SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Tugay To Pompey......

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look at both players’ seasons.

Tugay- Nobody can say that he has had the best of seasons. He’s a terrific player, I’m not disputing that but the majority of the games that he’s played in he’s been well of the pace of the game. Caught out when in possession and really only since the away game at Fulham since started to play consistently well.

Long term – Age isn’t on his side, isn’t going to get any quicker, a year left at the top level, so why keep him.

Douglas – Has come into the side and has done well. He’s got stuck in, worked hard and fully deserved his chance to play, but being played out of position.

He’s young and can only get better.

Getting stuck in and working hard doesn't make anyone a premiership footballer, though.

Young? he's 22. Look at Ronaldo, Fletcher and O'Shea, they're all younger than him. They are real prospects. I don't expect Douglas to improve a lot, because he hasn't got the quality to work on. He can't work any harder or get stuck in any more than he does. Where is he going to improve?

As far as Douglas is concerned he's come in and done an absolutely outstanding job on the left towards the end of the season.

Personally I would be assuring him that the left wing slot is his as long as he keeps playing to that standard, and ploughing the extra money earmarked for Pederson into a centre half.

It's hard to reply to that Rev without being insulting. Douglas came in and did a job by playing very narrow and battling alongside two other battling central midfielders. This allowed Tugay the freedom to create further forward. However, it offered us precious little in the way of width, balance, or supply to the forwards - something bourne out by our lack of goals towards the end of the season.

Douglas is a workmanlike central midfielder who can put himself about a bit. No more, no less. I actually agree with Souness when he says that Douglas will make a decent right back. He's defensively-minded and a good tackler. But to say he should be our left-sided midfielder for next season defies logic or sense.

With a full strength squad next year, Tugay is perfect to have around as a sub to bring some energy into the team in the later stages, and as a spot starter when someone is injured/needs rest. Too inconsistent to play as much as he did this season, but still brings enough to the table to make sure he is a part of the squad.

As far as It's hard to reply to that Rev without being insulting.

But Scotty before copious amounts of beer after the brum game you came up and admitted Douglas had been excellent.

Really. You did. biggrin.gif

He was excellent in that game but he was excellent as one of three battling central midfielders.

Now, if you really want us to adopt that formation for the whole of next season then he could do a good job. However, watching us would be as exciting as watching paint dry, ticket sales would reduce dramatically, and we'd get found out early on by other teams who'd recognise that we weren't capable of scoring enough goals to trouble them.

I heard the reason why Tugay wants to leave is that Rovers are only prepared to offer a one-year deal but Tugay wants a two-year deal... or something..

I feel he should stay. I would much prefer him to stay than say....Flitcroft.

Sure Flitcroft wears his heart on his sleeve and gets stuck-in but is restricted in his attacking play and passing ability than Tugay (yeah sure he passes to his invisible friend a lot) but he would still be useful as a back-up midfielder, to come on and supply that through-ball that is needed.

As for Douglas, he is very restricted in ability. He just gets some praise for his commitment and hard-work but if Souness fails on getting Pedersen and believes Douglas can still do the left-mid job for us.. I will commit suicide in my back garden.

I heard the reason why Tugay wants to leave is that Rovers are only prepared to offer a one-year deal but Tugay wants a two-year deal... or something..

I feel he should stay. I would much prefer him to stay than say....Flitcroft.

Sure Flitcroft wears his heart on his sleeve and gets stuck-in but is restricted in his attacking play and passing ability than Tugay (yeah sure he passes to his invisible friend a lot) but he would still be useful as a back-up midfielder, to come on and supply that through-ball that is needed.

As for Douglas, he is very restricted in ability. He just gets some praise for his commitment and hard-work but if Souness fails on getting Pedersen and believes Douglas can still do the left-mid job for us.. I will commit suicide in my back garden.

Agree with what you said. I’d rather Tugay stays than Flitty. I’m sure if Rovers got an offer for Flitty he’d be leaving Ewood.

Douglas wouldn’t he be the perfect partner for Barry though?

Douglas works hard, gets stuck in and isn’t frightened of putting a foot in. This would be the perfect combination providing Pedersen arrives at Ewood soon.

Douglas would sit in midfield allowing Ferguson to get forward to support the forwards etc allowing Douglas to be there if a counter attack is thrown at us.

I’ll be the first to admit, Tugay is miles ahead of Douglas for skill wise etc, however when players were needed to dig in and show character Douglas was one who worked his socks off. I’m not saying that Tugay doesn’t work it’s that, would offering him a contract extension of so many years be worth it? Considering when everyone’s fit he’s not going to be first choice and money going into his pocket.

Tugay does have an "invisible friend" in central midfield, he's called Garry Flitcroft.

Whilst Shagger observes play for 90 minutes his partner has the proverbial broom up their backside having to get through twice the normal workload just to try and hold the midfield together. Whilst at the same time being expected to provide the creative spark. I'd wager that Tugay would look far more impressive alongside a player who performs the holding role in midfield properly i.e. Ferguson. Even Andresson made Tugay look a lot better.

On another note, it would another huge body blow psychologically if we lost Tugay. Another fans favourite through the door, the club will be in increasing danger of fielding a team of players no -one wants to watch

Totally agree RB!

Tugay has the ability to hurt the opposition with brilliant perceptive passing. Fulham is the case in point.

More often than not from the footage I have seen, Tugay's balls to invisible friend have happened when the Rovers players around him have been hiding- not running into space or channels to create passing options.

Against Liverpool there was a classic situation- Flitcroft played a poor ball out of defence, Tugay tackled back and ended up in possession facing his own goal. Looked for a Rovers player breaking forwards, waited, finally spotted Neill, hit a pass which a Liverpool player got a toe on, deflected and a Liverpool player had a clear run on goal which was scored from.

Without Tugay, we are going to be a very uninteresting workaday side.

We thought losing Duff was a huge blow. This wouldnt be far behind. When Tugay doesnt play, Rovers don't play. If he goes, we've got enormous problems.

what rubbish!!!!

When tugay plays, we lose more than we win

Shut up!!

He's our creativity, he's the one that makes things happen.

Fulham away ring any bells? Birmingham at home more recently, he was on another planet for the first 20 minutes of the second half. Our players weren't good enough to predict what magic he's going to pull out next!

maybe our players can't predict what he is going to do but in 70% of matches the other team has, Tugay has been poor in too many, Greggyk is right, think this season we have lost more games with Tugay in the team then we have won, i think its because Souness has expected too much from Tugay, hes good at passing, but he slow and can't tackle, he needs to play further forward like he has done in the last 6 games.

People that say to replace Tugay would cost 15 million, well at 30 years old he was only worth 1.2 million, for 15 million i would expect a player that can tackle or score 10+ goals from midfield a season, but most important, a consistent player, Tugay has never been consistent over a season.

I Think Douglas is improving every game. He had a good game against Birmingham and even got down to the touchline once or twice. To say he's been played out of postion he as done well. Maybe we could convert him into a fullback because he's better denfensivley then going foward.

Souness said a couple of weeks ago, that he thinks that Douglas' best position would be right back, he just hasn't had the luxury if having the chance to play him there.

If we let every player who's played inconsistently go this season we would loose half the team (and I'm being generous). And since Tugay's form has been picking up of late, he's one of the players who has indicated that they can get back to their best, or at least a good level of performance.

In a team with as little flair as us loosing Tugay would be another step towards achieving the goal of the most unattractive team to watch. Even if Tugay isn't up to the full 90 minutes every week, having his killer passing ability on the bench each week is a huge asset and likely to give us a fair few goals and points. Personally IMO he can perform this role for another 2 seasons. Added to that, as already stated, he's Rovers through and through and a fan favourite, loosing him is only likely to dishearten many of the fans.

Rovers have got this dead right.

A one year extension is exactly the right offer. A longer contract may bring complacency. He has been superb recently - anything to do with the need for a new contract?

If Tugay does go then I would like to thank him for many brilliant memories in the blue and white.

If he goes abroad I hope he manages a few more golden years.

If he joins a premiership side then I hope he goes down like a lead balloon.

He has been one of my favourite all-time Roverites.

Plus ça change.

Using some peoples logic we will be without a team next year, thats if we start to get rid of the players who have been inconsistent.

Tugay has been fantastic in the last quarter of the season, for me it is no coincidence that is good form coincided with him playing alonside Andreson, who was disciplined and held his position allowing Tugay more Freedom, his work rate was also phenomenal.

His form alongside Andreson suggests he will play well alongside the also disciplined yet infinitly better Ferguson, and while Tugay won't be able to play week in week out he will still be a good asset to have about the place, not only as a player but a fans favourite and from what I gather a popular member of the dressing room.

Comparing Douglas to Tugay is daft. Douglas has done well out of position but he is simply a 'water carrier'. Tugay needs support nowadays protection but in reality still provides our 'drum beat' by dictating the pace, shape and tempo of our game. Nobody else comes close to his ability to do this so we must not get rid until we find a replacement midfield general. Ferguson is a good player but he is no Tugay and I doubt he will ever be.

2 schools of thought to consider.

Why Pompey?!? Berkowitz was absolutely superb in their last game but is he there on loan or permanent? If he is permanent I cannot see how they can afford two players with such similar ability and who are so poor defensively. They could never play both in the same team thats for sure. Maybe as they are both 'getting on' they could be planning to use them sparingly in front of 3 low cost, basic but willing midfield growlers in order to supply the bullets for their speedy forwards to fire, but unless the back-up players are on little money having 2 big hitters for one place might represent a steep financial cost for what is till one of the smaller clubs.

Alternatively...... having both Tugay and Berkovitz sharing the midfield creative duties is certainly an interesting and mouth watering prospect and one which could well pay dividends. Given GS's relationship with Berko I would'nt mind turning the tables by hanging onto Toogs and bringing Eyal back. We could fund it by selling Emerton who would be superflous to requirements in that system. Top strikers cost big money that neither club can afford BUT whilst the wages would be high for one position these two possess the God-given ability to make ordinary strikers deadly. Overall they could be the best value for money pairing in the Prem!

Alternatively...... having both Tugay and Berkovitz sharing the midfield creative duties is certainly an interesting and mouth watering prospect and one which could well pay dividends. Given GS's relationship with Berko I would'nt mind turning the tables by hanging onto Toogs and bringing Eyal back. We could fund it by selling Emerton who would be superflous to requirements in that system. Top strikers cost big money that neither club can afford BUT whilst the wages would be high for one position these two possess the God-given ability to make ordinary strikers deadly. Overall they could be the best value for money pairing in the Prem!

Opposing teams would slice through our midfield like a hot knife through butter.

Personally i would allow tugay to leave.

It would make more space on the wage budget and also he is coming to an end of his career and we have the players to play in that position if he left.

We have enough midfielders.

I would like to see Tugay go this summer and then maybe Flitcroft at the end of next summer

Maybe we should ease the youngster in and then let Tugay leave?

Hardly makes sense to be getting rid of a first team player because we've got a good young lad we want to sit on the bench for a few games.

Maybe we should let Tugay leave, and ease in a youngster to take the more creative role. Donnolly is highly rated, so maybe he can slowly take a place in the squad over the next season.

been with a pool fan today and he rates douglas far more .

Maybe the 2nd division was more suited to Douglas' style, so he looked better. I don't know, but Donnolly was very highly rated on this site, and I wonder what, if anything has gone a bit off key with him. Perhaps there is another player in the youth team that could fill the creative role better. I'd say Tugay should perhaps go, because we have many central midfielders already, and that by keeping all of Ferguson/Thompson/Flitcroft/Reid/Tugay/Douglas would mean no chance for a promising 18 or 19 year old to play a couple of games.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.