BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Pedersen Bid

• Replies 552
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry I was going to reply but then I realised thread ISN'T afterall called SHOULD ENGLISH PEOPLE BE TAUGHT/BE FORCED TO SPEAK ANOTHER LANGUAGE.

Eiher start a thread on that or talk about what we're supposed to because this is getting boring.  mad.gif

Well said shillito.

So tell me, what do you think of the new Accy Stanley Nike kit? They must be making a fair bit out of that. I might get one.

I hear its JJB making the money outta this one... Accy making batch orders AND requesting prints on them. wink.gif

On topic: Does anyone have any reasonable reasons why GS isnt making a firm bid for Pedersen yet? T^he worst that can happen is that it'll be turned down and the bid will have to go up/withdrawn?

Off topic: Seeing as English is reconised as an international language, and is widely spoken on 5 continents, it makes the whole argument a bit pointless. If English were forced to learn French, etc, to the extent the French know English, what happens if you went to the Ukraine? You'd speak English... its possible for multiple countries to learn a second language, its nigh on impossible for one nation to learn god knows how many languages. Thats why learning one is pointless... only one (or two) countries is where it will be usefull.

• Backroom
On topic: Does anyone have any reasonable reasons why GS isnt making a firm bid for Pedersen yet?

I would like to know if we HAVE made a firm bid as suggested in the L.E.T.

or, are Tromso correct in their statement that no bid has been received from Rovers for Pedersen ? blink.gif

Wouldnt suprise me if rovers asked Tromso to say that for the good of both clubs. Obviously we have competition for his signature and they are top of the league and the fans wont want to see one of there brightest stars leave so maybe it could be a keep quiet tatic by both clubs

Seeing as English is reconised as an international language, and is widely spoken on 5 continents, it makes the whole argument a bit pointless. If English were forced to learn French, etc, to the extent the French know English, what happens if you went to the Ukraine? You'd speak English... its possible for multiple countries to learn a second language, its nigh on impossible for one nation to learn god knows how many languages. Thats why learning one is pointless... only one (or two) countries is where it will be usefull.

At least we know why you are called parasyte now! Perhaps add very ignorant and brainless to that one.

I think it's more that the LET published a story that was just a rumour in a few Sunday tabloid talk section and when the news got to Norway, the club feared that it might put off other clubs putting a bid and decided to come out and say that no ones put in a bid.

From what the Tromsoe chairman said, it seems that they are waiting to cash on him. £1-2m would be alot of money for a club of it's size.

Off topic: Seeing as English is reconised as an international language, and is widely spoken on 5 continents, it makes the whole argument a bit pointless. If English were forced to learn French, etc, to the extent the French know English, what happens if you went to the Ukraine? You'd speak English... its possible for multiple countries to learn a second language, its nigh on impossible for one nation to learn god knows how many languages. Thats why learning one is pointless... only one (or two) countries is where it will be usefull.

Precisely my point several pages back.

May I make humble apologies for going off topic with this, the Pedersen thread sad.gif The language thing should have gone onto ICBINF site.

Seeing as English is reconised as an international language, and is widely spoken on 5 continents, it makes the whole argument a bit pointless. If English were forced to learn French, etc, to the extent the French know English, what happens if you went to the Ukraine? You'd speak English... its possible for multiple countries to learn a second language, its nigh on impossible for one nation to learn god knows how many languages. Thats why learning one is pointless... only one (or two) countries is where it will be usefull.

At least we know why you are called parasyte now! Perhaps add very ignorant and brainless to that one.

Mandarin is the most spoken language in the world followed by Spanish, then English. So we should all go and learn Mandarin and Spanish.

Why should we 'expect' everyone to speak English, learning a bit of the local lingo goes a long way to being accepted by the locals.

It didn't do Del Boy any harm knowing a bit of French tongue.gif

I'm starting to have doubts here, either that the transfer won't go through since Tromsö wants to keep him until October, or that we will pay over the top in order to get him now. However the second scenario isn't really a problem if our other targets are really cheap.

And to go OT again:

USA, I can't be arsed to go on really. And btw, I said exactly what you did, that the previous post was rubbish. And if I (according to you) don't believe everyone has a right to say what they want, then you certainly don't either. Anyway, you think you made some good point there, I disagree. Lets leave it at that.

Regarding languages:It's not ignorant to ignore other languages if you have a good reason. If you're not ever going outside the UK/US and the english-speaking tourst resorts in Spain, Greece etc. then you don't have a reason and is not ignorant (EDIT: The reason for not going outside those places, however, could be that you're narrowminded. Besides the point tho). That I have a completely different taste in holidays is another matter wink.gif However, if you don't care about it because you have the opinion of "All other languages and cultures are crap, the UK/US/Aussie/whatever culture is the only right one. Who cares about the frogeaters and eskimoes anyway, huh??", then you're ignorant. Which is quite obvious I suppose wink.gif

Edited by Lathund

USA, I can't be arsed to go on really. And btw, I said exactly what you did, that the previous post was rubbish. And if I (according to you) don't believe everyone has a right to say what they want, then you certainly don't either. Anyway, you think you made some good point there, I disagree. Lets leave it at that.

I did not mean to say you did not think everyone had a right to say what they want. If it came across that way it was not intended. Yes let's leave it at that.

I have doubts this Pedersen thing is going to happen either, it's been too well publicised and I think Tromso are posturing for more money.

Mandarin is the most spoken language in the world followed by Spanish, then English. So we should all go and learn Mandarin and Spanish.

Why should we 'expect' everyone to speak English, learning a bit of the local lingo goes a long way to being accepted by the locals.

It didn't do Del Boy any harm knowing a bit of French tongue.gif

Mandarin may be spoken by more, as is Spanish, but neither are international languages, which was my point if you read the opening line. When your in foreign airports, sea ports, and official buildings, its a requirement to speak English, as its THE international language.

In 2012 (earlier if Bush gets re-elected) China will overtake the USA as the world's largest economy.

About the same time the number of hispanics in Texan schools will exceed the number of English-speakers.

OK I agree, English is THE international language and the growth in its domination shows little sign of weakening, but nothing is forever.

After all at the end of the fifteenth century, by far the largest and most powerful nation in Europe was....

Lithuania (it even had a Black Sea coast)

Does anyone know if Pedersen is in the Norway squad for the match against Wales on Thursday because its on the telly (Sky Digital channel 961 from 5:45). This would allow those of us not able to see him the chance to watch him in action against a reasonable team.

About the same time the number of hispanics in Texan schools will exceed the number of English-speakers.

Seeing as the hispanics you mention will be learning English at the school that is somewhat of a moot point.

Yes, it would be nice if we all spoke more than one language but it isn't really fair for anyone to suggest those that don't are ignorant. If they have no need to use the language why bother? It's personal choice after all, nobody should be forced to use a language they will never use.

Edited by FourLaneBlue

Does anyone know if Pedersen is in the Norway squad for the match against Wales on Thursday because its on the telly (Sky Digital channel 961 from 5:45).  This would allow those of us not able to see him the chance to watch him in action against a reasonable team.

Norway team against Wales:

Keepere:

Thomas Myhre (Sunderland)

Jan Kjell Larsen (Haugesund)

Forsvar:

Christer Basma (Rosenborg)

André Bergdølmo (Borussia Dortmund)

Jon Inge Høiland (Malmö FF)

Ronny Johnsen (Aston Villa)

Claus Lundekvam (Southampton)

John Arne Riise (Liverpool)

Midtbane/angrep:

Trond Andersen (Aalborg)

Martin Andresen (Blackburn)

Tore André Flo (Siena)

Thorstein Helstad (Austria Wien)

Magne Hoset (Molde)

Morten Gamst Pedersen (Tromsø)

Sigurd Rushfeldt (Austria Wien)

Jan Gunnar Solli (Rosenborg)

Ole Gunnar Solskjær (Manchester United)

Bengt Sæternes (Club Brugge)

A simple YES would be easier....but now you can look at our squad with huge envy... tongue.gif

Edited by krislu

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.