BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Sky Sports

Just had a call from my brother to read the letter that came with this months Sky magazine, the one I had chucked in the magazine rack.

Subscription charges have risen, but in return, we get improvements.

The one that stands out......

"There's a brand new Saturday night program, Football First, showing 50 minute highlights of every Premiership game played on a Saturday - and you get to choose which one you watch."

So, press the red button, select Rovers, and you get 50 mins of the game instead of the usual 2 mins on The Premiership / Match of the day.

thumbs-up.gifthumbs-up.gifthumbs-up.gifthumbs-up.gif

Edited by Jim J

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we perform anywhere near to last season, Sky will find it difficult to find 50min highlights. ohmy.gif

To be serious, showing nearly an hour of a game on a Saturday night, in my opinion will kill attendances for a lot of clubs. Apart from the atmosphere, non existent in some grounds, Why spend £20 plus for a ticket, and travel through inclement weather when you can watch most of the game at home.

Only hard core supporters and Skyless viewers are going to bother turning up at the ground.

Disastrous move for the clubs, the game will eventually be destoyed by Sky TV and its millions. Any fan who is less than 110% comitted or whose team is struggling will simply turn on the box for an hour and call it support.

Very, very disappointing news. Sooner or later we are all going to have to wake up to the serious implications of Sky TV, it will destroy the game, in fact it has already taken its heart, Murdoch is just coming back for the soul now.

Disastrous move for the clubs, the game will eventually be destoyed by Sky TV and its millions. Any fan who is less than 110% comitted or whose team is struggling will simply turn on the box for an hour and call it support.

Very, very disappointing news. Sooner or later we are all going to have to wake up to the serious implications of Sky TV, it will destroy the game, in fact it has already taken its heart, Murdoch is just coming back for the soul now.

SKY are just providing a service which there is (judging by the comments on this thread) a big demand for.

Watching football on TV is no subsitute for being at the ground, we all know that, I can't see this move having a big effect on ticket sales.

It will be handy for those who can't afford to travel to away games too.

Watching live football at Ewood is like having sex with a beautiful woman - watching highlights on SKY will be like taking a few mucky polaroids of the wife and knocking one out in a cramped motorway service station toilet.

Incidently are the people complaining about this new service from SKY going to watch it? I know I'll take advantage of it but it won't stop me going to Ewood thumbs-up.gif

Edited by Ossydave

watching highlights on SKY will be like taking a few mucky polaroids of the wife and knocking one out in a cramped motorway service station toilet.

Is that taken from the Sky Magazine?

I can hear Richard Keys doing the trailer on Sky Sports as the build up to the season begins: -

"........and next season we're bringing you something extra special, extended highlights of YOUR Premier League club on a Saturday night. It'll be like taking mucky polaroids of the wife and knocking one out in a cramped motorway service station toilet. It'll be that good."

watching highlights on SKY will be like taking a few mucky polaroids of the wife and knocking one out in a cramped motorway service station toilet.

Is that taken from the Sky Magazine?

I can hear Richard Keys doing the trailer on Sky Sports as the build up to the season begins: -

"........and next season we're bringing you something extra special, extended highlights of YOUR Premier League club on a Saturday night. It'll be like taking mucky polaroids of the wife and knocking one out in a cramped motorway service station toilet. It'll be that good."

Don't be silly Bob.

If they do that then they risk losing viewers of the adult channels, do you think this is what SKY want? NO, they want to bankrupt BRFC.

Do you follow?

I knew someone was following me

Does that mean that the service will only be available to married subscribers?

If we unmarried subscribers have to select somebody's elses wife to be the subject of their polaroids, then that would be a service enhancement worth paying an extra £1 for.

As for the football highlights thing, I think it's a great idea. Crowds are not effected at the moment when you know that your game is the featured game on Match of the Day, and the TV money that you get from being shown far outweigh the lost ticket revenues that some people allege will occur.

Forgive me if I am wrong but will the clubs not have had to agree to this and get a cut - then if so its their own faults for selling out to TV.

Apparently Dean Saunders is in charge on that side of things these days, what a tosser mad.gif

Have to say, Paul, the evidence is against you re Sky TV forcing attendances down.

If anything, since Sky came along, crowds across all divisions are consistently up.

Perhaps access to extended highlights of rovers games will rekindle the desires of many stay-at-homes to revisit Ewood.

I’ve got mixed views on it. I think it’s great that Sky have done this because there will be some away games that I can’t go to.

However it is bad for clubs, Sky are getting stronger and stronger. They have the power to do it, so let them.

Anyhow, I’ll still be going to the games that I can make, watching it on the tele isn’t the same.

Is it just on Sky? Anyone know if it'll be on NTL? (unlikely knowing how rubbish it is...)

Well my NTL red button works for 2 channels. BBC and Channel 4.

So hopefully when the season starts, it will work for sky sports as well.

Watching football on TV is no subsitute for being at the ground, we all know that, I can't see this move having a big effect on ticket sales.

Two Words, Scotish Football and TV Coverage. It didn't help them!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.