BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Pedersen Bid

• Replies 552
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that we've just as good a chance as Villa as getting him. From his point of view he's more likely to be guarenteed a first team place - let's face it he's no competition at all. Also Villa are not much more likely to win anything than Rovers, indeed we've had more success than them over the last few seasons. Not sure how badly Villa want him, he's hardly neccessary for the team, so might not make as much of an effort to get him. Hopefully Stig can put in a word for us.

Guardian says O'Leary had him watched on Thursday and will be putting in a £2m bid. Prepare for disappointment.

With Barry and Whittingham, I don't see why O'Leary wants another left winger.

But then again, it was O'Leary who decided he needed Robbie Fowler when he already had about 403 strikers on the Leeds roster. So you never know.

And that combined with O'Leary's quote from earlier this season (can't find the whole thing, but I distinctly remember him uttering something about wanting to "do a Leeds" with Aston Villa) is what pisses me off.

I like O'Leary and think he's a pretty good manager, but he certainly gets a little trigger-happy with transfer money. I would hate to see him ruin Rovers' chances to sign Pedersen because of his "kid in a candy shop" mentality on spending money on new players.

Well if we miss out on Pederson we've only ourselves to blame after announcing we were going to bid for two players nearly a week ago (one of whom was obviously Pederson) thereby issuing an open invitation to other clubs to steam in and spoil the party.

The only news that should have come out was after the deal had been done and dusted.

Well if we miss out on Pederson we've only ourselves to blame after announcing we were going to bid for two players nearly a week ago (one of whom was obviously Pederson) thereby issuing an open invitation to other clubs to steam in and spoil the party.

The only news that should have come out was after the deal had been done and dusted.

Weren't you having a go recently for all the negative publicity coming out of Ewood and how it might affect season ticket sales? Well, I suspect the club thought that publicising the fact that we're after two players may just help sales.

You can't have it both ways.

Weren't you having a go recently for all the negative publicity coming out of Ewood and how it might affect season ticket sales? Well, I suspect the club thought that publicising the fact that we're after two players may just help sales.

Fair comment although news of a concrete bidhaving been made/a done deal would have been even more beneficial.

pedersen scored a goal after 1 min in the match against lyn today

Just saw it, chiped the ball over the keeper. He is now joint top scorer in the Norwegian PL, not bad for a left winger... If he scores again then you can add £500k to his asking price... sad.gif

Edited by krislu

And that combined with O'Leary's quote from earlier this season (can't find the whole thing, but I distinctly remember him uttering something about wanting to "do a Leeds" with Aston Villa) is what pisses me off.

What - spend vast quantities of money and get them bankrupt? That'd suit me fine. Then we could pick up Barry, Angel and a few others on the cheap.

Seriously though, I don't think that's likley to happen. Ellis is notorious for not supporting managers that well with funds.

I feel the need to point out one thing concerning Gamst: he doesn't like playing 4-4-2. He prefer to play left winger in a 4-3-3 system or that wacky new system the norwegian national team uses. Last year he had a pretty poor season in Tromsoe while they were playing 4-4-2 . He also strikes me as a player who isn't particulary obsessed with money and seems happy at Tromsoe, but then again I might just be naive? I think these things rather than money will be what ultimatly decides a possible move. Here's hoping Souey and whoever is up there can convince him that he will be played as a winger in the Rovers-shirt and that the club will do whatever possible to make him feel at home. rover.gif

Fair comment although news of a concrete bidhaving been made/a done deal would have been even more beneficial.

I'm with Rev on this one.

Much prefer to hear about the signings once they have been completed!

Remember the king kenny days - I used to turn on the teletext and found out we'd signed another player out of the blue!

Last year, I remember Emerton coming as a bit of a shock!

Cheers

we take our time to learn your language, so then its only fair that you do the same, right? rolleyes.gif

In Europe people learn their own language and English. It's a fact.

For us to learn a second language to suit everyone we'd have to learn Norwegian, Swedish, Danish, Dutch, German, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, Romanian, Hungarian, Russian ad infinitum.

Although we are jolly nice intelligent people over here we are NOT linguistic geniuses. tongue.gif

For us to learn a second language to suit everyone we'd have to learn Norwegian, Swedish, Danish, Dutch, German, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, Romanian, Hungarian, Russian  ad infinitum.

...so we don't bother. tongue.gif

Cheers

we take our time to learn your language, so then its only fair that you do the same, right? rolleyes.gif

In Europe people learn their own language and English. It's a fact.

For us to learn a second language to suit everyone we'd have to learn Norwegian, Swedish, Danish, Dutch, German, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, Romanian, Hungarian, Russian ad infinitum.

Although we are jolly nice intelligent people over here we are NOT linguistic geniuses. tongue.gif

But irony you understand? cool.gif

Edited by krislu

You could at least learn ONE other language wink.gif Some other big language like French, Spanish or German. Apart from Swedish and English I've also taken Spanish and French at school. Can't say I speak either of those very well tho.

Btw, is it mandatory in English schools to learn another language apart from English? From the general knowledge (Or lack thereof) of foreign languages I'd venture a guess at "No", but it'd be nice to know.

You could at least learn ONE other language wink.gif Some other big language like French, Spanish or German.

I can swear in French, German and Spanish (and Italian, Cantonese, Arabic, Gaelic and English). Does that count? tongue.gif . Seriously, some of us do speak more than one language, so feel free not to tar all English people with the same brush.

I believe you have to take a language GCSE (which you do exams in at 16), but you can leave it after that. I did German, and was complete sh_t, and got an F. I couldn't handle all the 'nominative case/accusative case' nonsense and how it changed Der/Die/Das (the equivilent of 'the') into Dienien, Weimar, Monkeynuts or whatever.

Anyway, Norweigen is an obscure language on the world stage, only native to Norway. French, English and Spanish, the latter of which does not seem to be taught in many schools for some reason, are more widely spoken.

Ofcourse I don't expect anyone to learn small languages like Norwegian.

One interesting thing about learning languages is that the Scandinavian languages as well as English are apparently comparatively hard to learn. While it's much to learn with the grammar in German and French (We were supposed to know ~30 forms of each verb. Easier than it sounds, but still), at least there is something to rely on. In Swedish there are no rules when there should be "a" or "an" etc. I bet I wouldn't have learned English well at all if I hadn't heard/seen it every day on TV, the internet and so on.

And I do know that some English people speak other languages, it's just that among those I've met (both IRL and on the web) there seems to be an unwillingness to learn. I'm not taring everyone with the same brush, I just feel it's unneccessary to include a "obviously not everyone is like that, I know there are plenty of people out there with a keen interest in <inser topic here>, and I'm certainly not talking about them" every time I post something like that.

I believe you have to take a language GCSE (which you do exams in at 16), but you can leave it after that. I did German, and was complete sh_t, and got an F. I couldn't handle all the 'nominative case/accusative case' nonsense and how it changed Der/Die/Das (the equivilent of 'the') into Dienien, Weimar, Monkeynuts or whatever.

laugh.giflaugh.gif been there myself, didn't understand much, but at least I pulled of an E. cool.gif

Edited by krislu

Mrs F can speak French, German and Italian. She actually teaches French and German. She's a smart arse. I can speak English but I am able to order drinks in most European Countries (with some prompting and the aid of an English speaking barmaid / barman). None of which is going to help us land Pedersen by the way but there there you go. Just out of interest what's Norwegian for "Look Pedersen what do you want to do? Stop here or go and play in the Premier League for Blackburn Rovers? Come on fella it's not too hard a decision is it?"

Edited by bob fleming

I'm not a natural for languages, as my GCSE has shown, but I'd like to give Spanish a go sometime. I'd like to learn another language, but my brian is probably geared to history, politics etc., At least I can understand Jean-Paul Satre's ideas (or at least the English translation). That's something to be proud of.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.