BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] And So It Begins Again!

Emerton - frustating, he can do it, why doesn't he?

Because he's Brett Emerton and for some odd reason he knows how to cut inside, turn back and not run at people.

I really hope he does start running at people and prove he can play this attacking role he wanted to play when he joined Rovers.

Please Brett, for the sake of Blackburn Rovers, sort your fecking game out.

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Overall we controlled the game well and never really got going against Stockport.

Player ratings:

Encklemen - Never really troubled, did well when called upon.

Neill – OK – has to work on passing the ball; communication was also poor with Emerton, good goal.

Amoruso – Handled everything that came his way. One thing that I did find is that he looked slightly over-weight to what he was last season.

Nissa – Calm on the ball, big season for him.

Gray – Commanded the left hand side of the pitch.

Emerton – Poor again.

Barry – Controlled the game with Matteo.

Matteo – Very strong on the ball. A good addition by Souness.

Gresko – Good going forward, final ball needs to be improved.

Stead – Worked hard, never really had a real chance apart from a header and free kick.

Yorke – Well, yes, believe it or not he did actually work hard and play well.

Subs

Reid – Provided good options to the midfield when going forward.

Tugay – Popped the ball about freely.

Gally - Did ok, his chance this season to show everyone.

Dickov – Nothing major to report on him.

Give the lad a chance!

I'm fed up of people saying that. I'm not going to sit in the Blackburn End and just curse the lad for 90 minutes, i'll want him to be on sodding fire and rip the opposition apart.

But when you watch him for 15 (i think) games that i managed last year, you begin to realise that the lad is frustrating and very defensive minded. It's difficult to get your mind set on a different style of play if you've been playing the total opposite for god knows how many years.

People, please realise this - I WANT BLACKBURN ROVERS TO SUCCEED - If this means dropping weaker players then what is the problem? If Golden Boy Stead stopped scoring for a season and wasn't looking himself people would being to worry and show concern as to why the lads on the bench aren't getting a go at where Stead is failing.

Emerton came over here wanting an attacking role. I believe he rejected Newcastle as they wanted him to play right back. Now to play in an attacking role, you have to attack. The guy hasn't been doing his job for some time as noted by people on here and at matches.

I don't take happiness from Brett failing to attack. I don't smile when he turns back and i certainly don't enjoy his corner taking when he hits the first man.

It certainly does T4E. Thanks for the photos dillo_dillo.

When did Matteo get out of prison by the way? One evil looking fella that. He could be one of Saunders evil henchmen. Thinking about it, he already is isn't he?

Give the lad a chance!

I'm fed up of people saying that. I'm not going to sit in the Blackburn End and just curse the lad for 90 minutes, i'll want him to be on sodding fire and rip the opposition apart.

But when you watch him for 15 (i think) games that i managed last year, you begin to realise that the lad is frustrating and very defensive minded. It's difficult to get your mind set on a different style of play if you've been playing the total opposite for god knows how many years.

People, please realise this - I WANT BLACKBURN ROVERS TO SUCCEED - If this means dropping weaker players then what is the problem? If Golden Boy Stead stopped scoring for a season and wasn't looking himself people would being to worry and show concern as to why the lads on the bench aren't getting a go at where Stead is failing.

Emerton came over here wanting an attacking role. I believe he rejected Newcastle as they wanted him to play right back. Now to play in an attacking role, you have to attack. The guy hasn't been doing his job for some time as noted by people on here and at matches.

I don't take happiness from Brett failing to attack. I don't smile when he turns back and i certainly don't enjoy his corner taking when he hits the first man.

It was his 1st season in another country with a different climate and playing style. Trust me! Give him a chance.

He has even said himself that he wasn’t as good as he wanted to be last season.

Now he has had time to adapt so hopefully we will see a big difference.

Tom, what pisses me off about the constant carping about Emerton is, that people aren't carping on about the ###### season that our goalkeeper had last season. Or they aren't carping on about how Jansen hasn't come good after his accident. A few rabbited on about Tugay, some commented about Neill (who, in my mind was badly done by with some of his yellows and certainly one of his reds) therefore stuffing his confidence. There were the Amaruso hitmen.

Many on this board hadto have a scapegoat.

It's clear that Emerton is yours and T4E, you certainly take every opportunity to have a go, don't you?

As phillipl has stated in a couple of posts we only need a few of our players to improve on last season to lift the team. It is, after all a team game, and for any individual to maintain a high standard would see that player being the subject of a transfer enquiry.

One thing, for certain is, that last season, we had the guts of the team ripped out by injury for a significant part of the season. Surley that made a difference in approach from the team. We had constant changes in the team, that causes problems.

But that was last season

It appears that you and others are not prepared to wait for a few games in the new season to see if the players are, infact, playing better than last season. You have chosen a few pre season games on which to base your opinions, games that players should be using to get themselves up to speed.

All I ask is; give them a go before you target your predictable targets.

LET's report of the Stockport match and the Yorke situation.

Three interesting points from that article:

1. The obvious Yorke situation.

If he does decide to work for us that can only be a good thing. He had a better season than Cole in 02/03 but was terrible last season- could well profit from having Stead willing to pull defenders apart. Also is perhaps at his best playing just behind the strikers in a 4312.

On the other hand a renaissance could be short lived. It is a huge thing to remotivate yourself and quite often the momentum peters out.

Still, if we cant shift him it is to everybodies benefit to give him another shot.

2. Matteo in the midfeild.

Souness is obviously thinking about this for WBA, and from what the article said he looked decent. I personally am not particularly keen, I think we shoulld try and sign a young CM- Carrick would be ideal. Question marks hang over his ability to hold the midfield together but he can do that effectively as Dom. Fee would be in the 3 mill range- a lot of cash we have not got I hear you cry but he is young and even if he bombed we should be able to recoup 1.5 mill.

If we really have to I suppose Matteo could play there but he is a CD primarily and I cannot see him being an improvement on what we have- which begs the question:

3. What happend to Flitcroft?

No mention by anybody recently. Abducted by aliens? Injured? I would like to see him go to finance a move for someone like Carrick but surely if we still have him he should be in the squad. Bizzare....

Edited by joey_big_nose

Dave, i don't need a scapegoat for last season. It was a shitter and i felt every blow of it. Just because i think Emerton had a very dissapointing season after seeing what he is capable of and i make an opinion it means i'm not giving him a chance? I've been hearing in reports that he's been poor in friendlies against pub teams and Stockport, doesn't make good reading does it?

I couldn't give two flying sausages if Brett Emerton gets dropped after 5 games, never plays again and leaves Blackburn Rovers.

I'm more bothered about the team getting results and winning than Brett Emerton.

If he starts this season by beating every left back in each games i'll be delighted. If he beats half the left backs he plays against, i'll be delighted. If he plays this attacking minded role he's been speaking of so much i'll be over the sodding moon. As we'll most likely get the results we deserve. If he doesn't, then yes, i will be on his back and mainly because i want whats best for the team. Not whats best for Brettys precious confidence.

Many on this board had to have a scapegoat.

It's clear that Emerton is yours and T4E, you certainly take every opportunity to have a go, don't you?

Thats absolute nonsense Dave. You clearly have only been half reading my posts about Emerton.

I certainly dont consider him a scapegoat. If you could find me a post where I've blamed Emerton for a defeat then I'd be very surprised. For the umpteenth time, I will clarify - Emerton gets criticism for me due to the performance to talent ratio that he has. He is exceptionally talented, we can all see that. Yet players in this team, and in many other teams with only a tenth of his natural ability consistently out perform him. I will continue to be hard on him until I feel that he is performing somewhere close to what he is undoubtedly capable of. To say that I use him as a scapegoat is ridiculous.

He is exceptionally talented, we can all see that. Yet players in this team, and in many other teams with only a tenth of his natural ability consistently out perform him.

I'd say the same thing about Cole the last 2 seasons.

3. What happend to Flitcroft?

No mention by anybody recently. Abducted by aliens? Injured? I would like to see him go to finance a move for someone like Carrick but surely if we still have him he should be in the squad. Bizzare....

Completely agree.

By all accounts, Matteo is best suited to central defender, and while it's nice that he can provide backup in the center of midfield, it's apparently quite clear that that's not his natural position. With Thompson, Tugay, Flitcroft and Douglas available for selection at center mid, I'd much rather see Dom fighting for a place in the back four than displacing one of our true midfielders.

As for Flitcroft in particular... make a decision Souey. I'd rather he stay (although his wages would undoubtedly be high for those of a squad player), but if Souness has made up his mind that he's definitely not going to feature, then he needs to get rid and try to recoup some cash. Immediately.

The fact that he's part of that team is of no significance then.

It's acknowledged that he had one of the biggest "assists" in the premier last season is of no significance. Take away those assists and what does it do? Put the rovers on the back foot maybe?

He is better than he showed last season, but he isn't the touchline hugger that you want him to be.

I'll state this now, He is better running onto the ball, put behind the midfield and heading towards goal. Two goals come to mind one v Scotland and the other against England. If his midfeild partners did that for him evrysecond game, then you'd be singing his praises.

That's enough of Emerton, what about all the other abject failures from last season? Why aren't we berating them?

Edited by dave birch

I'll state this now, He is better running onto the ball, put behind the midfield and heading towards goal. Two goals come to mind one v Scotland and the other against England. If his midfeild partners did that for him evrysecond game, then you'd be singing his praises.

A bit like Ljungberg then? Works hard etc but isn't a traditional wide midfielder.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.