BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Tugay To Pompey......

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i hope not it aint gonna happen mate. he is probably stalling on signing with rovers again cause he wants a 2 year deal, maybe on the same money. but based on him probably not playing every single game for the amount that he will getting...the club aren't prepared to offer 2 years.

i think we can move on and let Tugay go, he was good in only around 25% of games this season, the rest he was fairly poor, such inconsistency is not good for the team, and he's nearly 34yrs old, maybe its time to consider moving on, he is replacable, he does not score and can't tackle and is not consistent, Ferguson can score and can tackle and has been consistent for Rangers, but on top form Tugay can switch play and spread the ball with great passing so weight ther pro's and con's.

I think it’s time for Tugay to go. He’s been a brilliant player for the club and he’s a player that I’ll never forget. However the majority of games this season he has been well under average, passes going astray etc, easily caught in possession.

It’s only since the Fulham game, where he made that fantastic pass to Cole for the goal, that everyone has wanted him to stay. Since that game he has been probably with Stead and Cole the best players for the last third of the season.

Age is against him and I feel a younger player who’ll be equipped to become a better player for years to come at Rovers, whoever it may be.

I think it’s time for Tugay to go. He’s been a brilliant player for the club and he’s a player that I’ll never forget. However the majority of games this season he has been well under average, passes going astray etc, easily caught in possession.

It’s only since the Fulham game, where he made that fantastic pass to Cole for the goal, that everyone has wanted him to stay. Since that game he has been probably with Stead and Cole the best players for the last third of the season.

Age is against him and I feel a younger player who’ll be equipped to become a better player for years to come at Rovers, whoever it may be.

a young lad with tugs ability lets see???10-15 m at least.

Yeah it probably would cost that amount for a player on the market now.

For me I’d like to see Douglas given a bigger role in the team next season, if Douglas was given the opportunity to play alongside a player like Barry then I’m sure it would be good for him and as a partnership for years to come.

People have given Douglas a bit of stick, but remember for most of the games he’s played in he’s been played on the left wing and hasn’t done any worse than other players who have been picked in that particular position.

A young player on the market, £10m easily. Douglas has come through the ranks and has cost nothing and has potential to be a good midfielder.

Providing he signs the contract.

Only time will tell if its a good or bad move, his pace and tackling ability leave a lot to be desired, and he has been losing the ball in key areas a lot more this season, but on his day his passing is second to none.

There is no doubt about his love for both the club and fans, but if the guy needs more stability from a two year contract, then unfortunately he may have to find it elsewhere.

tinykit.gif

Yeah it probably would cost that amount for a player on the market now.

For me I’d like to see Douglas given a bigger role in the team next season, if Douglas was given the opportunity to play alongside a player like Barry then I’m sure it would be good for him and as a partnership for years to come.

People have given Douglas a bit of stick, but remember for most of the games he’s played in he’s been played on the left wing and hasn’t done any worse than other players who have been picked in that particular position.

A young player on the market, £10m easily. Douglas has come through the ranks and has cost nothing and has potential to be a good midfielder.

Providing he signs the contract.

It is impossible to compare Douglas with Tugay, there is light years in difference in their talent. A player of Douglas' ability is worth maybe two or three million and that is allowing for his development!

If Toogs does go (not something I am veheminatly against) then it will change the way we play, not perhaps for the worst either. A consistent partnership in the middle is in my eyes more important than Keeping the Turk. Ferguson can play a decent ball, even if he lacks Tugay's vision and flair, and it will be him that Souness will look to build the team around. If we can find a decent partner for him in the long term Rovers will benefit more than depending on an in form Tugay to turn up every week.

Which ever way you look at it Tugay will be no more than a squad player next season due to his defensive frailties and his age. To lose him would be a blow but hopefully will act as a catalyst for developing a new style of play and allow us to move on.

I just hope these rumours about Dickov, Breen and Tugay are wide of the mark.

If they're not, first division here we come. Buy first division players - we'll get first division football.

Roversismylife, you see something in Douglas that I certainly don't. To say he's no worse than the others who have failed to cover central midfield, is no ringing endorsement, is it?

Edited by den

We thought losing Duff was a huge blow. This wouldnt be far behind. When Tugay doesnt play, Rovers don't play. If he goes, we've got enormous problems.

what rubbish!!!!

When tugay plays, we lose more than we win

Shut up!!

He's our creativity, he's the one that makes things happen.

Fulham away ring any bells? Birmingham at home more recently, he was on another planet for the first 20 minutes of the second half. Our players weren't good enough to predict what magic he's going to pull out next!

We thought losing Duff was a huge blow. This wouldnt be far behind. When Tugay doesnt play, Rovers don't play. If he goes, we've got enormous problems.

what rubbish!!!!

When tugay plays, we lose more than we win

Do you even watch Tugay play? Rovers have nothing in midfield without him, him and Cole have saved us this season with their performances over the last 12 games. Regardless of results, we play worse when he's not there.

I just hope these rumours about Dickov, Breen and Tugay are wide of the mark.

If they're not, first division here we come. Buy first division players - we'll get first division football.

Roversismylife, you see something in Douglas that I certainly don't. To say he's no worse than the others who have failed to cover central midfield, is no ringing endorsement, is it?

In my previous post I said: “he’s been played on the left wing and hasn’t done any worse than other players who have been picked in that particular position.”

Not central midfield.

He isn’t a left winger, so why put him there? Douglas will never be the world’s best midfielder, however he has the makings of being a good midfielder.

Yes Tugay is a good player and is gifted on the ball, however for the majority of the season some of his performances have been poor. Anyone remember him getting caught in possession numerous of times at home to Chelsea?

Tugay has managed to produce good performances since the away game at Fulham, but looking at his season he has been poor.

Douglas has established himself in the team, I remember not playing too badly in central midfield at home to Bolton. He deserves a chance; Douglas has got stuck in and given his all. Give him a go.

I Think Douglas is improving every game. He had a good game against Birmingham and even got down to the touchline once or twice. To say he's been played out of postion he as done well. Maybe we could convert him into a fullback because he's better denfensivley then going foward.

In my previous post I said: “he’s been played on the left wing and hasn’t done any worse than other players who have been picked in that particular position.”

Not central midfield.

So you did.

You did say that Tugay has been poor this season. Sorry, I can't see how you compare Douglas as having been better than Tugay, and if he hasn't been, why the push for Douglas to be played regularly?

Tugay does have an "invisible friend" in central midfield, he's called Garry Flitcroft.

Whilst Shagger observes play for 90 minutes his partner has the proverbial broom up their backside having to get through twice the normal workload just to try and hold the midfield together. Whilst at the same time being expected to provide the creative spark. I'd wager that Tugay would look far more impressive alongside a player who performs the holding role in midfield properly i.e. Ferguson. Even Andresson made Tugay look a lot better.

On another note, it would another huge body blow psychologically if we lost Tugay. Another fans favourite through the door, the club will be in increasing danger of fielding a team of players no -one wants to watch

If everyone is fit next season then Tugay won't be first choice imo. For me, both Ferguson and Tugay perform a similar role i.e. taking the ball off the defence and distributing it. Whilst Ferguson may not be quite as good a passer as Tugay he's a lot more mobile. I suspect it'll be Ferguson and (at the moment - ahead of any potential new summer signings) Flitcroft who will be our first choice central midfield pairing.

Incidentially, I've seen nothing in Thompson to suggest that he'll be a good central midfielder. He's not disciplined enough defensively or positionally to hold down a role centrally. That's assumming he gets back to the level he was before his injury, something that shouldn't be taken for granted.

After saying all that, in an ideal world we'd have cover for every position so I'd like to see Tugay stay. But if he wants a shed-load of money, or a long contract, can we really afford to give that to someone who'll probably be no more than a backup player next season?

Not central midfield.

So you did.

You did say that Tugay has been poor this season. Sorry, I can't see how you compare Douglas as having been better than Tugay, and if he hasn't been, why the push for Douglas to be played regularly?

Look at both players’ seasons.

Tugay- Nobody can say that he has had the best of seasons. He’s a terrific player, I’m not disputing that but the majority of the games that he’s played in he’s been well of the pace of the game. Caught out when in possession and really only since the away game at Fulham since started to play consistently well.

Long term – Age isn’t on his side, isn’t going to get any quicker, a year left at the top level, so why keep him.

Douglas – Has come into the side and has done well. He’s got stuck in, worked hard and fully deserved his chance to play, but being played out of position.

He’s young and can only get better.

You've just got to wonder if the club really do want Toogs to stay. If they do, they're not doing too well at it, and if they don't want him to stay then say so.

Looks like they're faffing around, to me. mad.gif

apologies for those who I am about to upset.

If any of you think that Douglas has any ounce of the ability that Tugay possesses then you know absolutley FUFF all about Football.

said it and I mean it.

We must keep Tugay unless we have a rady made replacement and IMo there are not too many players that can produce the balls that he can.

More importantly Tugay would be an asset alongside Fergie who will surely control the midfield allowing Tugay a little more freedom.

forget Douglas and let him go NOW

tinykit.gif

As far as Douglas is concerned he's come in and done an absolutely outstanding job on the left towards the end of the season.

Personally I would be assuring him that the left wing slot is his as long as he keeps playing to that standard, and ploughing the extra money earmarked for Pederson into a centre half.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.