rather sign a proven Premiership and international goalscorer or an unproven third division player with lots of potential?

4) We beat Man Utd again home

5) Made some other excellent signings, Amorouso proved all his doubters, Ferguson is a class act who will be great next season, Gray was superb at left back, Emerton will definitely prove his worth next season (and he didnt do too badly this season either, just that most on here are too blind to have seen all his assists, hard work and endeavour for the team)

6) Got rid of players who weren't fulfilling their potential like Taylor and Grabbi

7) We beat Man Utd!

8) He got the victories when it mattered the most, even with a severely depleted midfield and defence

9) Did i mention we beat Man United?

So get behind the team and our superb manager!

COME ON YOU BLUES!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.