BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Pedersen Bid

• Replies 552
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I'm not really much into languages either. Didn't pass Spanish with much of a margin, and although I did get a ~B (We have a crap grading system) in my latest French course I still don't know very much. I'm finding English quite easy though, and I'll take some English class in uni later on, hopefully going to study for a year or so in England (Or maybe the US, not sure)

Well if we miss out on Pederson we've only ourselves to blame after announcing we were going to bid for two players nearly a week ago (one of whom was obviously Pederson) thereby issuing an open invitation to other clubs to steam in and spoil the party.

The only news that should have come out was after the deal had been done and dusted.

It's getting scary this Rev, I beleive I indicated the same on another thread.

Edited by USABlue

Very nice, but what do the last several post have to do with the signing of Pedersen.

I was wondering that. It's not as if Souey will have to speak Norwegian in order to sign the guy!!

...He can just shout "I'LL....HAVE....ONE....OF....THOSE....PLEASE!" and point at Pedersen.

That tactic has never let me down... oh except when I wanted a pint of lager in Portugal and got a very greasy omelette. That was disappointing.

Not that its relevant but i agree totally with the languages thing. Yes some of us can speak more than one other language, but not enough of us. It makes me ashamed to be english. sad.gif

Don't worry, most English people are ashamed you're English, too...

Not that its relevant but i agree totally with the languages thing. Yes some of us can speak more than one other language, but not enough of us. It makes me ashamed to be english.  sad.gif

Don't worry, most English people are ashamed you're English, too...

biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Not that its relevant but i agree totally with the languages thing. Yes some of us can speak more than one other language, but not enough of us. It makes me ashamed to be english. sad.gif

A lot of people gave their lives to make sure you had a choice of speaking English. Still, if you are so ashamed perhaps you think we should have thrown in the towel in WWII. At least then we could be speaking German AND another language.

Never read a bigger load of tripe in my life. What about the football, mods will you shut this crap down or move it if they want to go on about other stuff.

Besides a lot of English people speak foreign languages, Indian and Pakistani, Iraqi, Iranian, Bosnian and more than the odd bit of Chinese, to name but a few.

Back on topic... I know Portsmouth had problems with getting Donovan because the MLS has a different set of transfer windows than Europe. Would this be the case with Norway as well? I'd think we wouldn't be able to get him at the end of their season because the FA's transfer window would be shut at that point. If we had to wait until August, would the Norwegian transfer window still be open?

A lot of people gave their lives to make sure you had a choice of speaking English. Still, if you are so ashamed perhaps you think we should have thrown in the towel in WWII. At least then we could be speaking German AND another language.

Never read a bigger load of tripe in my life. What about the football, mods will you shut this crap down or move it if they want to go on about other stuff.

Besides a lot of English people speak foreign languages, Indian and Pakistani, Iraqi, Iranian, Bosnian and more than the odd bit of Chinese, to name but a few.

I had a really good response to this load of crap, but I figured the mods wouldn't like it very much.

And how ironic to have someone needlessly bring WW2 into this, make a nonexistent point, and then urge people to gon on topic? After which he goes off topic yet again...

Well you are the one writing the tripe- none of those you name are languages laugh.gif

You could at least learn ONE other language wink.gif Some other big language like French, Spanish or German. Apart from Swedish and English I've also taken Spanish and French at school. Can't say I speak either of those very well tho.

Btw, is it mandatory in English schools to learn another language apart from English? From the general knowledge (Or lack thereof) of foreign languages I'd venture a guess at "No", but it'd be nice to know.

At my secondary school German was mandatory for all five years and French was forced upon the top two sets (there were several sets, the higher you were obviously the smarter you were tongue.gif ) in the second and third years. There was then an option to carry French on for the final two years, and you'd have to continue learning German alongside. I passed French (got me a certificate thumbs-up.gif ) but I hated it because, well it's pants! I also got an A* in German, so I was pretty proficient. Emphasis on was though, as I've not spoken it for three years now - I'd struggle to order a drink now! In my defence nobody speaks German in England, there's no way of keeping yourself speaking it to a reasonable level.

Oh and erm....Pedersen (whoops nearly made him Swedish, or whatever the o instead of the e would make him!), hmmmm, yes, interesting (for all you whiners out there!).

Edited by Exiled_Rover

A lot of people gave their lives to make  sure you had a choice of speaking English.  Still, if you are so ashamed perhaps you think we should have thrown in the towel in WWII.  At least then we could be speaking German AND another language.

Never read a bigger load of tripe in my life.  What about the football, mods will you shut this crap down or move it if they want to go on about other stuff.

Well you are the one writing the tripe- none of those you name are languages laugh.gif

Well there is that..... laugh.gif

Mrs F can speak French, German and Italian. She actually teaches French and German. She's a smart arse. I can speak English but I am able to order drinks in most European Countries (with some prompting and the aid of an English speaking barmaid / barman). None of which is going to help us land Pedersen by the way but there there you go. Just out of interest what's Norwegian for "Look Pedersen what do you want to do? Stop here or go and play in the Premier League for Blackburn Rovers? Come on fella it's not too hard a decision is it?"

"Hei, Pedersen, hva vil du gjøre? Bli her eller gå å spille i Premier League for Blackburn Rovers? Kom igjen kompis, det er ikke en altfor vanskelig beslutning er det vel?"

Enjoy biggrin.gif

Edited by herbergeehh

Sorry I was going to reply but then I realised thread ISN'T afterall called SHOULD ENGLISH PEOPLE BE TAUGHT/BE FORCED TO SPEAK ANOTHER LANGUAGE.

Eiher start a thread on that or talk about what we're supposed to because this is getting boring. mad.gif

A lot of people gave their lives to make  sure you had a choice of speaking English.  Still, if you are so ashamed perhaps you think we should have thrown in the towel in WWII.  At least then we could be speaking German AND another language.

Never read a bigger load of tripe in my life.  What about the football, mods will you shut this crap down or move it if they want to go on about other stuff.

Then please oh omniscient one, educate me. Next you will be saying Lancy twang is not English.

BTW I understand that not all the languages are named after the country of origin, I was just trying to keep it simple.

Edited by USABlue

Back off topic

I don't think its a great thing to speak another language, it's just a personal preference. I dropped languages at 16 and went on to do other things that interested me more and would further develop my intended career. And Im sure most people felt the same as these days its not really a pre requisite for many jobs

I had a really good response to this load of crap, but I figured the mods wouldn't like it very much.

And how ironic to have someone needlessly bring WW2 into this, make a nonexistent point, and then urge people to gon on topic? After which he goes off topic yet again...

Goes to show what people will respond to. Obviously I felt the need to bring that into things. You feel differently, we are allowed to do that, and say that and write that. Understand? Somehow doubt it.

You might not see the link, no one else might see the link, hell everyone else might think I'm nuts, I don't care (oops am I off topic) Pedersen (back on) Going off topic again, yes you got me wrapped up into the silly goings on about languages, sorry, what about Pedersen.

Regarding the languages- other than English they aren't much use if you aren't going to go to countries that speak them. While many English go abroad on holiday many end up staying in largely Anglophile areas such as Magaluf, Benidorm, Tenerife etc etc where most people in the tourist industry speak English anyway. It's not arrogant to not speak a second language if you are never going to use it. Although I am soon to learn a second language I don't think those who don't should be thought of as being Little Englanders.

Regarding Pederson- as a left winger would Souness make sure not to play a right winger due to his aversion to having two wingers? Or is Pederson (I'm asking any of the members who have seen how he plays) also good at defensive duties?

Oh..and is he worth the reported £1.5million that he would supposedly cost?

Edited by FourLaneBlue

Yes languages are important for jobs. Language graduates are the most employable and are in the lowest unemployed group according to official figures. Also it IS ignorant to visit a place and not learn a few words to be polite. Even if people in tourist resorts do speak english, they appreciate a little effort, i should know as ive worked in these places.

Or is Pederson (I'm asking any of the members who have seen how he plays) also good at defensive duties?

Oh..and is he worth the reported £1.5million that he would supposedly cost?

He has a great attitude, and works his socks off. He take long def. runs, giving 110% no mather if its attacking or defencive work.

He is worth £1,5 mill! He is young an unproven in PL, but if we even have to pay £2 mill, he is worth the gamble. He has all the qualities to do well. Clever runs, good pace, good skills, great attitude, willing to learn, hard working, great free kicks and good finishing! The only negative, is that he is unproven at PL leavel. Anyway, he is a LEFT WINGER!!!! Get him!

Sorry I was going to reply but then I realised thread ISN'T afterall called SHOULD ENGLISH PEOPLE BE TAUGHT/BE FORCED TO SPEAK ANOTHER LANGUAGE.

Eiher start a thread on that or talk about what we're supposed to because this is getting boring. mad.gif

Well said shillito.

So tell me, what do you think of the new Accy Stanley Nike kit? They must be making a fair bit out of that. I might get one.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.